Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Fair enough ...but the season before he took over at Brentford ...they finished 6th I beleive.

The pattern seems to be one of consolidation rather than improvement 

Finished 5th the season before he took over so he never improved us during his time.

36 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Finished 5th the season before he took over so he never improved us during his time.

I always wondered why Brentford fans didn't seem too upset when losing DS to us, but after watching his track record as a manager it's nothing amazing really.

You seem to have picked up form recently, happy for you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Merson08 said:

I just wonder if were expecting too much from Dean Smith. Yes he gives attacking football but at the expense of our defense. Were sort of a role reversal to last season where we could defend but not score too many. DS previous record at Walsall and Brentford isn't really increasing the clubs position, just seems a different style of football and ensures the team turn up for the big guns like how Brentford always outplayed Villa with him as boss. Were also turning up for the big games but the teams where points are expected were dropping them to easily.

Here is a list of the club and finishing positions below;

Walsall 10th  62   2009/10
  20th 48   2010/11
  19th 50   2011/12
  9th 70   2012/13
  13th 58   2013/14
  14th 59   2014/15

Brentford 9th 65   2015/16
  10th 64   2016/17
  9th 69   2017/18

His win rate now is pretty much the same as it was at Walsall and at Brentford. 33-35%

He is massively overrated! 

I keep reading lately how we don’t have players good enough for his wonder-ball. That record suggests it isn’t all that either.  

Looking at the record I’m stunned he even got an interview, let alone the job. 

Edited by jim
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Merson08 said:

I just wonder if were expecting too much from Dean Smith. Yes he gives attacking football but at the expense of our defense. Were sort of a role reversal to last season where we could defend but not score too many. DS previous record at Walsall and Brentford isn't really increasing the clubs position, just seems a different style of football and ensures the team turn up for the big guns like how Brentford always outplayed Villa with him as boss. Were also turning up for the big games but the teams where points are expected were dropping them to easily.

Here is a list of the club and finishing positions below;

Walsall 10th  62   2009/10
  20th 48   2010/11
  19th 50   2011/12
  9th 70   2012/13
  13th 58   2013/14
  14th 59   2014/15

Brentford 9th 65   2015/16
  10th 64   2016/17
  9th 69   2017/18

His win rate now is pretty much the same as it was at Walsall and at Brentford. 33-35%

That’s not a fantastic record at all! I wasn’t overwhelmed by the appointment but we have to give the guy some time 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

That’s not a fantastic record at all! I wasn’t overwhelmed by the appointment but we have to give the guy some time 👍

Give him time to do what exactly? Take us backwards? Or turn us into mid table mediocrity.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Give him time to do what? 

Building yet another mid table side?

Beat me to it!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Context is everything though. With both Walsall and Brentford, he got a tune out of lower quality players. The theory being that if he could get those teams with those players up to that level, what can he do with a bigger budget and better players. 

Time will tell  

• Like 1

He hasn't so far performed to the level any of us had hoped after the start he had but taking all things into consideration, the pre-season unknowns, change of ownership then Bruce leaving us in a mess and all that stuff, we really need to put it all into context.

It's clear this squad was overrated by many for some time and it appears the objective seems to have changed to be more geared at having a real crack next season. Making play-offs this season would be seen as a bonus I imagine, but it isn't all riding on promotion like it was last season with Xia at the helm.

I can't believe we're talking about getting rid of him. I really think we need to be less trigger-happy this time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jim said:

Beat me to it!

Ok let’s fire him and start again, who do we fancy now ???? We can’t keep chopping and changing. We went for Bruce lost patience what do you want now. We’re no longer such a big attractive pull we would like to think. 

31 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Yeah, and your team went on this fantastic run after Smith left:

Wins: 1

Draws: 1

Losses: 8

You guys were promotion contenders before he left, now you're just a bottom half team.  I think he massively improved you from where you would be without him.

Just now, villalad21 said:

Brentford finished 5th before he took over. He didn't improve them

Would be incredibly hard for a club like Brentford to improve on a 5th placed finish though. They are always going to lose their better players to so called bigger clubs. Happened to them each season he was there and they still performed reasonably well. Happened this season with Woods and then Mepham in January too. Brentford finishing 5th in the Championship is their peak.

2 minutes ago, Avcol said:

Would be incredibly hard for a club like Brentford to improve on a 5th placed finish though. They are always going to lose their better players to so called bigger clubs. Happened to them each season he was there and they still performed reasonably well. Happened this season with Woods and then Mepham in January too. Brentford finishing 5th in the Championship is their peak.

Bournemouth didn't have much resources either and look what Eddie Howe achieved.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Bournemouth didn't have much resources either and look what Eddie Howe achieved.

Bournemouth were bankrolled by Maxim Demin. Brentford to my knowledge don't have a sugar daddy. Not to say Eddie Howe hasn't done a fantastic job but Bournemouth did have plenty of resources. Didn't need to sell their players every summer.

Edited by Avcol
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Avcol said:

Contrast this to Villa over the years.  We sell our best players and replace them with shit, hence why we've gone from competing for Champions League football 10 years ago to being a mid-table Championship club today.  It wasn't an instantaneous change, but a gradual slippage because of one after another poor business decisions.  Selling your best players and not reinvesting properly year over year, as Villa have shown, will result in the club dropping down the table.  The fact that Smith was able to stabilize Brentford's league position, while losing his best players every year, its an accomplishment themselves.  Also, Brentford were genuine promotion contenders before Smith left and came to Villa.  After he left, they lost 8 out of their next 10 games and slipped to the bottom of the table.  That was a direct result of Smith leaving that club.  Period.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Brentford finished 5th before he took over. He didn't improve them

Well we're not Brentford. He has improved us however.

Bruce's record until he was sacked:

P11 W3 D6 L2 14 points. Average position of opponents: 15th

Smith's first 11 games in charge:

P11 W5 D3 L3 18 point: Average position of opponents: 9th

The 6 games since haven't been the greatest results:

P6 W1 D4 L1

But it's coincided with losing our talisman and our best defender. We have a ways to go, but changing the manager would be madness, much less one who is showing promise and willingness to change the club ethos along with the new owners.

22 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Ok let’s fire him and start again, who do we fancy now ???? We can’t keep chopping and changing. We went for Bruce lost patience what do you want now. We’re no longer such a big attractive pull we would like to think. 

On the flip side we just keep a crap manager just because? 

He is an average mid table championship manager and that exactly what he will turn us into if we keep him beyond the summer. 

I disagree, this club does have the pull to attract a better calibre if manager. 

Â