Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I can agree with that.

But i got to say, tactically i have not been impressed with Smith. Only one way in playing, no plan b whatsoever when things doesn't work.

We have 2 of the best strikers in the league, it's really a shame we won't ever see a potentially 4-4-2 or even a 3-5-2 with Kodjia and Abraham up front.

Smith switched from a 4-2-3-1 to a 3-5-2 at Walsall for the 15/16 season after little success with 4-2-3-1. He put Jedinak on against Reading switching the system up to allow Carroll to go further forward. That was his plan B after identifying a lack of service to the striker. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Sam3773
Wrong player..
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

Smith switched from a 4-2-3-1 to a 3-5-2 at Walsall for the 15/16 season after little success with 4-2-3-1. He put Jedinak on against Reading switching the system up to allow McGinn to go further forward. That was his plan B after identifying a lack of service to the striker. 🤷‍♂️

To be fair it was the 89th minute and Mcginn had cramp. I think at that stage it was as important not to lose the game as it was to win it. 

6 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

He put Jedinak on against Reading switching the system up to allow McGinn to go further forward.

Jedi replaced McGinn mate, dunno what game you were watching.

There were no formation switch in that game

Just now, villalad21 said:

Jedi replaced McGinn mate, dunno what game you were watching.

There were no formation switch in that game

Amended just now. Watch Smith's post match interview. 

14 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Absolutely not. Bring a new manager in during the summer, rip up what Smith has started and try and build something different over one transfer window before the fans start blaming him for there not being instant success. No thanks.

Dean Smith is building something here, it's going to take time.

I was first going to say what lunacy is this being spoken, then i got to the second bit and it wll came together where i couldnt agree more.

To many instant success people here and just like whatever road you take there is no quick success to anything. You want quick schemes then try the lottery, even then you could be waiting all your life and it may never happen.

seriously I'm prepared to wait as long as it takes and it will happen under Smith eventually, you can see hes hungry for success and raring tofight for whst he believes in

Its probably those same people who wanted bruce gone when things wernt going right, then shout him out like he's a God when things are going well, that kind of thinking is stupid.

Support or dont but at this stage when you shout Smith down what type of supporter does that make you, it doesn't make you one at all. More than anything believe in what the owners are doing, Smith would be gone if they didn't believe in him.

It really is sad to see people be like this at what is still very early in Smith's coaching, I'll support Smith till he's no longer at villa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

But they won one without kane and Son as only played one!! If Son hadnt returned they wouldn’t have won the second two games because he scored crucial goals in both! 

City lost 3 in a row when Fernandinho got injured. Yes it shouldn’t be an excuse but you can’t downplay how much losing big players affects ANY team! The proof is staring you in the face yet you don’t want to admit it because you have it in for Smith and won’t give the guy a chance!

To add to that, we are comparing managers who have had seasons to mold and drill their squads (In the case of Leeds a full preseason) with their squads, to one who came in mid season.

I'll continue to be captain obvious until it's no longer valid.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Smith has started his rebuild for next season. As you can see there is a long way to go....

Kalinic

Hause  Mings Guilbert

Carrol

Add Grealish, Mcginn, Davis to that and we have 8 players total, not a million miles off a decent first team.

I just hope we sign Mings as he looks great , and also Carroll if he peforms well.

• Like 2

Norwich city- Daniel farke has been with the club since 2017.

Leeds utd- Marciela bielsa has been with the club since 2017.

Sheffield utd- Chris wilder has been with the club since 2016.

West brom- Darren Moore has been with the club since 2018.

Middlesborough- Tony Pulls has been with the club since 2017, before that west Brom for a couple of seasons.

Bristol city- Lee Johnson has been with the club since 2016.

Derby county- frank lampard has been with them since 2018.

What I'm trying to get on here is looking at the direction in which a club wants to go. those clubs who have employed the following coaches/managers have obviously been on a path before the above mentioned joined. Those clubs found there direction which to them was successful in championship standards and fighting for promotion. Look at how each one was running before and how they are running now and you will see the long road in which they have had to walk in order to be in that top bunch.

We have barely scratched the surface of what were capable of, I would go as far to say that we are so far behind these clubs that they have found there path and are ready to fight for promotion all while we are not. Sure we have stripped our club dry and replaced everything apart from the players, in order for us to be that squad we need to do that as well. I see those championship sides with well built squads who cost way less and it's because it's took patience and good long tough work on a road that has been very long and full of curves. Not every player who joins there side is an ace, but they have kept the ones that were and built teams tbat took absoloutly a long time to make, its no easy task. Then those managers and coaches who are there now have built squads that are more refined than what ours was, that refined that compared to ours they have promotion winning squads.

There's so much to look at but I believe we are not ready yet, I do not think we will be ready next season. It's going to be interesting next season, won't even recognise our team, we however need to get used to life here for a while an learn to slow things down and plan for the future, not be so quick to gamble and get rid.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Norwich city- Daniel farke has been with the club since 2017.

Leeds utd- Marciela bielsa has been with the club since 2017.

Sheffield utd- Chris wilder has been with the club since 2016.

West brom- Darren Moore has been with the club since 2018.

Middlesborough- Tony Pulls has been with the club since 2017, before that west Brom for a couple of seasons.

Bristol city- Lee Johnson has been with the club since 2016.

Derby county- frank lampard has been with them since 2018.

Bielsa joined Leeds in June 2018

Edited by sne

8 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Add Grealish, Mcginn, Davis to that and we have 8 players total, not a million miles off a decent first team.

I just hope we sign Mings as he looks great , and also Carroll if he peforms well.

I think we’ll have to cash in Grealish tbh. Mcginn and Davis I expect to stick around though. 

I also think we’ll go for Maupay. 

56 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think we’ll have to cash in Grealish tbh. Mcginn and Davis I expect to stick around though. 

I wonder if Carroll has been brought in as a possible replacement for Grealish? (If he performs well etc)

Or at least to be part of the midfield that Grealish won't be in next season 

Edited by MaVilla

I like Maupay and joe lolley if Grealish goes for deffo he would be the replacement we need.

Edited by Dave-R

Think if we get rid of Grealish says one thing, that the owners stating no one is leaving was rubbish, that were desperate to ease FFP which I don't think is the case when spending 7 mill on a keeper.

I think Jack will stay unless it gets worse, I think all our players who are worth something, have seen the club's new direction and because they love it here are willing to win promotion and risk it all to get villa back in the premiere.

Jack could of gone last season, should of and didn't, I guess we will truly know how much a villa fan jack is come next season. I also do not know anyone who's going to come in and  spend 40-50 million on Jack when spurs are looking to dash 50 mill on David Brooks.

11 hours ago, Sam3773 said:

Smith switched from a 4-2-3-1 to a 3-5-2 at Walsall for the 15/16 season after little success with 4-2-3-1. He put Jedinak on against Reading switching the system up to allow Carroll to go further forward. That was his plan B after identifying a lack of service to the striker. 🤷‍♂️

Good plan if switched sooner.

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

Think if we get rid of Grealish says one thing, that the owners stating no one is leaving was rubbish, that were desperate to ease FFP which I don't think is the case when spending 7 mill on a keeper.

I think Jack will stay unless it gets worse, I think all our players who are worth something, have seen the club's new direction and because they love it here are willing to win promotion and risk it all to get villa back in the premiere.

Jack could of gone last season, should of and didn't, I guess we will truly know how much a villa fan jack is come next season. I also do not know anyone who's going to come in and  spend 40-50 million on Jack when spurs are looking to dash 50 mill on David Brooks.

Forget loving it here, for Jack's personal career regardless of his love for Villa will be better served away from Villa. His potential wont be hit at Villa Park. Next year is the Euro's he wont be picked for that playing for Villa. 

I think the club wanted him for one last season and his contract signing was to ensure Villa got the best price for him, rather than to see the entire contract out. I think if he leaves its for personal growth rather than the owners chatting rubbish or to ease FFP. 

• Like 1

Really hope this was the last season where we tried to build a Championship/fringe PL players dream team.

Horrible, expensive strategy that will not work next season either.

Hope the club and Smith is smarter than that. 

15 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve said many times that if we are still shit when Jack is back ill be the first to say I think Smith isn’t the right man for the job. 

If the results do turn for us I wonder if you will be able to admit how much we miss Jack or will you still be constantly bitching and moaning about Smith?   Only time will tell.

We have only won 38% of the games he has played this season so people pinning their hopes on him to instantly transform things may be rather disappointed

Grealish wont be sticking around Villa for another year, he's given us 2 years in the Championship, he deserves to be playing in the Premier League, think we have to be realistic. 

Dean Smith needs to build a new team, new spine for the coming 1/2 years that we'll be in Championship. I reckon we won't be ready next year either as it will be a new team over again, the year after i would be hoping that we get have a better chance of promotion.  Why can't we be the team that turns a bunch of average footballers into promotion contenders, the same as how Cardiff, Norwich and Leeds have done. We over rely on has been premier league players and i'm sick of it, sick of giving large wages to players for the short term too.  Whilst I haven't been impressed as of late with Dean Smith, i'm willing to give him time and see what his team can achieve. 

• Like 1

Grealish will look at how players such as Maddison and Brooks have elevated themselves as a result of playing with far better players and want in on that action. Whilst he is our best player and I'd prefer to keep him it ought not need be a great tragedy to lose him. If anything we should be a better side if we reinvest his fee wisely, just has Norwich have done having lost their best players recently.

• Like 1

Â