Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Now he has all the centre backs, I’d like him to give 3-5-2 a go. When everyone is fit:-

Kalinic

Tuanzabe Chester Mings 

El-Ghazi McGinn Carrol Green 

Grealish 

Kodjia     Abraham 

• Like 2

Smith's brand of football depends on eleven players embracing the system and playing as a unit. This is clearly not happening and probably wont happen with our current first eleven. We have a number of players who are so set in their ways that they can't adapt. 

Holding midfielders who either automatically pass backwards or sideways, or give the ball away immediately if they try to play forward. Full backs who either play head down and flat out going forward or play like out of position headless chickens defensively, both incapable of reliable end product. Wide men who repeat the same runs into heavily marked blind alleys, and are also unreliable at filling in for absent full backs, etc etc.

I'm not blaming Smith for that because they're not his players.

I remember him saying that when Ollie Watkins was signed for Brentford it took six months to get him to adapt to Smith's style of play. Watkins is a young player and was able to adapt, but imagine trying to convert players who have played negatively or as individuals all their long careers, into a quick neat and unselfish attacking unit.

It's probably not going to happen until major surgery is attempted this summer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Smith's brand of football depends on eleven players embracing the system and playing as a unit. This is clearly not happening and probably wont happen with our current first eleven. We have a number of players who are so set in their ways that they can't adapt. 

Holding midfielders who either automatically pass backwards or sideways, or give the ball away immediately if they try to play forward. Full backs who either play head down and flat out going forward or play like out of position headless chickens defensively, both incapable of reliable end product. Wide men who repeat the same runs into heavily marked blind alleys, and are also unreliable at filling in for absent full backs, etc etc.

I remember him saying that when Ollie Watkins was signed for Brentford it took six months to get him to adapt to Smith's style of play. Watkins is a young player and was able to adapt, but imagine trying to convert players who have played negatively or as individuals all their long careers, into a quick neat and unselfish attacking unit.

do you mean removing their legs? and replacing them with prosthetic ones that run.😄

Edited by TRO

6 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I think there really is something to this. Looking at both Bruce and Smith it appears that their footballing philosophies are vastly different yet we still see the same type of play right now. I don't know if it's old ways being so deeply ingrained that as soon as the heat is on all that goes on at practice goes out the door whilst in game or that some players just can't adapt. I suppose only time will tell.

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

I think there really is something to this. Looking at both Bruce and Smith it appears that their footballing philosophies are vastly different yet we still see the same type of play right now. I don't know if it's old ways being so deeply ingrained that as soon as the heat is on all that goes on at practice goes out the door whilst in game or that some players just can't adapt. I suppose only time will tell.

You know what I'm not even sure it's that they won't try, I think it's literally that a number of players just aren't good enough to play it.

A good number I think jist don't have the intelligence, composure, vision, movement, agility etc etc etc

A bit like saying to me, go and run the 100m in sub 10 seconds, it's just not gonna happen no matter how many times you tell me :)

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, hippo said:

not saying you're wrong - but of the managers we have dispensed with - who would you have kept on longer ? 

Probably none of them, but I am prepared to give Smith longer than three months before I start slagging him off.

The fact that he brought on Jedinak in the last 10 minutes when we are 0-0 against a relegation team is worrying.

He were actually scared to lose against Reading. That says alot.

No b***s to this guy, he is a coward. Job too big for him. Draws are worthless at this stage.

A day after i'm still furious of his tactical decisions in that game. I can see him being the next Lambert, all started promising, but then when it's not going well he cannot handle the pressure. Hope he prove me wrong though and i'm not DS out yet.

Edited by villalad21

2 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Imagine trying to get the likes of Whelan, Jedinak and Hutton to adapt to Smith's style of play.

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The fact that he brought on Jedinak in the last 10 minutes when we are 0-0 against a relegation team is worrying.

No b***s to this guy, he is a coward. Job too big for him. Draws are worthless at this stage.

A day after i'm still furious of his tactical decisions in that game. I can see him being the next Lambert, all started promising, but then when it's not going well he cannot handle the pressure. Hope he prove me wrong though and i'm not DS out yet.

Who would you replace McGinn with ?it was the only midfielder available.

Would you leave our midfield with Caroll and a tired Hourihane?  Do the classic play all the strikers that works so well? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skruff said:

Who would you replace McGinn with ?it was the only midfielder available.

Would you leave our midfield with Caroll and a tired Hourihane?  Do the classic play all the strikers that works so well? 

Yes i would bring on Davis and play 4-4-2 to actually try to win the game.

This 3 man midfield without Grealish isn't working and i just can't understand why DS sticks with the same system when it's not working.

If i had to use Jedi i would throw him up front and play very direct.

Edited by villalad21

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Perhaps you would have preferred the Bruce approach of throwing on as many forwards as possible in the vain hope that one of them scores.  His subs included a forward and two midfield players.  That hardly suggests somebody who is a coward. It is a manager who has inherited players who are not capable of playing the way that he wants.

1 minute ago, Fazilla said:

Perhaps you would have preferred the Bruce approach of throwing on as many forwards as possible in the vain hope that one of them scores.  His subs included a forward and two midfield players. 

And that centre forward was brought on as a winger. When have DS ever changed his tactics and gameplan during a game to change a game?

I can't remember it ever. We play the same exact way in the same exact shape regardless of the result.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fazilla said:

Imagine trying to get the likes of Whelan, Jedinak and Hutton to adapt to Smith's style of play.

strange how all these "shit players" weren't shit when they were playing in a winning team. Hutton, Taylor, Elmo, Whelan, Admoah, Hourihane were all in the teams that were beating Derby,Boro, Blues yet now they are the worst things ever and the cause of all Smiths problems

5 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

strange how all these "shit players" weren't shit when they were playing in a winning team. Hutton, Taylor, Elmo, Whelan, Admoah, Hourihane were all in the teams that were beating Derby,Boro, Blues yet now they are the worst things ever and the cause of all Smiths problems

Nah they were shit then too. It’s just left evident when Jacks in the team.

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Nah they were shit then too. It’s just left evident when Jacks in the team.

Such a convenient excuse when things aren't going well.

Wonder what people on here would say when Jack is back and if we're still not performing. "We miss Axel" "Jack is not fit yet"

Edited by villalad21

2 hours ago, osmark86 said:

I don’t think it was due to Bruce’s style as such. He just did poorly in the transfer market and signed players that are quite limited. Whether that’s due to restricted budget or poor scouting I don’t know. But overall the players bought in haven’t been good enough. 

A lot of what Smith achieves wil be down to how we do in the transfer market yet again. 

Â