Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Defensively we looked very solid today. And I expect that to improve. Which is positive. 

However the wide play worried me.  We soak up a lot of pressure and spread some good long balls to our wingers. Which I don't mind. As it can be very sucessfull in causing imbalance in the oppositions defence. And it was working, until the wingers got the ball. From there on, the attacking play fell to pieces. 

Poor crosses. Good overlaps being missed because someone is busy doing steppovers or running down into cul de sacs. Not shifting the ball back in centrally quick enough. Etc. 

If he keeps persisting with focusing our attacks down on the flanks with our current ineffective wingers I'll start to question him. But then again, what other options is there?

Unless we find a solution with a different formation or coaching the widemen. Which is all Deans responsibility.

I think our wins will hugely depend on what sort of day our wingers are having. . But I'd  be far more critical if this was his own players. If the future signings are anything like Mings(still premature) I think we have an exciting future ahead of us under Smith. Just not this season. 

Edited by Skruff
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, av1 said:

This place is hilarious sometimes. Take a look around all the player threads, everyone agrees that both full backs are awful, that John McGinn is the only midfielder we have and both wingers are useless. 

Some of those very same posters come into this thread and claim that Smith is rubbish because this squad is easily good enough to finish top 6. 

So true on the first paragraph and the second it's honestly unbelievable that the support has diminished fast for Smith. They blame Smith for a squad which struggled now under two managers, yet i think you could dangle that squad under 50 managers and the outcomes would be the same. I think people don't realise that the problem with these players are the exact reasons why there contracts are not getting renewed and they will be replaced as soon as possible. The club will cut ties than see this lot who have constantly messed up continue on, they all know who they are.

You can't blame anyone but the players for the messes we've been left in on the pitch, some of them have made some boy scout errors that have cost us matches.

I really don't understand why they think the only area that doesn't need overwriting is the squad, it has not been working. The rest of the club got scorched and replaced, the squad shouldn't be above being touched either.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, terrytini said:

I’ve little appetite for posting these days but I thought I would just pop in to say this.

Whilst I share the disappointment that there has been a drop in performances after a decent start, i think it’s worth pointing out ( although I’m sure I’ll be told it’s not !)  that Smith has had 18 League games from which we’ve got 28 Points.

In the same period Leeds, a decent benchmark ?,  have accrued 34 Points. 

We were leading Leeds 2-0, and they won late on. 

Whilst im aware of the “ if my granny had nuts ..” etc line, it’s the case that had we Won just that 1 game, against Leeds, our record under Smith would match them.....it’d be 31 Points each.

Now, if you want to be pessimistic, you can pick holes in that. But if you want something to feel positive about, it shoukd help !

Long way to go !

Terry, feel free to post more often!

9 hours ago, hippo said:

your point was lack of patience got us into this mess - I was asking for examples where the club hasn't been patient.

(what I post on here - has no impact of the decisions the club makes)

My point was as a club, including us fans, we need to be patient. I absolutely agree posts on VT have no influence over decisions made by the club ( Thankfully!). But fans who attend matches create an atmosphere and a positive, supportive atmosphere at games does have a huge impact. 

As for examples of where the club hasn’t been patient there are arguments to say that a rapid turn over of managers in the last ten years has demonstrated impatience. However I don’t remember much disagreement on the departures. For me the problem has been that we haven’t had anything but the most simplistic of plans from successive owners. Early Lerner was get into the top 4, down graded to stay out of the bottom 3. Xia get promoted, neither had a plan as to how to do it other than chuck money at it. 

The new owners appear to have a plan with some depth. They have put together a proper football club management team with talented individuals who they want to change the philosophy of the whole club. This includes how we operate as a business and how we develop and coach teams at all levels including and ultimately the first team.

So for the first time, possibly ever, we are aiming to be a modern football club that has a plan as to how to be successful and sustainable. Once we start to see these aims develop we can start to see progress towards our short term goal of promotion, medium term goal of establishing us in the PL and long term goal of winning trophies. 

Personnel at all levels will change from time to time for a variety of reasons, but I think they will all be given time and backing to do the job they have been selected for. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Bruce left an incredible mess in many ways, it's going to take a long time to fix, we absolutely shouldn't expect much from this season.

I agree - but equally we don't chuck in the towel just yet !

• Like 1

10 hours ago, villarocker said:

Leeds only signed one new player going into this season and now they're title contenders. His point is valid! 

It would be more valid and a better comparison if we had the same team as we had last year and Smith joined us at the start of the summer. 

• Like 1

I appreciate both sides. It’s clear to me that Smith needs a preseason and a summer window to shape this team. However, shoots of recovery need to be seen this season, patience for patience’s sake is no good either (see Lambert).

I think the club should assess this early in the summer and ask some vital questions. Is Smith the man to undertake this overhaul? What’s his plan? What has he implemented thus far? What other options are out there as head coach? Is there someone better equipped and getable to undertake this? We need to be ruthless in this regard.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I appreciate both sides. It’s clear to me that Smith needs a preseason and a summer window to shape this team. However, shoots of recovery need to be seen this season, patience for patience’s sake is no good either (see Lambert).

I think the club should assess this early in the summer and ask some vital questions. Is Smith the man to undertake this overhaul? What’s his plan? What has he implemented thus far? What other options are out there as head coach? Is there someone better equipped and getable to undertake this? We need to be ruthless in this regard.

Agree. We have 16 games left and if we end the season in worse form then we he took over I think the club should re-evaluate if he is the right man for the job. 

• Like 3

Just now, wilko154 said:

Absolutely not. Bring a new manager in during the summer, rip up what Smith has started and try and build something different over one transfer window before the fans start blaming him for there not being instant success. No thanks.

Dean Smith is building something here, it's going to take time.

I didnt say they must sack him. Just need to avoid letting the wrong man start the rebuild.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Absolutely not. Bring a new manager in during the summer, rip up what Smith has started and try and build something different over one transfer window before the fans start blaming him for there not being instant success. No thanks.

Dean Smith is building something here, it's going to take time.

Even if Smith isn’t the right man and we don’t look to have improved between now and the end of the season? We keep him just because...

What exactly has Smith started? 

It’ll be reviewed in the summer. If the form of the past ten games carries on into the final sixteen games, let’s say a further three or four wins at most, I think they would at least have a discussion about where they go from there.

I don’t think that’s completely unreasonable. Next season could end up being like Farke and Norwich this season, or it could be another wasted season.

Let’s hope we can salvage something from this season with some sort of of sign that there’s something to work with next season.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, roonst83 said:

Whilst I agree with the fact that those players listed are mostly poor there’s not many other better options available at the moment.

I would definitely start Kodjia over either winger. 

He could try Elmo as an out and out winger.  Try Davis up front. He's had the chance to give O'Hare another go but never did. 

I admit we are down on numbers but all those guys seem nailed on regardless of trying anything different and it's just not working. 

• Like 1

I’m the first one to say that the bulk of these players are terrible, but we’re continuing to see a huge variance between what Smith articulates in his interviews - which show such a refreshing, technical and strategic knowledge of the game that is a pleasure to listen to - and what we are seeing on the pitch. 

The obvious deduction here is that either a) these players are not doing what they are told and purposely disobeying Smith or b) Smith talks a good game but actually is all talk and no substance and completely over engineers. 

Its probably a blend of the two; there is some absolute dross in the team - Hourihane, Whelan, Taylor - but there is enough ability there to be beating bottom of the league without needing the ref. 

What is undeniable, even from the happy clappers, is that performances and, more importantly, results have not been up to scratch. 

Yes, Smith needs his own players. Granted. But, if he is a good Manager then he should be able to get a better tune out of this group than he is, because what he is delivering at the moment is unacceptable.

It’s very rare in modern football for a Manager to be given a perfect set of conditions to operate in, yet that is what the North Koreans on here want to be put in place before Smith can even begin to be questioned. Any Manager, given perfect conditions, will likely deliver but in reality it isn’t possible. 

He needs to start showing his acumen and getting more out of the players we have. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

I’m the first one to say that the bulk of these players are terrible, but we’re continuing to see a huge variance between what Smith articulates in his interviews - which show such a refreshing, technical and strategic knowledge of the game that is a pleasure to listen to - and what we are seeing on the pitch. 

The obvious deduction here is that either a) these players are not doing what they are told and purposely disobeying Smith or b) Smith talks a good game but actually is all talk and no substance and completely over engineers. 

Its probably a blend of the two; there is some absolute dross in the team - Hourihane, Whelan, Taylor - but there is enough ability there to be beating bottom of the league without needing the ref. 

What is undeniable, even from the happy clappers, is that performances and, more importantly, results have not been up to scratch. 

Yes, Smith needs his own players. Granted. But, if he is a good Manager then he should be able to get a better tune out of this group than he is, because what he is delivering at the moment is unacceptable.

It’s very rare in modern football for a Manager to be given a perfect set of conditions to operate in, yet that is what the North Koreans on here want to be put in place before Smith can even begin to be questioned. Any Manager, given perfect conditions, will likely deliver but in reality it isn’t possible. 

He needs to start showing his acumen and getting more out of the players we have. 

You raise some valid points.

• Like 1

Â