Dean Smith

Demitri_C

28 minutes ago, hippo said:

To be fair to DS if he had confidence in the u23's I am sure he would play them. But like managers before him I don't think he see's much there.

The trouble is there are a number of players out of of contract at the end if the season so the summer rebuild will arguably be bigger than any in recent history, so having a look at some of the kids may be vital. 

The trouble is of course we still aren't a million miles away from the play-off places so long term planning runs the risk of damaging our short term aims, it's a difficult balance. 

Edited by av1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its not Deans Fault.....but he has to make his mark.

He needs to exercise his authority and now is as good a time as any.

We are midtable, nothing to lose.

many moons ago Tommy Docherty's great Chelsea team went on lash in Blackpool during a cup week end......Tommy' was fuming and threatened to drop all his stars...

Reporter said " You can't do that, who will you play......."The kids "he retorted, if they can't do as they are told, I'll play those that will"

Thats the sort of conkers Dean needs to grow.

****ing leave the toss pots out......l'll suport him and I believe the crowd would too.

The Villa crowd have always been supportive if the effort is going in, hence McGinn's popularity......what they won't put up with is pussies and short step merchants who pull out of tackles.

I don't disagree with any of that mate, apart from the being mid table with nothing to lose. We are still only a few points off the playoffs so he has to be a itte bit careful.  

7 minutes ago, av1 said:

The trouble is there are a number of players out of of contract at the end if the season so the summer rebuild will arguably be bigger than any in recent history.

Na, don't kid yourself as there is no rebuild.

We're just going to be playing 5 a side apparantly!   :crylaugh:

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Don’t get the new manager bounce thing. It’s like saying, ok we will try a bit harder for a bit at the start,  then slack off again. 

Yes i am thinking , maybe it’s like hmm new manager in / all slate wipe clean / if I work hard okay well he likes me will offer new contract. Couple of weeks later  , can’t adapt perform /playing  style required by new manager , feel no chance of new contract. Just go thru motion than .. maybe new manager get sack due to poor ..another new manager another new hope ?? 

54 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

Smith has had the chance to put some credit in the bank and chuck in a youngster when grealish was injured he could of given O'Hare a run in the team. Even just 60 mins for 5 consecutive games.

This would have :

a) bloodied a talented youth     

b) loved by the fans another brummy in the team and a manager not afraid to utilize the youth set up            

c)enabled us to keep the same style of play and shape

a) yes

b) probably

c) No. It's a big No too. O'Hare isn't a midfielder in the same way that Grealish is - he can be played just in front of two midfielders or as a support striker, at a push he can play out on the right, but he can't fit into our current shape easily. It's very difficult to play him without changing the shape. We changed it to a 4-4-1-1 against Swansea and it didn't work, either for us or for O'Hare. 

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

c) No. It's a big No too. O'Hare isn't a midfielder in the same way that Grealish is - he can be played just in front of two midfielders or as a support striker, at a push he can play out on the right, but he can't fit into our current shape easily. It's very difficult to play him without changing the shape. We changed it to a 4-4-1-1 against Swansea and it didn't work, either for us or for O'Hare. 

He's the closest thing we have to a grealish. He has the same floppy hair and loves a give and go. Unless you put Gazi in the number 10 role. Or bring in Ravel Morrission. That november and december was champagne football. now it's like watching clueless rocket polishers who want the 90 mins to be over so they can get down the hair cut shop before a night on the razzle.

The way of playing now is centre halves will play square balls to each other. whelan will get it give it straight back to the other centre half who will think oh shit I've got it back and pump it down the channel for Bolasie to chase. and hope something will happen.

its not a way of playing ...it's press and guess.

Smith will move the little magnets around the white board in front of O'Kelly and Terry and the conversation in the managers office goes a little something like this:

Smith "Check this one out boys"

O'Kelly "loving that"

Terry "Yes those long balls inbetween the full back and centre half will bring great joy to Bolasie he **** loves it down there the saucy git"

Smith "sorted... quick splash and dash and I'll see you in the belfry in 15 for a cheeky 9"

Terry "yeeeeeah boi"

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Add bite to a midfield when your losing? There is more bite from a man without his dentures in than whelan. He is garbage. Davis would have been a better option. His bullying and creating space is exactly what we needed. Apply pressure on their defence to help Tammy.

Elphick was not playing badly I don't get that sub still. Chester wasn't doing great but Jesus he was 100cx better than hause who I don't want to get on his back as he didn't look match fit to me. Another poor bit of management from Deano there.

An extra striker when we had virtually nothing in midfield and no control is just a waste of a player. 

• Thanks 1

The way I see it, there are 3 problems it could be: (couldn't think think of 99:))

1.   Dean smith is a great coach but can't manage with the big boys.

2.   Most of the players know they are gonna be Villa history the end of the season.

3.   They are knackered after the Christmas period.

I'm not going for the 5th that they are all shit, cause I find it hard to believe after the start of Smith's reign. 

I also think that confidence is a big factor, lessor teams are regularly making us look shite. Firstly by outfighting us and secondly due to the lack of protection on the flanks. The full backs have looked appalling at times recently but the wingers/midfield offer little or no protection as far as I can see anyway and opposition have sussed that out. The fact that we're cut open so easily must be having a negative effect on confidence of the team. It's a big task for Smith to sort this out but he'll have to. 

6 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

You could well be right here and I would be all for seeing us over the remainder of the season phase out the likes of Whelan, Hutton, Taylor, Thor, Adomah etc. Jedinak seems to have already been disregarded. A run in the side should be given to younger and you'd hope hungrier players in the likes of Hause, Bree, Doyle Hayes, O'Hare, Davis and if they could be called back Mitch Clark and Green. I'd also hope any further signings this month will meet that younger and hungrier criteria.

Me too mate 👍

• Like 1

So if we play a very youthful side in the next month and get beat by 4, 5 and 6 you’ll be comfortable with it because it’s with the reserve players?

I find that philosophy very odd. Play your best team. If you are in a position to blood youngsters then great but not at the cost of weakening the team, or deepening a bad patch into a crisis.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, screwdriver said:

He's the closest thing we have to a grealish. He has the same floppy hair and loves a give and go. Unless you put Gazi in the number 10 role. Or bring in Ravel Morrission. That november and december was champagne football. now it's like watching clueless rocket polishers who want the 90 mins to be over so they can get down the hair cut shop before a night on the razzle.

The way of playing now is centre halves will play square balls to each other. whelan will get it give it straight back to the other centre half who will think oh shit I've got it back and pump it down the channel for Bolasie to chase. and hope something will happen.

its not a way of playing ...it's press and guess.

Smith will move the little magnets around the white board in front of O'Kelly and Terry and the conversation in the managers office goes a little something like this:

Smith "Check this one out boys"

O'Kelly "loving that"

Terry "Yes those long balls inbetween the full back and centre half will bring great joy to Bolasie he **** loves it down there the saucy git"

Smith "sorted... quick splash and dash and I'll see you in the belfry in 15 for a cheeky 9"

Terry "yeeeeeah boi"

Are you actually Ravel Morrison in disguise?

You literally mention him in nearly every post you make?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, av1 said:

I don't disagree with any of that mate, apart from the being mid table with nothing to lose. We are still only a few points off the playoffs so he has to be a itte bit careful.  

Half of this team are taking us nowhere......i wouldn't have Taylor near the canteen never mind the first team.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

So if we play a very youthful side in the next month and get beat by 4, 5 and 6 you’ll be comfortable with it because it’s with the reserve players?

I find that philosophy very odd. Play your best team. If you are in a position to blood youngsters then great but not at the cost of weakening the team, or deepening a bad patch into a crisis.

Or allowing the manager to exert his authority, by saying i ain't putting up with that.

is that not a crucial point.?... in our existence.

We are picking the best team in our heads.....they are ****.

I know times have changed, and its not so easy to do what they did in the past, but...

I think we need a shankly or a saunders approach this ****show of a football team needs sorting out....its been bumping along for too long.

We need a radical approach.

If I was Dean, i would be saying to each and every one of them.....you will go before me...give me another performance like that and it will be next week.

The board have to back him to get tough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â