Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, macandally said:

Attitude, Pace, strength and energy.  Sounds simple but that is what Smith needs to play a high tempo pressing game.

Now look at our squad!😞.  Get our talented u23s out on loan (like RHM has just done), Scout for pacey, young and hungry players in lower leagues and abroad and let’s see if we can do it with kids.  A fresh, young and new group.

We get another chance to get it right in the summer, we simply can not afford to get it wrong again.

Actually think Smith stands a better chance of getting a tune out of younger, lesser known players rather than big name, expensive players. 

Younger players are much more coachable and would be more receptive to Smith’s modern day tactics. 

Also think this is why established players like Hourihane, Whelan, Chester, Taylor, etc. are struggling. 

Don't people remember we can't really spend. If we don't get promoted this season, which is looking more an more unlikely, we are well and truely f******. No Grealish, no Abraham, no Bolasie, most of the other players are shite. Expect a Sunderland decline!

• Sad 1

Isn’t this year the end of the three year ffp cycle or something, so we would be able to spend again next summer? 

Tho like Pimlico just said, might be a good thing for the club to get young lesser known players in for a manager like Dean Smith. Not fooked by ffp at all, be nice to have money to spend but might be a blessing in disguise if we dont. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Don't people remember we can't really spend. If we don't get promoted this season, which is looking more an more unlikely, we are well and truely f******. No Grealish, no Abraham, no Bolasie, most of the other players are shite. Expect a Sunderland decline!

We can spend, we've already spent money this window.

Bolasie is pants, I would rather bring Green back and give him a go on the left.

Grealish will bring in 30-40 million, that could bring in 4 new high quality players. He would be a massive loss but could help build the team with the money.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

No issues with losing him, he's shite.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Isn’t this year the end of the three year ffp cycle or something, so we would be able to spend again next summer? 

Tho like Pimlico just said, might be a good thing for the club to get young lesser known players in for a manager like Dean Smith. Not fooked by ffp at all, be nice to have money to spend but might be a blessing in disguise if we dont. 

May need to go down the Leeds route and bring in a few of the younger lads for a run in the team - Clark, Doyle -Hayes, bedeau , o hare , Davis , green etc . 

‘Could they really do much worse than this bunch - it will take time but may reap dividends 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are safe this season so personally  I’d like to see him say goodbye to The loan players that aren’t going to be with us next season , our job is to get Davis up to scratch not improve Abraham for Chelsea to stick a few more Million on his inflated fee

i don’t think Green O’Hare etc are good enough (yet)but we can have 20 games with them giving their all or with expensive loan players having a stroll up

and also 20 games to find a system that doesn’t involve playing a pedestrian DM 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

What a revision. Under Smith we've looked great...when we've had our best players available. Since then, in recent games less so. Context is everything.

True, we're missing our best player. But we shouldn't go from being very good to being absolute shite just because we're missing our best player.

I can’t lie since the bogies game we have been piss poor to average. We are certainly going backwards in the last few games. I’m sorry but after a trouncing in the cup, I expected a reaction but this was truely appalling. 

I don’t understand the subs either, your losing a game and you bring on haus3 and whelan wtf??? Why not give hogan a go with Tammy?? He plays one or the othe4 not both together?

9 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

What a revision. Under Smith we've looked great...when we've had our best players available. Since then, in recent games less so. Context is everything.

I'm not saying Jack and Axel doesn't make a difference, but every teams in this league get injuries it's not an excuse.

The fact is that the performance level of all our players have dropped significally over the last 5 games for whatever reason. 

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think the board recognise that the club needs a total reboot. They have made massive changes to personnel and philosophy off the pitch and decided that we need to completely change the way in which we operate. To implement theses changes at the sharp end they have chosen Dean Smith, offering him a massive job in both terms of the size and expectations of the club and the sheer amount of change that is required. In doing so they have taken a big risk, as are all important appointments. I don’t think that they rushed this appointment or didn’t carry out proper due diligence and neither do I think they did it without a proper plan.

I also believe that within this plan they realised all would not be plain sailing and that there would be lots of ups and downs. They are experienced businessmen, they will know that Rome wasn’t built in a day. They have surrounded themselves with proper football people, who along with Smith and the coaching staff, I’m sure will have recognised that this squad is made up of ageing, comfortable players who are largely at the end of their contracts/careers. As the type of team we are trying to create is a high pressing, high energy, attacking team, the squad we currently have is in the main, not fit for purpose. So I’m pretty sure there will be understanding and support from the owners, and results like this, whilst being painful won’t come as a shock. This attitude that the squad should be good enough to beat xxx is as illogical as it is arrogant. Many of the opposition players will see a fixture against us as one of the highlights of the season and will be super motivated, which our players quite obviously aren’t. They won’t just lay down and get beat because they are “only” Wigan or whoever.

We need players who are as motivated to pull on a Villa shirt as those are who face it. Until we fill our team with players who have this passionate attitude, regardless of how talented they are we will get nowhere. Today I have heard Smith being written off after 15 or 16 games and 12 days of transfer window,  a new goal keeper after 2 games and a centre back after 20 minutes. All this after 10 years of possibly the most neglect management this fabulous football club has ever suffered in all it's glorious history. Anyone who thinks this is going to be a quick fix is going to be very disappointed. 

Smith isn’t the finished article, he will make mistakes. However he will grow with the club, we will win and lose as a team and become stronger for it. Knee jerk reactions and thinking we can fix this with a cheque book are what has got us where we are now. Sure I’d love us to get promoted, then win the league and a cabinet full of trophies. That may happen, but only with time and patience, which we actually must embrace and not just pay lip service to. We have to both endure and enjoy the journey and then perhaps we may see the fruits of our collective effort.

Sorry for the ramble lads. UTV.

I don't know the thoughts of the new owners on our recent performances. However there is little more certain that unless DS starts winning the odd game here and there he will be sacked. As have managers before him as will those that follow.  

7 minutes ago, Eastie said:

May need to go down the Leeds route and bring in a few of the younger lads for a run in the team - Clark, Doyle -Hayes, bedeau , o hare , Davis , green etc . 

‘Could they really do much worse than this bunch - it will take time but may reap dividends 

I've been saying take out alot of the first steamers and put the youngsters in, this season is done now, the teams going to the playoffs will hammer us, that's if we were to get a kook in.

Get rid of our defenders apart from Hause, get rid of our midfield apart from Grealish and Mcginn, get rid of our strikers apart from Tammy, RHM, davis and bring green back for the wing, then fill the rest of our team with our other u23s.

Anything is better than what were facing at the moment with our Pu$$y Patrol, they have no heart, no spine, no will to win.

We would just as much be better off Smith choosing some of us lot, I feel sorry to the staff I do because it does fall down on the players most of the blame does.

You can only do so much for players, they are the ones that have to bring it on match day..

11 minutes ago, kiltorken said:

https://7500toholte.sbnation.com/2019/1/12/18179863/xv-dean-smith-steve-bruce-benteke-albrighton-delph-incompetence-mismanagement

Good article I thought basically about the scale of the job on Smith's hands. 

I've been disgusted by villa's performances lately but he really does need a few transfer windows to get us out of the mess that's been building up since the MON days. If we had gone for someone like allardyce we probably would have finished with higher points this season in my opinion but it would just be a continuation of the same failed model which wrecked us in the first place. 

If Allardyce came in and won every game 1-0 the club be in a far better place financially in the PL. Not sure if thats the failed model or not - I would argue that the appointments of Garde, RDM, Sherwood are very different to the allardyce model but to me those appointments wrecked us.

25 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Totally agree.

We’ve spent loads of money, mostly all gone down the drain.

Don’t think ability to spend is the main issue for the club.

Â