Dean Smith

Demitri_C

The job is too big for Smith. He's a Rowet, Cook Lamber etc etc will do well with a small club with low expectations, limited budget, blood the youth, punch above their weight etc etc.

Its not enough for Villa we need a guy with massive ego's like O'Neill and Atkinson....Smith looks like a bloke down the bookies all he needs is a packet of amber leaf. I bet he's never owned an armarni suit.

We've had the new manager bounce it's downhill for the rest of the season.

Rememeber Remi Garde came in and we had a "bounce" - a nil nil draw with man city where we played first time passing football.

Then when they realized he was just a joker they stopped giving a shit.

Edited by screwdriver
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think there's something in this. Wigan got into us early, kicked us about a bit. It wasn't desperation, it was a plan. I think teams see us as soft. I think they're right.

I have been banging this drum on here for some time....its been with us a long time, before Smith and before Bruce....I am amazed how Bruce didn't deal with it. with his background.....and I am amazed how this bad smell is still around.

I have no idea, why its with such a great club as ours, but its like a complacency that has no place on our hallowed turf (I am excluding McGinn in this) far too many free loaders on and off the pitch.

I have still seen the tell tale signs when we have won....its there still, standing off and a failure to close down and just inviting the opposition to steal the initiative to get back in the game a complete disregard for the art of working OFF the ball and containing the opposition, particularly AFTER we have scored....Its pungent and it stinks....it make me ****ing angry.

I could only guess the expletives in the dressing room today...If Shankly or Saunders was in charge.

In the main we win because our offensive players have moments of brilliance but our overall play is woeful

The experts say that every player has c 3 minutes on the ball during a game,that means for 87 minutes some of our lot are doing sweet Fanny Adams....It has to change.

If we are going anywhere ...it has to change.

I am witnessing these traits of our play under both managers, so I would suggest some of our players are just not capable of anything else.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KHV said:

I'd totally change it. The 3 forwards with two wide players is clearly totally wank

Kalinic

El Mohamady                     Elphick                   Chester                 Hutton

Jedinak

Lansbury               

McGinn

Hourihane

Abraham                                      Kodjia

Steer, Bree, Bjarnason, Hogan, Davis, Whelan Bedau                                

That team is absolutely dire.

Elmo is the worst right back we have.

Hutton isn't a left back.

Jedinak is past it.

Lansbury is injured.

Abraham and Kodjia has been tried and doesn't work.

2 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I think the midfield is the biggest problem we have at the moment.

I couldn’t agree more, we have a one man midfield and we will end up destroying him if we don’t get him some help soon. The problem is that the culture and attitude of this aging, comfortable squad is making it impossible to progress. Until the vast majority have been cleared out we have no chance of making genuine and sustained progress. 

• Like 3

People need to chill out, it's going to take time. We have a bunch of loan players, old players and generally awful players in this squad. Oh and we're missing our best player who has been key to everything we have done.

This isn't Smith's team. Write this season off for the most part, if we make a push for the play offs great but it was always going to be an uphill battle.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Of course he needs more time. We had stick patches under great managers like Ron Atkinson, Graham Taylor , Ron Saunders, Martin O Neil - the difference was we could look back at those managers and see they had 'done it' at other clubs ...Can we say that for DS ....I don't think we can - I always felt his achievements at Brentford  were over stated - lots have managers have got small clubs mid table.

DS has to turn this round pretty sharpish - What we absolutely must not do is stumble on to the end of this season in this vein, then give DS the benefit of the doubt allow to him to spend the Grealish money  - only to find out October \ November that DS isn't the man and begin another manager search mid season when all the best ones are gone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

People need to chill out, it's going to take time. We have a bunch of loan players, old players and generally awful players in this squad. Oh and we're missing our best player who has been key to everything we have done.

This isn't Smith's team. Write this season off for the most part, if we make a push for the play offs great but it was always going to be an uphill battle.

When DS took over did you expect us to concede 6 to swansea and wigan without reply ? 

Smith needs many seasons at this club.

It's not his fault he's inherited a team of misfits and has been given so much to do following the damage caused by the stupid short term gambling of Xia and Wyness.

A philosophy takes time to implement and he needs his own players.

He's here for the long haul, lets at least give him a preseason.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 4

I know we have been banging the play the kids drum for a while and last week it didn't go well, but I would honestly give it a chance now.

The midfield is the problem area now, we are so soft in the middle that we get ploughed through at every opportunity putting pressure on a weak backline. We have to get players on the ball that can keep possession, hold the ball and drive forward with it.

The wingers are offering very little and Adomah looks completely shot.

Kalinic

Hutton   Elphick   Chester   Taylor

Hourihane

McGinn       Doyle-Hayes

Bolasie         Abraham        Green

Bree needs game time but we don't have the luxury of blooding him in a weak backline currently. We need to switch back to Hutton for the time being.

Hourihane has been poor in the midfield but he is slightly better than Bjarnasson, we have no other options. Doyle-Hayes is one of the best midfielders in the U23's, between him and O'Hare they can provide the energy we need in the middle next to McGinn until Grealish is back.

Personally I would recall Green from Portsmouth. El Ghazi, Kodjia and Adomah are so inconsistent we may as well give Green a chance to show what he can do.

We need to change something because at the moment it just isn't working.

3 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

In a way I agree, but if we are going to dismiss this season then Smith needs to start bedding in the kids. 

The likes of Hutton, Whelan, Elmo, Taylor etc aren’t going to be here next season. So we may as play more youngsters giving them valuable playing time to be experienced enough to start next season for us 

1 minute ago, wilko154 said:

I know we have been banging the play the kids drum for a while and last week it didn't go well, but I would honestly give it a chance now.

The midfield is the problem area now, we are so soft in the middle that we get ploughed through at every opportunity putting pressure on a weak backline. We have to get players on the ball that can keep possession, hold the ball and drive forward with it.

The wingers are offering very little and Adomah looks completely shot.

Kalinic

Hutton   Elphick   Chester   Taylor

Hourihane

McGinn       Doyle-Hayes

Bolasie         Abraham        Green

Bree needs game time but we don't have the luxury of blooding him in a weak backline currently. We need to switch back to Hutton for the time being.

Hourihane has been poor in the midfield but he is slightly better than Bjarnasson, we have no other options. Doyle-Hayes is one of the best midfielders in the U23's, between him and O'Hare they can provide the energy we need in the middle next to McGinn until Grealish is back.

Personally I would recall Green from Portsmouth. El Ghazi, Kodjia and Adomah are so inconsistent we may as well give Green a chance to show what he can do.

We need to change something because at the moment it just isn't working.

Rather Mitch Clark than Taylor .

• Like 1

Just now, hippo said:

When DS took over did you expect us to concede 6 to swansea and wigan without reply ? 

We beat Swansea 1-0 not along, I couldn't give a toss about the FA Cup. Yeh we got battered by Wigan, it's his first very bad result but fans on here are saying the job is too big, fear for the future etc. I mean come on, have a day off.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

The job is too big for Smith. He's a Rowet, Cook Lamber etc etc will do well with a small club with low expectations, limited budget, blood the youth, punch above their weight etc etc.

Its not enough for Villa we need a guy with massive ego's like O'Neill and Atkinson....Smith looks like a bloke down the bookies all he needs is a packet of amber leaf. I bet he's never owned an armarni suit.

Sorry mate but I think that's a very premature conclusion. How did he cope in the derby, the game with the most pressure of the season for example? We have had two really bad games now, but we have also had games where we have destroyed Derby and Middlesbrough away, playing the best football I've seen us play for years.

If the job was too big we would have seen him crank up under pressure, making irrational decisions. Except today's substitutions I cant fault him for any of the decisions.

Having said that, I'm also very worried about the last performances, and it's his job to motivate or pick the right players.

7 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Smith needs many seasons at this club.

It's not his fault he's inherited a team of misfits and has been given so much to do following the damage caused by Xia Wyness and Bruce.

A philosophy takes time to implement and he needs his own players.

He's here for the long haul, lets at least give him a preseason.

Whether its his fault or not - it his responsibility to get results - at some point he will held accountable - as for time he can not  go on not winning - he will get the sack - simple as that.

Edited by hippo

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have been banging this drum on here for some time....its been with us a long time, before Smith and before Bruce....I am amazed how Bruce didn't deal with it. with his background.....and I am amazed how this bad smell is still around.

Bruce dealt with it by signing hard men Jedi, Whelan and Terry. Sam Johnson was a no nonsense type aswell.

Unfortunately Jedi and Whelan's legs had too many miles on the clock

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

We beat Swansea 1-0 not along, I couldn't give a toss about the FA Cup. Yeh we got battered by Wigan, it's his first very bad result but fans on here are saying the job is too big, fear for the future etc. I mean come on, have a day off.

I hope DS doesn't go into the boardroom citing the above in his defence.

1 minute ago, screwdriver said:

Bruce dealt with it by signing hard men Jedi, Whelan and Terry. Sam Johnson was a no nonsense type aswell.

Unfortunately Jedi and Whelan's legs had too many miles on the clock

maybe I meant dealt with it better....with  23-25 year olds with gas in their tank and the ability to control the ball, better than them.

Â