Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

this big club with big name players shit is **** poison

we're a mid table championship team with a lot of utter garbage players who let us down every week because they are not good enough but they are at a big club and on great money so they are doing ok

neil taylor big name, international player, played in the olympics, played in the prem, earns probably around £30k a week at a big club....none of it means anything because he's **** shit

Completely endemic with us.

I'd totally change it. The 3 forwards with two wide players is clearly totally wank

Kalinic

El Mohamady                     Elphick                   Chester                 Hutton

Jedinak

Lansbury               

McGinn

Hourihane

Abraham                                      Kodjia

Steer, Bree, Bjarnason, Hogan, Davis, Whelan Bedau

It's too early to throw DS under the bus, but i have to ask... what the he'll is going on?! Only 2 enforced changes from the team that was creating 20+ chances every game 5-6 weeks ago to looking absolutely toothless up front (4 shots on goal against wigan today). 

Yes we have lost Grealish to injury in that time, but performances shouldn't fall apart to this extent. As the head coach DS should be finding a way to play that compensates for the loss of Grealish and still keeps us competitive. He has failed to do that so far.

It seems like we aren't doing any of the things we were in his first handful of games. The high press is non existent, the passing is not controlled and there is a distinct lack of energy and movement. Have the players had enough if him and his methods already?! Surely what is happening on the pitch is not what they are being taught in training. So why isn't it working?

Something needs to change pronto or a playoff position will soon be out of reach. 

2 minutes ago, KHV said:

I'd totally change it. The 3 forwards with two wide players is clearly totally wank

Kalinic

El Mohamady                     Elphick                   Chester                 Hutton

Jedinak

Lansbury               

McGinn

Hourihane

Abraham                                      Kodjia

Steer, Bree, Bjarnason, Hogan, Davis, Whelan Bedau

Was tempted to stop reading at Elmo, definitely stopped reading at Jedinak.

Just now, Brumstopdogs said:

I'm not going to listen to this. He can speak, but it's not enough. Just get it done. Turn the ship around! I don't need your analysis, I want us to win. At least sometimes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

If you look at our squad of eighteen players on the team sheet today, eleven of those players are either coming to the end of their playing days, or on loan.

I wonder whether this reflects on the willingness to go out there and 'die for the shirt'?

When teams like Wigan can get a bunch of lads together fighting for each other and their futures in the game, it makes me wonder why our lot can't do the same.

Is it as simple as too many players just being here to pick up a fat pay packet and not having a stake in the club's future?

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Really does not look like players want to play for Smith. Probably why he brought on his good pal Whelan. 

That might be a bit harsh...it may look like it, but they don't look like the want to play for their wives and family, to me.

There are traits in this team that are still there from the previous regime....If I am being honest , I think we have bought not quite good enough.....Whelan and Jed have gone, it's all over at this level and we haven't replaced them at the bottom of the midfield diamond....we need a dominant DM and start the rebuild.

There have been players, knocking around this league like Lolley,Dack, Bowen, Clarke, Maddison, ( now gone) Reach, Marriot....who would have in the past been players Villa would have gone after, big club and all that....but our scouts seem oblivious to young talent on the up.....its too late now, the Prem will be sniffing.

So, we shift out Albrighton and Bannan, not to mention Davis and Hogg as not good enough.

This backroom we have had in the past, leaves me in despair.....but I have no idea if its any better now.

• Like 1

I would like Smith to give Davis more of a go. At least his hold up play may reduce the chance of letting in break away goals. 

The last three  weeks shows what a massive job he has on his hands trying to turn this club around. I wish him the  very best of luck.

Edited by The Fun Factory

7 minutes ago, macandally said:

It’s comical how many are kicking off on here about Smith.  I would still have him all day long over Bruce, how short the memory, do you not remember the start of the year?

Bruce built a squad of 30 something journeymen, Smith got a tune out of them initially but the truth is we have not much worth keeping.  Most that we would are unaffordable and/or on loan.  We will not go up this year and we will need major surgery in the summer, hopefully built on a strong spine (which we don’t have) and youth with energy (again missing).

Truth hurts but unavoidable

Having him over Bruce is not an argument or an excuse.

• Like 2

Defenders available:

Hutton, Bree, Elmohamady, Chester, Elphick, Hause, Taylor

Midfielders available:

Hourihane, McGinn, Whelan, Bjarnason

Forwards available:

Abraham, Hogan, Davis, El Ghazi, Bolasie, Adomah, O'Hare

We need a LB, a CB, and a CM in this window.

• Like 1

I haven’t seen today, but it sounds dreadful. 

Lacking all energy, pressing and passing is disconcerting. Yes it’s not his squad but we still expect better.

However, those calling for his head are very premature. This smacks to me very similar to when Wagner took over at huddersfield and  Farke at norwich. They had some ups and down in their first seasons in charge, but then in the second season when people knew more of what they were meant to be doing it clicked into place. 

I hope Smith can have this impact, however, he needs to be blooding the youngsters (even if they aren’t good enough yet) so that they are the ones ready to hit the ground running next year. Surely we have an energetic midfielder who can press instead of BB? 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I would like Smith to give Davis more of a go. At least his hold up play make reduce the chance of letting in break away goals. 

The last three  weeks shows what a massive job he has on his hands trying to turn this club around. I wish him the  very best of luck.

Perhaps  it might be worth having two up to in a 352. It certainly isn't working with the current setup. 

Just now, Made In Aston said:

Perhaps  it might be worth having two up to in a 352. It certainly isn't working with the current setup. 

A midfield five of Bree, Mcginn, Hourihane, Bjarnason and Hutton?

Or the full cavalier El Ghazi, McGinn, Hourihane, Bjarnason and Bolasie?

Attitude, Pace, strength and energy.  Sounds simple but that is what Smith needs to play a high tempo pressing game.

Now look at our squad!😞.  Get our talented u23s out on loan (like RHM has just done), Scout for pacey, young and hungry players in lower leagues and abroad and let’s see if we can do it with kids.  A fresh, young and new group.

We get another chance to get it right in the summer, we simply can not afford to get it wrong again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I am rapidly losing faith, nothing seems to be improving now it only seems to be getting worse week in week out. He had a honeymoon period (albeit hampered with a shoddy defense of course) but since Grealish and Tuanzebe got injured we have literally been getting worse every week. The new signings look abysmal currenlty too although of course it's early days. Nothing seems to be rolling for us at the moment which is even more gut wrenching after the displays at Derby and Boro.

It appears Tuanzebe was holding the defence together and Grealish likewise the midfield. Even looks like our best keeper is out for the season now judging by Kalinic's first two games.. Nothing is right at the moment and i fear for Dean if this continues much longer.

• Like 1

Â