Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Wolves bought in a manager that led teams to Champions Leagues. Newcastle had a manager that had won it all. Leeds after 15 odd years in this league have now got a manager that has managed for years at the highest level. 

Can Smith handle such a big job? 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Is the job too big for Smith? 

no

i **** hate this "job too big" stuff, its bollocks, we dont need someone to come in and shout at the big name players who dont perform every week, we need someone to come in **** those players off and bring in young hungry talent to play the system they want

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Calling for Dean Smith's head after a defeat, absolutely pathetic.

It's becoming like the Facebook groups on here. 

Get a grip guy's, the bloke needs time and transfer windows to sort out this absolute mess of a football team.

Not a question of calling for his head but he has totally got to accept his share of the blame today - he is paid to coach and motivate his players - yes the players let us down badly today but so did the manager .

his substitutions were pathetic and feeble - needs to get his act together and fast .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My only concern about Smith's style of play was that it's very demanding physically. I wondered if the players would be knackered and it seems they have become that way pretty quickly - which is a big concern now. 

Having said that, I thought the same of Leeds with Bielsa's style but they've done fine. Maybe Smith needs to simply scare the shit out of them rather than looking so placid? 

1 minute ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

What happened to the energy, spark and creativity we had the first two months?

Gone along with Axel and Jack unfortunately.  Now we are left in the same position he took over.  I wonder if conceding the two goal lead against Leeds is Smith's equivalent of giving up two goals to Leicester under Sherwood.  We seemed to have been destroyed ever since.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

no

i **** hate this "job too big" stuff, its bollocks, we dont need someone to come in and shout at the big name players who dont perform every week, we need someone to come in **** those players off and bring in young hungry talent to play the system they want

It’s not that simple though when you are a big club with massive expectations. Just look at Leeds and how many managed have tried over the last 15 years or so. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Djemba_Villan said:

When he joined. A lot of my Walsall supporting mates from home fell over themselves to tell me to expect ridiculous ups and down.

Every single one of them told me Smith was a ‘streaky’ manager so expect runs of wins followed by inexplicable runs of bad results. Looks like we’ve been through the first loop. Hopefully this is the end of the down swing!!

Was exactly the same at Brentford. To big a club to be like that as a manager 

Just now, Skruff said:

Just look at how Wigan press us as a team. We look half arsed. We don't press as a team. Not even close to it.

Too many passengers.

2k per week footballers on 30k per week in can't be arsed shocker..........

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Who would you play in midfield then?

And who would you have appointed as manager?

Grealish is the missing link. We have no-one who sits in a central, offensive midfield position. I have no idea why this is the case, but we don’t. Smith seemed to play Hourihane deep with Bjarnason slightly ahead (maybe?) and McGinn just ahead again - but no-one off the strikers. Been the same for a few games. 

Try an actual offensive midfielder in that Grealish-shaped hole. If I’m honest, McGinn aside, our central midfielders all look shit. Personally, I’d stick Bjarnason DM as at least he moves, then have McGinn ahead of him and then El Ghazi ahead of McGinn. If not El Ghazi, try O’Hare. 

2 minutes ago, villarocker said:

My only concern about Smith's style of play was that it's very demanding physically. I wondered if the players would be knackered and it seems they have become that way pretty quickly - which is a big concern now. 

Having said that, I thought the same of Leeds with Bielsa's style but they've done fine. Maybe Smith needs to simply scare the shit out of them rather than looking so placid? 

... and he's playing school kids that look now older than 14 - most of which taught us a lesson at B6 on the 23rd!.

11 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Yes you are right TRO - this defeat has been coming.

i only hope that we've bottomed out now and some new faces come in before Hull 😕

Dave this Hull team is flying and THE in-form team of the division.

but why do we play 2 wingers, when we lose the midfield battle, in most games lately.

This team is lacking in battling qualities and I thought the same last season...its also lacking in ball control, in many players....so many basics, just not there.

I think the season is over....and its debatable whether to keep our powder dry until the summer.

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Who would you play in midfield then?

And who would you have appointed as manager?

I know I wouldn’t play Hourihane nor have Smith as manager.   

Plus I would get rid of this DM BS. Whelan and Jedniak are gone, that icelandic boy can’t play it, doubt he can play at all but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt 

7 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Not a question of calling for his head but he has totally got to accept his share of the blame today - he is paid to coach and motivate his players - yes the players let us down badly today but so did the manager .

his substitutions were pathetic and feeble - needs to get his act together and fast .

I don't think anybody would argue with this. Those substitutions were not inspiring at all. 

1 minute ago, HeyAnty said:

I know I wouldn’t play Hourihane nor have Smith as manager.   

Plus I would get rid of this DM BS. Whelan and Jedniak are gone, that icelandic boy can’t play it, doubt he can play at all but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt 

You are right about that, Bjarnasson is terrible.

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wolves bought in a manager that led teams to Champions Leagues. Newcastle had a manager that had won it all. Leeds after 15 odd years in this league have now got a manager that has managed for years at the highest level. 

Can Smith handle such a big job? 

Bang on the money. Answers on a postcard. 

If true, this can only get worse, the bigger the player we bring in.

Â