Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

"Head Coach"

Do we know how much say Dean has in transfers?

Not this again :D

Almost everywhere in the modern footballing world, a head coach works with the technical/football director and the head scout(s). Agreeing what they want together and then the technical/football director goes and tries to sign them.

35 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Not this again :D

Almost everywhere in the modern footballing world, a head coach works with the technical/football director and the head scout(s). Agreeing what they want together and then the technical/football director goes and tries to sign them.

I know this. 

But traditionally managers in this country have had more say in transfers than "head coaches" on the continent, which is where the sporting director/head coach model is more prevalent. 

If Smith is Head Coach by name only and is playing the same role as all our previous managers then I totally agree with you.
If the change to "Head Coach" is more than just a name change then maybe he'll have less say than previous managers?

I genuinely don't know, it was a real question.

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I know this. 

But traditionally managers in this country have had more say in transfers than "head coaches" on the continent, which is where the sporting director/head coach model is more prevalent. 

If Smith is Head Coach by name only and is playing the same role as all our previous managers then I totally agree with you.
If the change to "Head Coach" is more than just a name change then maybe he'll have less say than previous managers?

Around the time of the Kalinic announcement there was that comment Smith gave about there being a WhatsApp group between him Purslow and Jesus, talking about their knowledge of players both home and abroad.

Only saw the transcript of the interview but it came across like a lighthearted but confirmative way of saying that the three of them are in regular communication about what players they need/should be looking at.

Whether they each get a 33% say for instance, I don’t know. I can imagine it being something like Smith says “I need players X, Y, Z, what do you think of these players - or do you know of anyone who would be available?”. Jesus looks at them, offers his opinions and/or alternatives, discussions are had and Purslow is the man from Del Monte he says “ok, that’s the player if we can get him at the right price.”

Total guesswork on my part, but that seems like the most obvious way it would work to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I know this. 

It's a fair question to ask - to be fair! Who knows what Smith's clout is at the club. 

6 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I think at the games it is noticeable how much space we continually leave in wide areas. I think you make a good point about our wide midfielders not tracking back and it often means that the fullbacks find themselves 2 on 1 and get caught not knowing whether to go and close down the man on the ball or track the overlapping runner and end up doing neither. I know we give the fullbacks a lot of stick as fans and some of it is justified but I think the way we set up and the lack of help from those in front leaves them badly exposed at times.

There is no doubt that teams are targeting our wide areas now and it has really been noticeable since we played Stoke for me. I have a feeling Smiths way of countering this is for our own wide players to pin the opposing teams FB back and have the opposing sides wide midfielder have to spend more time going backwards than forwards. I think again with Grealish in the side we are able to do that more easily as he will often pick the ball up out wide and teams are far more scared of committing too many forward against us when he plays. He has been a big loss.

An option is for the fullbacks to stay wider, but they have to shift quickly when the point of attack changes with the DM dropping in the space between fullback and center half, when needed.  

6 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I think at the games it is noticeable how much space we continually leave in wide areas. I think you make a good point about our wide midfielders not tracking back and it often means that the fullbacks find themselves 2 on 1 and get caught not knowing whether to go and close down the man on the ball or track the overlapping runner and end up doing neither. I know we give the fullbacks a lot of stick as fans and some of it is justified but I think the way we set up and the lack of help from those in front leaves them badly exposed at times.

There is no doubt that teams are targeting our wide areas now and it has really been noticeable since we played Stoke for me. I have a feeling Smiths way of countering this is for our own wide players to pin the opposing teams FB back and have the opposing sides wide midfielder have to spend more time going backwards than forwards. I think again with Grealish in the side we are able to do that more easily as he will often pick the ball up out wide and teams are far more scared of committing too many forward against us when he plays. He has been a big loss.

An option is for the fullbacks to stay wider, but they have to shift quickly when the point of attack changes with the DM dropping in the space between fullback and center half, when needed.  

On 07/01/2019 at 21:59, Stevo985 said:

I know this. 

I agree, what's the point with calling him Head Coach if it's nothing more than a name change.

I think it's quite clear that he is involved in the transfers, what's most interesting for me is if he has the final say on transfers or not. 

4 minutes ago, jim said:

Another appointment we have got wrong. Getting worse by the week.

Amazed by his subs today - quite incredible - no shot on target and he takes off our best defender in elphick today and brings on hause and whelan - why not Davis or Hogan ffs - no wonder elphick looks pissed off - weak management for me . 

‘Elphick has looked much better than Chester today 

Edited by Eastie

As refreshing as it was to see tactical preparation for a game when he first came in, he is showing that the job is just too big for him. He can’t even inspire the players either.

Much more suited to a team without expectation. No doubt his post match will be full of insight and analysis, yet once again showing he can’t do it on the pitch. He is the football equivalent of Management Speak. 

Would make a great Sky commentator or as part of Chelsea’s technical team. 

On 07/01/2019 at 19:13, dudevillaisnice said:

Promising manager comes in, promising manager initially lifts the place with some results and performances. Looks to have aged at least 20 years after spending time with the squad, starts making strange decisions, the performances and results drop drastically and then eventually loses it completely. The life of recent Aston Villa Managers. Let’s hope this time it’s different. 

This is actually happening now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Worse than anything Bruce served up. At least Cardiff and Brentford were decent sides when they absolutely dicked us.

Shocking truly shocking and why oh why bring on whelan and hause when 1 down - abysmal and unacceptable 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

As refreshing as it was to see tactical preparation for a game when he first came in, he is showing that the job is just too big for him. He can’t even inspire the players either.

Much more suited to a team without expectation. No doubt his post match will be full of insight and analysis, yet once again showing he can’t do it on the pitch. He is the football equivalent of Management Speak. 

Would make a great Sky commentator or as part of Chelsea’s technical team. 

Thats a worrying comment.

However, I am tired of hearing, we are too big for this manager or that manager.

This today, has been coming for me.....some used the quality of the opposition as mitigation.....but the tell tales signs were there imo in previous games, when we was doing ok.

I thought, we had worrying moments against the Blues and we won 4-2.

The balance of the squad is not right for me......too many the same and  not enough of what we need.....in terms of types.

Â