Dean Smith

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

To be fair, we say that with every single manager. We’ve had failure after failure since MON. Whilst it’s still true that he needs time, you can see why people aren’t too optimistic given our track record of managers and the way the team seems to be going.

I agree, its hard to have faith with the multi year s*** show we have had at VP.

However, i am hoping that this time, we are on the right track, it looks like we are, we will have ups and downs as we fix the steaming pile of doo doo, and for that reason i will support DS and give him a lot of leeway at least until the end of next season, and by that i mean i dont think we can judge DS's actual impact, or the impact of the new management team etc, until the end of next season after a couple of transfer windows and time to implement styles and ideas, they need time to implement what they want to implement, and fix the huge almighty mess.

Time will tell if it works this time.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I agree, its hard to have faith with the multi year s*** show we have had at VP.

However, i am hoping that this time, we are on the right track, it looks like we are, we will have ups and downs as we fix the steaming pile of doo doo, and for that reason i will support DS and give him a lot of leeway at least until the end of next season, and by that i mean i dont think we can judge DS's actual impact, or the impact of the new management team etc, until the end of next season after a couple of transfer windows and time to implement styles and ideas, they need time to implement what they want to implement, and fix the huge almighty mess.

Time will tell if it works this time.

I agree he needs time to fix things, and he’ll have my support during the process. As you say, we hope this time we’re on the right track, but we have said every time as well. Just like we all thought Dr Tony was on the right path. He was hailed on here, nowadays he’s absolutely slated by 90% of posters. My point is, we always think we’re on the right path, then things turn to shit and we look to a new saviour. I’m definitely behind Smith and the new team in charge, but I’m not particularly hopeful. I’m just hoping for some decent football to watch and at least the hope of promotion each season.

On 04/01/2019 at 17:39, OutByEaster? said:

When Simon Rattle waves a baton at an orchestra they play beautifully - I doubt they'd do the same for me. I think you underestimate the power of good communication as opposed to just waving your arms because you've seen someone doing it on the telly.

OBE ....not one of your best.

but we are off topic ,so i will leave it there.

Edited by TRO

28 minutes ago, TRO said:

OBE ....not one of your best.

but we are off topic ,so i will leave it there.

Don't get it tro. 

Obe's Seems like a good post to me.. 

BTW I think the club thought the fa cup was a distraction we could do without, as I think they should.

Its not something I would normally condone, but at the moment needs must. 

1 focus at the moment, to get out of this league. 

Edited by richp999

Crap day.

Forget everything else, I'm so frustrated he's played McGinn for 90 mins. Can't believe it.

He's vital if we're to scrape anything from this season and he's shattered. Been doing the running for three men every game for about a month.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kiltorken said:

Poor squad me arse. At the the most Conservative view they're above average for the league. 

Missed out hourihane on my original post.

Ok, tell me which teams above us are going to sign the following 8 above average players. 

Hutton, Taylor, Bree, Elphick, Whelan, , jedinak, Davis, hogan, that's a third of the squad, not counting those out on loan.

To say our squad is above average is probably true, average being 12th, our squad is probably top 10.

Our forward line, who we only own half of, is top 3 or 4. Interesting what will happen if tammy goes. 

The midfield has quality but lacks the enforcer, and depth and so isn't overall effective, look at what has happened since we've lost Grealish, so lower reaches of playoffs.

the defence is probably league 1 at best.

I'm not saying the team are rubbish, but the squad is so imbalanced and totally dependent on loans. (These loans are in the wrong places as well, but that's a different argument). 

As a previous poster said, don't confuse inflated transfer fees and excessive wages with quality. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

In Dean's defence. They made one change from their last game. We made 7.... His main intension was to rest player (minus McGinn). Some our players are just crap. 

Well said!

I really don't buy into the club not wanting to progress in the cup. Smith, as a Villa fan, is well aware of our history in this cup and that unless you are about 70 years old you'd have no recollection of Villa winning the FA Cup. I believe he wouldn't go out of it without a fight - hence the selection of McGinn. I also don't believe they would throw the new keeper under the bus so willingly. 

Reading Smith's comments about the game on the OS makes me believe my above points even more. I think he is genuinely pissed off with the majority of  the players for yesterday's performance. 

• Like 1

The only positive for smith is that hopefully Lansbury showed enough to earn a starting place .

however his choice of Hutton at centre back was totally baffling .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, richp999 said:

Don't get it tro. 

Obe's Seems like a good post to me.. 

BTW I think the club thought the fa cup was a distraction we could do without, as I think they should.

Its not something I would normally condone, but at the moment needs must. 

1 focus at the moment, to get out of this league. 

We are a country mile away from getting out of this league, based on the recent performances.

51 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I really don't buy into the club not wanting to progress in the cup. Smith, as a Villa fan, is well aware of our history in this cup and that unless you are about 70 years old you'd have no recollection of Villa winning the FA Cup. I believe he wouldn't go out of it without a fight - hence the selection of McGinn. I also don't believe they would throw the new keeper under the bus so willingly. 

Reading Smith's comments about the game on the OS makes me believe my above points even more. I think he is genuinely pissed off with the majority of  the players for yesterday's performance. 

It was mooted by Alan Hutton that Steve Bruce was too easy on them at BMH.

That seems feasible to me....we are all too slow in just about everything we do, excusing a few players.....its clear watching the play, something is amiss

I suspect nothing has changed in training at present....it needs to.

We need a sargeant major training them.

2 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

In Dean's defence. They made one change from their last game. We made 7.... His main intension was to rest player (minus McGinn). Some our players are just crap. 

And the paradox is......the one player who deserved and needed a rest, was McGinn.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

We are a country mile away from getting out of this league, based on the recent performances.

We’re not getting out of the league this season. We’ll make playoffs I imagine, but we leak goals and we can’t seem to hold onto the ball for longer than 3 seconds if Jack isn’t playing. We need a big effort in the January transfer window, two full backs and an actual DM just to start.

1 minute ago, 7392craig said:

We’re not getting out of the league this season. We’ll make playoffs I imagine, but we leak goals and we can’t seem to hold onto the ball for longer than 3 seconds if Jack isn’t playing. We need a big effort in the January transfer window, two full backs and an actual DM just to start.

Its not about bringing in players per se.......its about getting the right ones that make the difference.

i am not confident that we will get the right ones...sorry.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its not about bringing in players per se.......its about getting the right ones that make the difference.

i am not confident that we will get the right ones...sorry.

Given our track record for signing players, neither am I. But it’s his first transfer window with us, so let’s hope this is the start of a much needed change.

Dean Smith got a response from our squad when he first came in. He's now got to deal with the reality of the default system of play that has been ingrained in our players for far to long.

Due to the number of matches over the Christmas period I'm guessing they've not been able to do much on the training pitch, so the 'default system' has crept back in.

I don't believe that DS can re train a number of our older players to play his style of high intensity football because they are too stuck in their ways and they are too slow and knackered.

So .... DS needs to buy younger, fitter, quicker, hungrier more aggressive players who are also talented enough. That's a big complicated project under the constraints of FFP and will take time and patience.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Dean Smith got a response from our squad when he first came in. He's now got to deal with the reality of the default system of play that has been ingrained in our players for far to long.

Due to the number of matches over the Christmas period I'm guessing they've not been able to do much on the training pitch, so the 'default system' has crept back in.

I don't believe that DS can re train a number of our older players to play his style of high intensity football because they are too stuck in their ways and they are too slow and knackered.

So .... DS needs to buy younger, fitter, quicker, hungrier more aggressive players who are also talented enough. That's a big complicated project under the constraints of FFP and will take time and patience.

The recent defence selections of this - Steer/Kalanic Bree elphick  weren't much used by Bruce so shouldn't have the Bruce system en grained (if thats a thing) 

• Like 1

Â