Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Mate I couldn't give a toss about the FA cup either, I think the worrying thing for many is not the defeat, rather the manner of it and what it means for the rest of the league campaign. 

Chester aside that is our best back 4 and it's horrific. McGinn is on his last legs because he is the only bloke in midfield with any legs and without Tammy we don't look like scoring. 

Personally I would have sacrificed today's game and used it simply to have a look at 4/5 kids. Now people will say he gave O'hare a chance but I would have started Revan, O'hare, Davis and JDH. 

I've never saw the young CB play but when the other option is Hutton its worth a go. 

I agree, I was surprised by the line up. I can’t say I was unhappy with it, it looked “decent” on paper, at the same time I wasn’t thrilled by it, it was a bit of a mish mash to be honest.

Likewise I would have just played the kids. I certainly would have rested McGinn, don’t understand the logic in playing him.

Currently it’s close to our best defence, but I’m confident by the end of the window, we’ll have brought in more options. This result will have raised a few eyebrows I think and will provoke a reaction from the players (well, I hope it will) and the people in charge of recruitment will be extra motivated.

And if a 3-0 home defeat causes a few arses to be kicked, which I think we all agree there has been a need of for several weeks, then it’s better it occurred in a game that ultimately will have no impact on our goals this season.

18 hours ago, romavillan said:

Right, new manager bounce that lasts for a run of massively tough fixtures, completely changing how we play? New manager bounce for 10+ games and ends when our best player, and the only fit central defenders we have get injured?

We changed completely for awhile, and now you wouldn't believe this is the same team again, we look terrible.

Hopefully Smith turns us around again, but my naive belief in him has ended. Let's see what he's made of.

Edited by AVTuco

Its interesting to me, how we have beaten them home and away in the league and yet they still come to our place full of pomp and score in the first few minutes.

Now if the boot was on the other foot, we would be excused for getting beat due to the other team gaining confidence from the 2 league games.

It sometimes seems with us heads you lose ,tails you lose.

******* pushovers.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Maybe Deans having trouble getting funds....and this game proved the need.

TBF he has had a good wedge for a keeper - and purslow spoke of inns and outs - so I think he gets funds from player sales - we reportedly bid £2m for the wolves guy. I get the feeling he has enough for 2 or 3 more players.

Maybe, this level of physical intensity PLUS the levels of mental concentration needed for this system is a bit much for those players that have played under Bruce. 

With Bruce, it was just a case of working hard physically, but now we have to do that AND concentrate/adhere to strict, likely highly detailed tactics. 

Given we’ve had 5 games in 14 days, it is maybe that combination that is causing the fatigue. It does look like an effort issue, but I just don’t think these players are lazy and would like to give them the benefit of the doubt. 

Good news, is that there is a week to recover and that the players should continue to adapt. It can only be doing them good and when they sort it we’ll be strong. Might just take time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Maybe, this level of physical intensity PLUS the levels of mental concentration needed for this system is a bit much for those players that have played under Bruce. 

With Bruce, it was just a case of working hard physically, but now we have to do that AND concentrate/adhere to strict, likely highly detailed tactics. 

Given we’ve had 5 games in 14 days, it is maybe that combination that is causing the fatigue. It does look like an effort issue, but I just don’t think these players are lazy and would like to give them the benefit of the doubt. 

Good news, is that there is a week to recover and that the players should continue to adapt. It can only be doing them good and when they sort it we’ll be strong. Might just take time. 

and its Wigan up next !

19 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

We changed completely for awhile, and now you wouldn't believe this is the same team.

Hopefully Smith turns us around again, but my naive belief in him has ended. Let's see what he's made of.

Lol...didn't last long.

I was amazed that of all players he chose to play McGinn. 

He's desperate for a rest and is so important to us now. 

Things like experimenting with Hutton in Central defence meant this match was pretty much guaranteed exit from the competition so why risk / exhaust McGinn? 

• Like 1

Just now, sidcow said:

I was amazed that of all players he chose to play McGinn. 

He's desperate for a rest and is so important to us now. 

Things like experimenting with Hutton in Central defence meant this match was pretty much guaranteed exit from the competition so why risk / exhaust McGinn? 

Because he is close to a ban so will get a rest shortly.

Imagine the scoreline had he rested mcginn !

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

Because he is close to a ban so will get a rest shortly.

Imagine the scoreline had he rested mcginn !

I couldn't give a shit if he's due a ban.  We need to win next Saturday and he will be jaded. 

If we're going to lose to Swansea in the Cup by throwing it away with the rest of the team selection I would rather anyone else played midfield 

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I couldn't give a shit if he's due a ban.  We need to win next Saturday and he will be jaded. 

If we're going to lose to Swansea in the Cup by throwing it away with the rest of the team selection I would rather anyone else played midfield 

Sorry - That was DS explanation of why Mcginn was not rested - speaking post match on radio wm

I agree with you no reason for him to play today he should have had a weekend off.

Edited by hippo
  • Like 1

May work out best in the long run. His eyes and those of the owners have seriously been opened to the lack of quality in a pretty poor squad. If you go through our squad, and look at which championship teams would take our players.(not loan)

defence - Chester to a top half team? 

Midfield - mcginn and grealish to prem. Lansbury and  Thor top half team. 

forwards - kodjia /adomah to a top half team?

it doesn't look that great. 

I think that's why he's not throwing the kids in. They'd disappear. 

13 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

May work out best in the long run. His eyes and those of the owners have seriously been opened to the lack of quality in a pretty poor squad. If you go through our squad, and look at which championship teams would take our players.(not loan)

defence - Chester to a top half team? 

Midfield - mcginn and grealish to prem. Lansbury and  Thor top half team. 

forwards - kodjia /adomah to a top half team?

it doesn't look that great. 

I think that's why he's not throwing the kids in. They'd disappear. 

Poor squad me arse. At the the most Conservative view they're above average for the league. 

12 minutes ago, kiltorken said:

Poor squad me arse. At the the most Conservative view they're above average for the league. 

This.

The vast majority of our players would get in any Championship team.

We also need to dismiss this myth that it’s all about the manager. How many managers have we been through now???

We need good investment and good players. There’s only so much a manager can do with our lot...

No more managers please. Stick with Smith for the long haul. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Let’s not confuse reputation and high wages with being good players...

Give. Him. Time. It’s going to take time to sort this mess out. 

To be fair, we say that with every single manager. We’ve had failure after failure since MON. Whilst it’s still true that he needs time, you can see why people aren’t too optimistic given our track record of managers and the way the team seems to be going.

• Like 1

Â