Dean Smith

Demitri_C

12 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

When was the last time a manager of ours left us to go to a bigger job?

MON is the only recent manager that left us and had any kind of career after. 

Houiller, McLeish, Lamberts, Sherwood, Garde and DiMatteo are either unemployed or managing at a much lower level. 

(No offence to Scotland or Montreal Impact fans) 

40 minutes ago, hippo said:

Wouldn't say it had nothing to do with it......

Its just very nice of villa to give the job to an Englishman AGAIN (what’s that, 3 out of the last 4?) and him being a villa fan too is a nice touch. Grealish and Dean Smith applauding the Holte End sounds lovely, it means a lot to them personally I’m sure.

I know we’re not competing with these clubs, but you just look at the likes of Man City, Chelsea etc, who will likely never employ an English manager again, and presumably still only have English players because they have to fulfil a quota. Barkley, Delph, Drinkwater etc.

23 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

There is a lot of talk about people being worried he is only a 'small cog in a bigger machine' but I think that is missing the bigger picture.

He has been brought here precisely because we want a larger philosophy for the club and a head coach who will be a component in that. We want to set up that larger 'machine' here at Villa rather than a cult of personality approach built around the manager of the day.

The very thing that people are saying is a potential weakness is actually one of the main advantages of his signing.   

I'm one of those that have some concerns around this. If the intention is to use him to build the club philosophy, why didn't we go instead for one of the strategy guys at, Brentford who actually built their philosophy? DS, from what I understand, was not the architect of the Brentford setup. 

Fwiw, I really hope he does bring copious knowledge that we can tap into to build a sustainable football club here. 

49 minutes ago, KHV said:

I disagree, I know some people on here think he has potential to be good at centre back, however I think he is just generally crap. Don't rate him at all in any position

I think we will find that once the defence is sorted, the new keepers will settle.  Just look at the first 6 months of johnstone, littered with errors, and hes english. Foreign keepers with a poor makeshift defence is a recipe for disaster, and a settled consistent back 4 will improve the keepers no end.

2 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Its just very nice of villa to give the job to an Englishman AGAIN (what’s that, 3 out of the last 4?) and him being a villa fan too is a nice touch. Grealish and Dean Smith applauding the Holte End sounds lovely, it means a lot to them personally I’m sure.

I know we’re not competing with these clubs, but you just look at the likes of Man City, Chelsea etc, who will likely never employ an English manager again, and presumably still only have English players because they have to fulfil a quota. Barkley, Delph, Drinkwater etc.

Barkley starts for Chelsea and is doing pretty well

Delph started the entire year last year for City when they had a record breaking season.

If you're going to make a vapid point, at least be factual.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Godders said:

I'm one of those that have some concerns around this. If the intention is to use him to build the club philosophy, why didn't we go instead for one of the strategy guys at, Brentford who actually built their philosophy? DS, from what I understand, was not the architect of the Brentford setup. 

Fwiw, I really hope he does bring copious knowledge that we can tap into to build a sustainable football club here. 

I dont agree that DS is here to impose a philosophy, that pitrachs job.  Ds is here to coach according to the philosophy given to him.

5 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Its just very nice of villa to give the job to an Englishman AGAIN (what’s that, 3 out of the last 4?) 

I feel the exact opposite way.

But then again I'm not English :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Sterling was quality for city last year scoring plenty, Delph and drinkwater both played regularly. Barkley is breaking into Chelsea team this season, John stones, Kyle walker both great for city and now Phil foden getting slowly introduced. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

I dont agree that DS is here to impose a philosophy, that pitrachs job.  Ds is here to coach according to the philosophy given to him.

Pitrach hasn't been relevant in football for years. The last thing of any note he did was when he tried to kick de Gea out of Madrid in 2009 and made him train on his own. Hopefully Pitrach isn't going to be responsible for solving our GK crisis ?

When in Roman ? 

When in Roman ? 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah true. Agree with that.

And the fact that he has specifically been appointed as "Head Coach" and not "Manager" points towards exactly that.

I'm encouraged and excited.

Indeed a small but very important detail I feel.

Â