Dean Smith

Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Sky live at bodymoor saying smith and JT will be meeting players on Monday .

I guess he has to say his goodbyes and organise his affairs while most of the squad is on international duty. I expect he'll be doing quite a bit of analysis of our players in the meantime. And poring over all the loan agreements to see if we can get a few defenders back!

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Any news on length of his contract and how much compo we paid to Brentford.

Probably never know but I wonder what the comparable salaries are for JT & DS

£300,000 was mentioned. Which is an absolute bargain!

Maybe we will buy the whole Brentford set-up after all ?

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I wonder who he will try and sign from Brentford in January.

Wouldn't be surprised if there was an informal agreement that he doesn't poach Brentford players. i am guessing but I think his departure from Brentford was very amicable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wilko154 said:

We paid Brentford 300k compensation.

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

£300,000 was mentioned. Which is an absolute bargain!

Maybe we will buy the whole Brentford set-up after all ?

I hear 600k, but I can't remember where! :D

Either way, it's not a massive amount of money. Especially when £6m was being banded about for Rodgers.

• Like 1

@Stevo985 I agree, I think his retirement announcement was the end. I just wonder. He was one of the best defenders in the league last year, so even playing once every two games, once fit, he'd be a huge asset in our (broken) defence. Ah well, hopefully he'll still add as much steel and organisation from the bench - presumably in his full kit!

• Like 1

Just now, hippo said:

Wouldn't be surprised if there was an informal agreement that he doesn't poach Brentford players. i am guessing but I think his departure from Brentford was very amicable.

They can’t stand in his way for a move to such a big club which is also his boyhood team. 

Once in a life time opportunity. This either launches his career to the next level like Eddie Howe and Dyche or shows it’s a step to far. 

• Like 1

I bet most of us had a big smile when Smith was appointed, not because he was our choice for the job simply because that it could have been one of us getting the Job, someone who grew up a Villa Fan.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Wouldn't be surprised if there was an informal agreement that he doesn't poach Brentford players.

I doubt it given Brentford's strategy around players.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Wow. Ok, I don't live a depressing life. I am a very successful enterpreneur that has visited over 120 countries and have built an amazing life for myself from nothing. Building companies up from scratch and spending my entire life travelling. 

So you can take that attitude somewhere else because you couldn't be more wrong. There is no need to get personal.

The reason WHY I have become successful is because I know when to pick my battles. I don't hope for things that are totally unrealistic and OUT OF MY CONTROL. That's just stupid. If I can personally change something to make it better, or strive for something that I can achieve then that's exactly what I do. I'd wager that if you are looking for a depressing life then you might want to look closer to home.

Above all, I was absolutely BANG ON with my prediction as to who we would get as I am very aware of our financial predicament and not so blinkered as to think that just because we are Aston Villa we can hire who we want.

Anyway, I off to swim in my tropical hotel pool in my "depressing life". 

Can ya borra me a tenna kid? ;)

I agree some of the names were far fetched. But surely we can dream? Exciting as Henry was due to the unknown. I’m happier with Dean Smith. 

2 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

giphy.gif

No mention of the super-model wife, I noticed ?, so maybe The Wolf of Wall Street is bang on. May as well use that money for... ahem.. satisfaction.

Spoke to my neighbor this morning who’s a walsall fan. Whilst it’s a different level he said it took him a few years to get Walsall playing the way he wanted and had he not left he reckons they would have gone up that season.  But that’s walsall we’re talking about. 

With the players and resources he has at his disposal I reckon he will have us trying to play decent stuff within a few weeks.

5 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

I bet most of us had a big smile when Smith was appointed, not because he was our choice for the job simply because that it could have been one of us getting the Job, someone who grew up a Villa Fan.

Honestly, the fact that he's a Villa fan is more of a footnote for me. I'm chuffed with his appointment because, from an outside perspective, he seems to understand tactics, he likes to play attacking football, he likes to instill a philosophy where he goes and, unlike Bubble 'N Steve, he seems to be able to change a game plan based on the opposition he's playing.

He is both the 'sensible' choice (ie: has that ever-talked-down Championship experience, knows the league, knows the opposition), and also has the coaching ability to get a team playing above their means.

The fact he's a Villa fan is just the cherry on the cake, for me.

UTV! Deanoooooooooooooooooo!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

@Stevo985 I agree, I think his retirement announcement was the end. I just wonder. He was one of the best defenders in the league last year, so even playing once every two games, once fit, he'd be a huge asset in our (broken) defence. Ah well, hopefully he'll still add as much steel and organisation from the bench - presumably in his full kit!

He has retired he has moved onto the next stage of his career, he won't be mugging himself off for the sake of a few games after not playing for months. This is Aston Villa , this is the Championship,  not the dog and duck. it takes more than 'keeping trim' to compete, especially at 38 years old.

He would get rinsed. I don't want to see that from a CL winner 

Â