Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Refreshing he has simply got on with it praised the quality of the squad and used the squad he has at his disposal, Steve Bruce though we were 6 first team players short!  If Elphick and Steer were still here Im convinced he could take us up no problem without any Jan signings. 

7 hours ago, blandy said:

I get where you’re coming from, in that he’s a better manager for Villa than Bruce was ever going to be. I never wanted Steve Bruce as manager...but...

The thing with me is that unless things are disastrous managers have to be given time. 12 months ago I wouldn’t have been at all sad to see Bruce go, because I’ve never rated him and don’t like his football outlook, yet given the mess he inherited the extra season was just about deserved. I remember saying to @TRO that he wouldn’t take us up, but I was almost wrong, and that’s the thing - it is fine lines and managers deserve a decent opportunity to show their worth. The better owners can’t be changing manager every year. The same applies to Dean Smith, if he has a bad spell, as he will, the owners have to give him a chance to recover things. Regular upheaval is the enemy of progress. Give managers time, really is my message. Let’s be positive and say that Deano took over at nigh on the perfect time with the perfect board and that wouldn’t have been the case 12 months ago. 

Pete, I agree with all that, but just a slight addition.

Trent was right from Get go and that is to his credit....I was too uncertain of going backwards and that's the fear I had, I guess I should have believed more in what Trent and many others were saying and also my own signature " Fortune favours the brave"

I absolutely applaud  the style Dean has brought to us and No criticism whatsoever, but just a word of observation.....signing new players is a big part of a managers success and we haven't seen what Dean can do yet, fingers crossed....all the players are still SB's, which in one way highlights how good Dean is, but the trade off is, we haven't seen what he does in the transfer market.

There is more than one dimension to a football manager and Dean has past the first hurdle with flying colours.....To listen to him, tells me he knows what he is doing and further more knows what to look for, on that basis, I will be very surprised if he signs duffers....but we have to wait and see.

The time issue only works when a manager is on the right lines....if not its just procrastination.....In this case, I thought SB would change, nd that caution was just a temporary measure to stop haemorraging goals,Trent didn't...He was right and I was wrong.

However, I am also with you , Dean needs the time to make us progress, I think we are already playing fantastic, but I also see the little weaknesses too, just hoping they get fixed and don't hold us back from challenging.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Back to the game we had with Albion and the lousy officiating. What I've been saying all this time about the EFL and there need to shake these refs up is only reinforced by the Birmingham city defeat to Bristol. The fact three penaltys were denied and they were blatant clear penalty is an absoloute joke.

It certainly looks as though there is a need for replay technology in the championship more than ever now. It's happened way to much this season and it's very disgusting officiating that's the cause of our games in the championship being torn apart. It's not just our club that's going through it, it's many that are being screwed because of bad linesman and referees.

Edited by Dave-R

34 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Under Bruce we never knew which Villa were going to turn up. One week we would beat Wolves the next we would lost to QPR.

It doesn’t fee that way with Smith. Long may it continue! 

If you keep the same tactics every week, sometimes it will work and other times you will come up against a team who sets up to nullify it. That's why bruce was so inconsistent. As smith changes his tactics based on the next opponent, it is more likely to give us consistency. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

If you keep the same tactics every week, sometimes it will work and other times you will come up against a team who sets up to nullify it. That's why bruce was so inconsistent. As smith changes his tactics based on the next opponent, it is more likely to give us consistency. 

I don't think so. I just think Dean Smith plays better football, create more chances and as a result we win more games.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TRO said:

Pete, I agree with all that, but just a slight addition.

Trent was right from Get go and that is to his credit....I was too uncertain of going backwards and that's the fear I had, I guess I should have believed more in what Trent and many others were saying and also my own signature " Fortune favours the brave"

I absolutely applaud  the style Dean has brought to us and No criticism whatsoever, but just a word of observation.....signing new players is a big part of a managers success and we haven't seen what Dean can do yet, fingers crossed....all the players are still SB's, which in one way highlights how good Dean is, but the trade off is, we haven't seen what he does in the transfer market.

There is more than one dimension to a football manager and Dean has past the first hurdle with flying colours.....To listen to him, tells me he knows what he is doing and further more knows what to look for, on that basis, I will be very surprised if he signs duffers....but we have to wait and see.

The time issue only works when a manager is on the right lines....if not its just procrastination.....In this case, I thought SB would change, nd that caution was just a temporary measure to stop haemorraging goals,Trent didn't...He was right and I was wrong.

However, I am also with you , Dean needs the time to make us progress, I think we are already playing fantastic, but I also see the little weaknesses too, just hoping they get fixed and don't hold us back from challenging.

I applaud your honesty and openness  TRO - I would only have one question and this is not a leading question - but what has Bruce ever done in his career that made you wonder if caution was a just a temporary measure - I absolutely felt nothing other than a feeling of being totally underwhelmed the day he arrived at VP - a feeling that stayed with me throughout his tenure - I am so pleased that he's gone 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

That’s true but I could never understand the intensity of the players under Bruce. So many games we would be second to everything. That’s when I would question the desire or even fitness of the players rather than Bruce’s tactics. It never made sense to me why we so often used to be on the back foot in games. 

I don’t think he was getting the best out of the players. 

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It never made sense to me why we so often used to be on the back foot in games. 

The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over expecting a different result.

Edited by villalad21

Just now, villalad21 said:

The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over expecting a different result.

I get telling players to sit deep and get men behind the ball. But how do you coach being second to every thing and lack intensity. This was a mental or fitness thing. It’s goes beyond tactics. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I applaud your honesty and openness  TRO - I would only have one question and this is not a leading question - but what has Bruce ever done in his career that made you wonder if caution was a just a temporary measure - I absolutely felt nothing other than a feeling of being totally underwhelmed the day he arrived at VP - a feeling that stayed with me throughout his tenure - I am so pleased that he's gone 👍🏻

Having seen what i have of late, I am glad too.

but Dave.

Its a different playing field in what Bruce came in to, to what Dean came in to.Imo.

I am not trying to compare, because its clear the difference in philosophy....but in 2016 we needed to stop the sloppy goals against....The problem was he was unable to morph the team in to what Dean has.

I still think he deployed too many to defensive duties and that caution was his ultimate undoing.

We have come a long way from that and the club was ready for Deans style.I have been blown away with what he has achieved so far.....but we still have work to get us to a nailed on promotion team.

Its sometimes difficult to pick out particular sections of evolution and dwell on it.....its all part of the journey.

e.g  Vic Crowe played his part in Ron Saunders halcyon days with the kids he left him with.

• Like 2

Not sure that's real.

Can't imagine Smith saying that. It's too Sherwood-like. Maybe he did, it's not far off the truth. You don't have to say it in those words though.

Plus it's a terrible image with text all over the face. Looks like something some berk has made himself to stick on Facebook.

---

Edit. For reference. I'm taking about gwi1980's post here.

Edited by Tomaszk

Well reports as of now is that sheffield Wednesday  chiefs have met with Steve Bruce.

Mite not be long before we see Bronto Bruce back in the championship.

That's a game I so eagerly want if Bronto Bruce is at Wednesday, we owe Wednesday some revenge after they beat us 2-1 while under Bronto Bruce, then they would even have our dinosaur of a manager.

I do feel though that bruce would think he has something to prove if he came back to the championship, would be the only reason he comes back in my eyes. He would want to stick it to us as much as he could for his sacking, doubt it would happen though with the way were playing.

No way would bruce get the owls playing anywhere near as good as what Dean has us playing.

Edited by Dave-R

Â