Dean Smith

Demitri_C

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Hogan leave in january to be honest. 

Really? To be replaced by who?

I can see him getting a run in the cup!

We need to remember that we are only a few injuries away from need at any given point.

I don't want us to lose our depth.

As i've said a few times it seems Smith has a good knack of bringing players in at just the right time.

Fine tuning them behind closed doors.

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Really? To be replaced by who?

I can see him getting a run in the cup!

We need to remember that we are only a few injuries away from need at any given point.

I don't want us to lose our depth.

As i've said a few times it seems Smith has a good knack of bringing players in at just the right time.

Fine tuning them behind closed doors.

A new signing. 

There are certain people on here who refuse to give Scott a chance at any price and then deride others who offer a different perspective to theirs. I believe this is very unfair and feel Scott will score some important goals for us this year 

Fortunatley it appears that someone who does know what they speak of e.g. DS  can actually see the same merits that I and many others on here also see in Scott.

Edited by Dave J
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

DS's system got him banging in goals before so why not again?

It might.

But he's 3rd choice at the moment. He's nowhere near as good as Abraham or Kodjia. DS's system or not, those two are always going to be a better choice than Hogan.

So I don't think he'll get much of a look in. If anyone is interested in him in January then I wouldn't be surprised to see him go, especially if DS has his eye on any other attackers. Depends if we have any money to spend. Obviously our priorities are at the other end of the pitch so he might keep our attack the same.

But if there is someone he'd like to bring in up front then Hogan is the obvious person to make way.

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Man I hate to dwell on the past, but I swear every game under DS is another nail in Steve Bruce's managerial coffin. Hopefully Pulis is next.

You hope Pulis is next at Villa or that Smith replaces Pulis at Boro? Booooooooooo!

😋

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Dave J said:

There are certain people on here who refuse to give Scott a chance at any price and then deride others who offer a different perspective to theirs. I believe this is very unfair and feel Scott will score some important goals for us this year 

Fortunatley it appears that someone who does know what they speak of e.g. DS  can actually see the same merits that I and many others on here also see in Scott.

Dean will get the best out of Scott, it's only a matter of time I think  before we see Scott out perform kodjia on a regular basis. I think kodjia wont be good enough for the premiere and id much rather scott take his place and see if he can make something of himself. I also think smith has plans for scott,  hes had him before so he knows what scotts strengths are. Scott's also a few years younger than kodjia rite? Scott can make it happen if he wants it that bad, I think he should becoming on before kodjia anyway.

I know it sounds like I'm putting kodjia down, he is a good player but I feel scott can be better. I don't think kodjia has done much this season so far,goes missing to much, goes out of position,  has caused giveaways way to much. In my opinion we should replace him and sell him when we can and Smith can bring someone more capable, he's not bang in in as many as be should  be, it's like waiting for Xmas.

No matter what without Tammy, if we enter the premiere, I think we're going to struggle with the strike force we have at the moment, not to mention other positions. I think a firesale is needed on alot of players if we go up. we should keep the following in Grealish,Mcginn, whelan, hourihane, Hutton, Elmo, Tuanzebe-( if can buy) Tammy-( if can buy) ghazi. really it's a very short list on players we have that would be keepable in the premiere in my view.

I really do think we may actually need another season in the championship. As good as Smith has us running in such a short space of time, Smith really needs a few transfer windows to get rid of certain players who are obviously struggling in Smith's new villa and bring new players in. As much as i hate to say, we are no where near ready for the premiere, i think we need more time to get our team sorted..

49 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Dean will get the best out of Scott, it's only a matter of time I think  before we see Scott out perform kodjia on a regular basis. I think kodjia wont be good enough for the premiere and id much rather scott take his place and see if he can make something of himself. I also think smith has plans for scott,  hes had him before so he knows what scotts strengths are. Scott's also a few years younger than kodjia rite? Scott can make it happen if he wants it that bad, I think he should becoming on before kodjia anyway.

I know it sounds like I'm putting kodjia down, he is a good player but I feel scott can be better. I don't think kodjia has done much this season so far,goes missing to much, goes out of position,  has caused giveaways way to much. In my opinion we should replace him and sell him when we can and Smith can bring someone more capable, he's not bang in in as many as be should  be, it's like waiting for Xmas.

No matter what without Tammy, if we enter the premiere, I think we're going to struggle with the strike force we have at the moment, not to mention other positions. I think a firesale is needed on alot of players if we go up. we should keep the following in Grealish,Mcginn, whelan, hourihane, Hutton, Elmo, Tuanzebe-( if can buy) Tammy-( if can buy) ghazi. really it's a very short list on players we have that would be keepable in the premiere in my view.

I really do think we may actually need another season in the championship. As good as Smith has us running in such a short space of time, Smith really needs a few transfer windows to get rid of certain players who are obviously struggling in Smith's new villa and bring new players in. As much as i hate to say, we are no where near ready for the premiere, i think we need more time to get our team sorted..

I’m not disagreeing, but you can say that about most teams that are promoted. It’s difficult to get in PL standard players when you’re in the Championship. DS and others behind the scenes are building a new culture which is already showing on the pitch. Whilst quality players are always important, the way in which they are coached and the philosophy behind the coaching is equally vital. Just look at the difference between Bruce’s team and the current one with exactly the same personnel. It’s still 8 months before the next season starts, if we continue the rate of progress we’ve already seen and with the two transfer windows we have, then we will be fine. If of course we get promoted. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

He should have been appointed 12 months ago.

I get where you’re coming from, in that he’s a better manager for Villa than Bruce was ever going to be. I never wanted Steve Bruce as manager...but...

The thing with me is that unless things are disastrous managers have to be given time. 12 months ago I wouldn’t have been at all sad to see Bruce go, because I’ve never rated him and don’t like his football outlook, yet given the mess he inherited the extra season was just about deserved. I remember saying to @TRO that he wouldn’t take us up, but I was almost wrong, and that’s the thing - it is fine lines and managers deserve a decent opportunity to show their worth. The better owners can’t be changing manager every year. The same applies to Dean Smith, if he has a bad spell, as he will, the owners have to give him a chance to recover things. Regular upheaval is the enemy of progress. Give managers time, really is my message. Let’s be positive and say that Deano took over at nigh on the perfect time with the perfect board and that wouldn’t have been the case 12 months ago. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure anyone is saying that Scott is going to be a regular starter - but I do foresee him being an integral part of the match day 18 and that some important goals will come from his involmemt.

Its plain silly to continue to berate him all of the time.

Give the guy a chance once in a while  - he won't be going anywhere this season at least - our strike force carries enough collective potency to win the play - offs - other areas of the team need attention first.

Thankfully the person that matters and whose views are the ones I take note of does appear to rate Scott.

8 minutes ago, blandy said:

I get where you’re coming from, in that he’s a better manager for Villa than Bruce was ever going to be. I never wanted Steve Bruce as manager...but...

The thing with me is that unless things are disastrous managers have to be given time. 12 months ago I wouldn’t have been at all sad to see Bruce go, because I’ve never rated him and don’t like his football outlook, yet given the mess he inherited the extra season was just about deserved. I remember saying to @TRO that he wouldn’t take us up, but I was almost wrong, and that’s the thing - it is fine lines and managers deserve a decent opportunity to show their worth. The better owners can’t be changing manager every year. The same applies to Dean Smith, if he has a bad spell, as he will, the owners have to give him a chance to recover things. Regular upheaval is the enemy of progress. Give managers time, really is my message. Let’s be positive and say that Deano took over at nigh on the perfect time with the perfect board and that wouldn’t have been the case 12 months ago. 

Sorry I disagree - Bruce failed in successive seasons - regardless of tight margins.

He had more than enough resources to have reached the play offs in his first season and last season should have been automatic.

I can see what you mean regarding Smith - timing/ new owners etc - but that does not hide the fact Bruce messed up and should have gone at the final whistle in May. Imo 

3 minutes ago, Dave J said:

can see what you mean regarding Smith - timing/ new owners etc - but that does not hide the fact Bruce messed up and should have gone at the final whistle in May. Imo 

We seem to be at cross purposes Dave. I’m talking about not the end of last season, but the one before when we finished mid table. I’m no Bruce fan at all, but I think at the end of 16/17 he just about squeaked enough credit to earn another 12 months. Though I remember being at Blackburn for the last game of that season and kind of re-affirming my view that, no, this bloke is a bad fit for Villa. Yet at the time the evidence and arguments to support my view were less clear than they were after we lost the play off final to Fulham. Still, like I said it’s sll fine lines. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Hindsight is wonderful and on basis I am glad Dean Smith wasn't appointed under Xia, Round, Wyness regime.

He would have been the right manager under the wrong ownership.

We would possibly have gone on back to the Premiership for all the wrong reasons whilst being ran by shysters.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

That is excellent and so true, could not of said it any better..

• Like 1

Hogan deserves a go. What Kodjia did on friday was inexcusable.

We're holding onto a narrow lead and instead of playing simple passes Kodjia decides to dribble everytime he gets on the ball and losing it.

Kodjia doesn't strike me as a teamplayer, he is playing for himself, at least that's what i saw on friday.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Hogan deserves a go. What Kodjia did on friday was inexcusable.

I don't think that will be lost on Smith. 

He isn't going to get in up top ahead of Tammy, and if he can't be trusted to put in a shift from the bench he won't get much game time. 

His saving grace atm is the injury to Adomah. As i said above, with a fully fit squad he is 3rd choice striker and 4th choice winger. 

He doesn't suit what Smith is trying to do and I'd be happy to see the back of him. 

Â