Dean Smith

Demitri_C

?There's also the fact that it's just football and it's out of our control, and we may as well be glass half-full surely? Otherwise it would just be depressing.

There are definite positives about Dean Smith—his style of play and his apparent ability to coach players into a system. He can do that. Sure, Brentford was a different setup but he still has some skills we've been lacking for ages. I'm looking forwards to seeing what he can do.

• Like 1

I bet Smith is absolutely licking his lips about the prospect of working with our current squad in an attacking sense.  He has had to work wonders with bargain basement players for years. 

With our defence being so weak at the moment, best form of defence will be to press hard up the pitch and keep ball in their half. 

Knowing it will take time, I'm really looking forward to seeing how this develops.  We have been anti-football for over 10 years!

Edited by New_Hope

If Smith can get us playing a way that suits Kodjia, Grealish, Abraham AND Hogan (not necessarily all at once), I wonder whether the Bolasie loan has an option to cancel. That £60/70k p/w, or whatever it was, would be better spent on a keeper and/or a defender.

Also, while I'm thinking pie-in-the-sky, I can't be the only one wondering whether Terry would come out of retirement to be a player/assistant, though he might feel that would represent a step backwards in his leap into management.

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

Also, while I'm thinking pie-in-the-sky, I can't be the only one wondering whether Terry would come out of retirement to be a player/assistant, though he might feel that would represent a step backwards in his leap into management.

It seems as if he retired to take this job.

10 hours ago, Jareth said:

Yeah why not, it doesn't matter there who their manager is - they have very little to do and any success if entirely nothing to do with them. 

I thought the remaining coaches wouldn't draw lot's to decide the new head coach (as it makes no difference which one it is) then they would take on the paper boy to fill the coaching vacancy and let the magic football system fill his body with the will and the way after they whispered the words of power. 

I'm absolutely delighted with this. I think Purslow has conducted a thorough, detailed and importantly behind closed doors approach to this appointment. The press really do know **** all. 

I think this will be a huge lift for everyone associated with the club. I'm pleased for the players who will hopefully be given the freedom to play football how they want to play it - BruceBall is surely no-one's cup of tea!?

However, I'm most thrilled for those hardy souls who go each and every week to VP, or make the long treks to Millwall etc. They have the right to expect a certain standard of football, and that has been taken away from them for far too long.

(I'm also happy for me as I get to sing the Deano song again on my next trip to VP in November!)

Viva La Villaloution. 

33 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Wow. Ok, I don't live a depressing life. I am a very successful enterpreneur that has visited over 120 countries and have built an amazing life for myself from nothing. Building companies up from scratch and spending my entire life travelling. 

So you can take that attitude somewhere else because you couldn't be more wrong. There is no need to get personal.

The reason WHY I have become successful is because I know when to pick my battles. I don't hope for things that are totally unrealistic and OUT OF MY CONTROL. That's just stupid. If I can personally change something to make it better, or strive for something that I can achieve then that's exactly what I do. I'd wager that if you are looking for a depressing life then you might want to look closer to home.

Above all, I was absolutely BANG ON with my prediction as to who we would get as I am very aware of our financial predicament and not so blinkered as to think that just because we are Aston Villa we can hire who we want.

Anyway, I off to swim in my tropical hotel pool in my "depressing life". 

My previous reply appears to have mysteriously disappeared from the thread, with no explanation. So I'll post it again.

Nothing in my life is depressing, thank you. 

As I said, I was just looking through a positive new manager thread and felt the need to comment on your post, which seemed to have been posted from your high-horse, praising where your predictions came true and that people should have listened to your warnings.

This is a thread of grown men (and women) who, I'm sure, can handle whatever minor disappointments they may feel. Let them hope or gamble.

I, for one, am happy with Smith, though I was also also excited at the prospect of an unknown Henry/ Faria appointment. There's no disappointment here. :thumb:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Some sites were just over an hour ago saying we were about to appoint Rui Faria!

Exactly! As Ygritte would say..."You know nothin Jon Snow"

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

If Smith can get us playing a way that suits Kodjia, Grealish, Abraham AND Hogan (not necessarily all at once), I wonder whether the Bolasie loan has an option to cancel. That £60/70k p/w, or whatever it was, would be better spent on a keeper and/or a defender.

I think it's probably too late for JT.

I know he keeps himself fit, but match fitness is different. It would probably be December before he's ready to play by which time I'm sure (I HOPE!) we'll be looking at bringing other defenders in in January. So I imagine it's not really worth it.

I'm sure he's thought about it, but I reckon he thought about before he announced his retirement. That announcement is the end of it I'd guess.

5 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

It seems as if he retired to take this job.

Yes, that's definitely what it seems. I just think he's still got it in him, and don't want us to look back at the end of the season and wonder 'what if'.

Hopefully we don't need him, and Smith & Terry manage to sort the defence out.

38 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Wow. Ok, I don't live a depressing life. I am a very successful enterpreneur that has visited over 120 countries and have built an amazing life for myself from nothing. Building companies up from scratch and spending my entire life travelling. 

So you can take that attitude somewhere else because you couldn't be more wrong. There is no need to get personal.

The reason WHY I have become successful is because I know when to pick my battles. I don't hope for things that are totally unrealistic and OUT OF MY CONTROL. That's just stupid. If I can personally change something to make it better, or strive for something that I can achieve then that's exactly what I do. I'd wager that if you are looking for a depressing life then you might want to look closer to home.

Above all, I was absolutely BANG ON with my prediction as to who we would get as I am very aware of our financial predicament and not so blinkered as to think that just because we are Aston Villa we can hire who we want.

Anyway, I off to swim in my tropical hotel pool in my "depressing life". 

yosser.jpg

10 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I would imagine that the talks between Villa, Smith and Terry have been ongoing since last week and that on the back of these Terry has retired to work as assistant manager.

I do wonder though how long into them both working with the team they realise that him playing alongside Chester would make the whole defensive unit a lot stronger. Even if he just played until January when we can get in another centre back.

Saying all of this I think Tuanzebe was excellent in the last two games, despite conceding so many goals.

• Like 1

Â