Dean Smith

Demitri_C

31 minutes ago, Cjay said:

We have played both Forest and WBA, Forest didnt impress me at all that day, fouling, negative gits, 3 shots 1 on target 1 goal, how lucky can you be.

But like you maybe we didnt take our chances i dont know.

You had 30 shots but played 10 men for 25minutes. 

Points dropped i suppose, we have been there to many times this season to. 

Getting nervous because you talk of strengthening, we talk of not and we desperately need it.

Vs us you will probably be playing our 3rd choice right back and 4th choice cb, it isnt good reading from our point of view.

Particularly given your upturn in goals.

FWIW I think it might just be our two clubs that make up the top 2 this season.

As it is, under Smith, Villa are league leaders in a number of key stats. Guess who comes in at 2nd in all of those stats? Leeds.

52 minutes ago, Cjay said:

We have played both Forest and WBA, Forest didnt impress me at all that day, fouling, negative gits, 3 shots 1 on target 1 goal, how lucky can you be.

But like you maybe we didnt take our chances i dont know.

You had 30 shots but played 10 men for 25minutes. 

Points dropped i suppose, we have been there to many times this season to. 

Getting nervous because you talk of strengthening, we talk of not and we desperately need it.

Vs us you will probably be playing our 3rd choice right back and 4th choice cb, it isnt good reading from our point of view.

Particularly given your upturn in goals.

At least you have. 4th choice CB

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Cjay said:

But vs Birmingham you were fortunate not go go 2 down before you scored, against Forest you scored 2 after they were down to 10 men and 1 of the goals that day was a pen. 

Every team has good fortune. If you were to break leeds's performances down then I'm sure they would have equal amounts of good luck. 

6 hours ago, Cjay said:

If Darren Moore sets up like he did us (something he hasnt done before or since in this league apparently), stay tight and narrow, allow you to have the ball and hit on the break i think you will lose. Furthermore, your away form is patchy even under Smith.

Middlesbrough tried that and got 3 put past them. If they can't contain us using that tactic then i don't fancy the baggies chances, considering their own defensive frailties. 

40 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Every team has good fortune. If you were to break leeds's performances down then I'm sure they would have equal amounts of good luck. 

Leeds scored from a handball v forest, had Reading miss a last minute penalty and had a gift from Sheff Uniteds keeper. That’s 3 extra points from luck right there. 

You earn your luck and all that so I think both us and Leeds are managing to do that. 

3 hours ago, A'Villan said:

As it is, under Smith, Villa are league leaders in a number of key stats. Guess who comes in at 2nd in all of those stats? Leeds.

The unfortunate bit for us is.....The league don't count from when DS came in so its just cosmetic.

Reality started in August.

7 hours ago, romavillan said:

Yep I think we're overdoing Sherwoods flappy hands and underestimating the effect Kante had on that game. 

As for interpreting the cockernee flappy hands, it looks like he's asking them to swap positions and move more. Trouble is, if you don't work on that stuff on the training ground so that what *looks* like players swapping at random and popping up in space between the lines happens. Then it doesn't happen, unfortunately I think Tactics Tim thought you just say "now do the fluid movement, position swapping shit, I showed you from that Guardiola's Barcelona video". Without the hard work that goes in to achieving it ;)

Do you mean, understanding the hand movement?😂

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

The unfortunate bit for us is.....The league don't count from when DS came in so its just cosmetic.

Reality started in August.

It is not just cosmetic. It's quite a good indicator of who ends up where. I take your point that we have only been under his stewardship for 8 matches where others have 20 to gauge how they match up. There's over half the season to play though. If we maintain our standards and keep putting ourselves in positions to win matches then we have every chance of results reflecting our efforts. As I said in my post, Leeds are the only team consistently 2nd only to be bested by us in some key stats that are a reliable indicator for how things pan out. Whether you're a statistician or not a fan of statistics is irrelevant here.

Yes the season started in August and our start was less than desirable but reality is that the gap is not insurmountable and our team, in the last 8 games, looks capable of bridging the gap.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Oh it was definitely points dropped. We should have won the game.

But like I said I don't think it's a game you can point at and say "well they conceded 5 goals so their defence must be poor", and looking at it the other way you can't say well we scored 5 so we must be amazing going forward.

It was a crazy game. Like when Man Utd drew 5-5 with West Brom or that Portsmouth game when they won like 7-5 against Reading.

It was a freak result. You have to look at more than one game to draw those sorts of conclusions. And since Smith has come in our goals scored and goals conceded have both moved in the right direction.

Yes true it was a freak result but it did highlight how i think most fans see you and Brentford back in Dean Smiths time, going forward good, going the other way not so much.

He has improved things definitely, going forward you are much better to watch and have had some very impressive results, Derby, Birmingham, Boro.

Being honest under Bruce i wasnt to worried about you as a team, thought without individual brilliance you wouldn't get far and were just fortunate to have some really good players but doubted thatd be enough to get you up as it hadnt before.

Now with Dean i am concerned because on a low budget he kept Brentford competitive and probably the only thing that stopped them was there own squad limitations and budget.

You have a better squad certainly offensively and if you can strengthen in January then no reason you wouldn't be challenging.

4 hours ago, A'Villan said:

We used to be first in practically everything lol. 

I'm quite pessimistic despite my defence on here of us i think our squad is to shallow to get promoted tbh.

Performances have dropped with the injurieswe have had and its probably only going to get worse.

I really want us to strengthen in January but Bielsa for all his pluses is very stubborn and has made his position clear already.

Just have to hope he has a change of heart.

You i can see getting in to the top 6 certainly, top 2 depends on January business imo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cjay said:

We used to be first in practically everything lol. 

I'm quite pessimistic despite my defence on here of us i think our squad is to shallow to get promoted tbh.

Performances have dropped with the injurieswe have had and its probably only going to get worse.

I really want us to strengthen in January but Bielsa for all his pluses is very stubborn and has made his position clear already.

Just have to hope he has a change of heart.

You i can see getting in to the top 6 certainly, top 2 depends on January business imo.

Bielsa has been my favourite coach in the world for years. That will probably change pretty quickly with Smith coming to Villa. Though that's neither here nor there.

You say performances have dropped but outside of a loss to WBA you are on a very nice run of form. Looking at the stats I'm guessing the WBA game was more a case of things not going your way on the day than it was the brilliance of WBA? Same as the game against Forest, you tick the boxes for a victory but the result doesn't reflect the performance?

Outside of Hernandez (who is arguably the best in the league in his position) and Bielsa I really don't know what your team is capable of.

I called it from the minute Bielsa was announced as Leeds' that you would be on your way to promotion. He has done some truly remarkable things with squads you would of thought destined to make up the numbers or even drop a division.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

At least you have. 4th choice CB

🤣

Actually its more complicated then that.

Our first choice cb pairing was our captain and our 2nd choice right back last season .

Then our Captain got injured in the warm up vs Swansea and our 1st choice rb became our 3rd choice cb while a cm from the u23s became our 2nd choice right back by default.

Then the player most LUFC fans consider our best and 1st choice cb (but was 4th choice).came in to partner our 2nd choice right back and our 1st choice right back moved back to right back.

Then our 1st choice cb in the fans eyes was dropped to the bench while our captain came back in to partner our 2nd choice rb from last season in the centre of defence.

Then our 2nd choice rb last season got injured and our 1st choice cb in the fans eyes (4th choice)came back in.

Then we moved to a back 3 and our 1st choice defensive midfielder became out 5th choice cb. 

Then our left back got injured so our back up winger (right footed) became our 2nd choice left back. 

Then our 1st choice rb got sent off so our back up winger and 2nd choice lb became our 3rd choice rb and last seasons 2nd choice rb who had started as part of our 1st choice cb pairing became our 3rd choice left back.

Then we went back to a back 3 and the first choice cb pairing of captain and 2nd choice rb last season who had become 3rd choice lb were joined in defence by our 1st choice dm who was by default already our 5th choice cb.

Then back to a back 4 the 2nd choice rb from last season who was 3rd choice lb this and part of our 1st choice cb pairing got injured again so the fans 1st choice cb but actually 4th choice by defauly came back in while the back up winger who was 3rd choice right back and 2nd choice left back went back to left back.

Then back to a back 3 where captain and 1st choice fans cb who was 4th choice by default were joined by the 1st choice dm and default 5th choice cb while the 2nd choice lb who was a back uo winger went back in as a 3rd choice right back/ wing back while the 1st choice left back was now back from injury.

Then back to a back 4 with the captain and fans 1st choice cb (4th by default) at cb  and the back up winger who was 2nd choice left back and 3rd choice right back at right back again.

And then fans 1st choice cb 4th by default got injured and so from the u23s we found a 6th choice cb.

Then 6th choice cb was benched and 1st choice dm and 5th choice cb came in to partner captain.

Finally back to a back 3 with captain and fans 1st choice cb (4th by default remember) plus 1st choice dm 5th choice cb but then captain got injured in that game and the u23 player the 6th choice cb came back in for the rest of that game.

And now  both of the 1st choice cb pairing is out (cb who was 2nd choice rb last season and 3rd choice left back) and captain. 

Plus the back up winger who was 2nd choice left back 3rd choice right back.

So the 2nd choice right back who is really a cm from the u23s will come in at right back and the 6th choice cb will come in from the u23s (probably) to partner the fans 1st choice cb but 4th by default.

Told you it was complicated . . . . . . Now i shall go for a lay down.

Edited by Cjay

5 hours ago, Cjay said:

We are both wrong actually, it was 4-3 to Forest.

Sending off in the 68th minute you scored 71st and 75th and they scored again 82nd.

I do try to be right before i say facts lol my bad.

Just to clarify this, we scored from the free kick that forest conceded which left them with 10 men. They had 10 men for approximately 2 seconds of football when we equalised and given that the man sent off wasn't marking Abraham it had absolutely no bearing on the equalising goal. Also we were absolutely battering them at that point and it was only a matter of time before we scored anyway 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, weedman said:

Just to clarify this, we scored from the free kick that forest conceded which left them with 10 men. They had 10 men for approximately 2 seconds of football when we equalised and given that the man sent off wasn't marking Abraham it had absolutely no bearing on the equalising goal. Also we were absolutely battering them at that point and it was only a matter of time before we scored anyway 

We did have 20 odd minutes to win the game and to be honest we could have scored 3 in that time. It just wasn’t to be.

9 hours ago, Cjay said:

🤣

Actually its more complicated then that.

Our first choice cb pairing was our captain and our 2nd choice right back last season .

Then our Captain got injured in the warm up vs Swansea and our 1st choice rb became our 3rd choice cb while a cm from the u23s became our 2nd choice right back by default.

Then the player most LUFC fans consider our best and 1st choice cb (but was 4th choice).came in to partner our 2nd choice right back and our 1st choice right back moved back to right back.

Then our 1st choice cb in the fans eyes was dropped to the bench while our captain came back in to partner our 2nd choice rb from last season in the centre of defence.

Then our 2nd choice rb last season got injured and our 1st choice cb in the fans eyes (4th choice)came back in.

Then we moved to a back 3 and our 1st choice defensive midfielder became out 5th choice cb. 

Then our left back got injured so our back up winger (right footed) became our 2nd choice left back. 

Then our 1st choice rb got sent off so our back up winger and 2nd choice lb became our 3rd choice rb and last seasons 2nd choice rb who had started as part of our 1st choice cb pairing became our 3rd choice left back.

Then we went back to a back 3 and the first choice cb pairing of captain and 2nd choice rb last season who had become 3rd choice lb were joined in defence by our 1st choice dm who was by default already our 5th choice cb.

Then back to a back 4 the 2nd choice rb from last season who was 3rd choice lb this and part of our 1st choice cb pairing got injured again so the fans 1st choice cb but actually 4th choice by defauly came back in while the back up winger who was 3rd choice right back and 2nd choice left back went back to left back.

Then back to a back 3 where captain and 1st choice fans cb who was 4th choice by default were joined by the 1st choice dm and default 5th choice cb while the 2nd choice lb who was a back uo winger went back in as a 3rd choice right back/ wing back while the 1st choice left back was now back from injury.

Then back to a back 4 with the captain and fans 1st choice cb (4th by default) at cb  and the back up winger who was 2nd choice left back and 3rd choice right back at right back again.

And then fans 1st choice cb 4th by default got injured and so from the u23s we found a 6th choice cb.

Then 6th choice cb was benched and 1st choice dm and 5th choice cb came in to partner captain.

Finally back to a back 3 with captain and fans 1st choice cb (4th by default remember) plus 1st choice dm 5th choice cb but then captain got injured in that game and the u23 player the 6th choice cb came back in for the rest of that game.

And now  both of the 1st choice cb pairing is out (cb who was 2nd choice rb last season and 3rd choice left back) and captain. 

Plus the back up winger who was 2nd choice left back 3rd choice right back.

So the 2nd choice right back who is really a cm from the u23s will come in at right back and the 6th choice cb will come in from the u23s (probably) to partner the fans 1st choice cb but 4th by default.

Told you it was complicated . . . . . . Now i shall go for a lay down.

Yeh but have you ever had a back 4 made up entirely of right backs?

• Haha 4

Â