Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Saw alot of classy, awesome Brentford fans wish him the best and speak highly of him and not begrudging him the opportunity to join his club. 

Then there was this guy:

Elliot Crouch said: "Why would he want to manage a team below his own in the same league?

"It's like Pep Guardiola wanting to manage Brighton?"

?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 1

Exciting times.   A few days ago I was encourage by the idea of JT suiting up to partner Chester as player /coach till January window.  But when he officially and publicly retired that got shot down.   

Now I think.  In all the views involved here.  JT, Smith, Purslow, Jesus, NSWE, all agents involved, all lawyers, I wonder who insisted that JT not suiting up was part of the deal?

someone may know:  does months or years of experience coaching count for “credit” toward a UEFA coaching badge?   Would that time not count if it were player/ coach?  Just wondering if Terry or his agent we’re concerned that playing could delay his badges?   If not, I wonder who did not want him to play, and why?

just musing, no idea of the answer.  Anyway UTV and I hope Dean Smith gets to celebrate promotion and lots of hardware with us.  

Congratulations to the club on the appointment of Dean Smith, personally although not my first choice, I believe he's a very good manager and believe he will do an excellent job. He understands the club and I look forward to him getting the best out of our squad.

Also, applaud the club for the appointment of JT as his assistant. This is a really exciting double appointment that will energise the squad, the club and the fans.

PS feel a little sorry for Brentford fans, hopefully they can find a suitable appointment to keep Dean's good work going.

8 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Bit late to the party as I went to bed early, and now I’m up at 5am, but welcome Dean!

Likewise. Great news to wake up to. The best combo available. Smith to quietly get on with instilling his football philosophy, Terry to deal with the egos. If we don't go up we'll have someone who knows how to get us out of the shit on a shoestring.

Bring it on!

43 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Exciting times.   A few days ago I was encourage by the idea of JT suiting up to partner Chester as player /coach till January window.  But when he officially and publicly retired that got shot down.   

Now I think.  In all the views involved here.  JT, Smith, Purslow, Jesus, NSWE, all agents involved, all lawyers, I wonder who insisted that JT not suiting up was part of the deal?

someone may know:  does months or years of experience coaching count for “credit” toward a UEFA coaching badge?   Would that time not count if it were player/ coach?  Just wondering if Terry or his agent we’re concerned that playing could delay his badges?   If not, I wonder who did not want him to play, and why?

just musing, no idea of the answer.  Anyway UTV and I hope Dean Smith gets to celebrate promotion and lots of hardware with us.  

You can achieve your Level 5 UEFA Pro License or any of the accreditation levels that are available as a player but the PFA website says it is difficult.

Terry would have to be Level 4 UEFA A License already to be our assistant manager. The completion time for this is 2 years.

It's apparently recommended that on the completion of a new level you go away and find some practical hands-on experience in what you've just qualified to do.

I don't think that coaching experience counts for credit as you can only work in what you're qualified to do and it is expected that you go and obtain some experience between levels.

Apparently ex-pros get preferential treatment in admittance to the courses so maybe the rules are more guidelines and can be bent depending on who you are. I'm no sure.

From the accounts that I just read including the official site doing the coursework is mandatory and gaining experience between levels is advised.

Terry still potentially has 3 years of coursework to go before gaining his Pro License. Lampard was definitely playing while getting his badges.

Hope that helps.

There was talk on here that the board did not want Terry to play for us this season. I obviously can't vouch for that. As far as I can see the decision was his own and he is moving on to a new phase of his career. He would undoubtedly have his legacy as a player somewhere in the back of his skull as well. Turned down the opportunity to play Champions League and a shot at Russian top flight silverware for a last hurrah so maybe he decided back then his next role would be as coach.

• Thanks 1

Very happy with the appointment. We’ve got a manager who likes to play entertaining football, and although it’s a big step up for him, I genuinely think he has it in him to succeed here, and become a better manager. Even more delighted we have Terry back at the club, as he’s a natural born winner. Sensible decision by the board. Also a very exciting partnership too. 

Brilliant appointment. 

God knows how the bloke will be feeling when he walks out the tunnel to the whole stadium singing 'he's one of our own'

It will be a dream come true for him, and I've got a feeling that he will implement a style of play that we have been dreaming about for years. 

Nothing not to like about this. 

6 hours ago, Spoony said:

God I hope this works. But it screams Paul Lambert to me. 

Didn't realise lambert  was a villa fan and loves the club? I really don't get one some keep saying this.  Smith is nothing like lambert 

• Like 1

I think Smith and Terry will have a pretty immediate impact. Not in terms of style of play, that will take time, but the positive approach to training and attacking mindset will create a happy traing ground. Players will be having fun and i think the whole place will get a lift. 

I think he will lookto play people in their correct positions so i could imagine a back 4 of:

Hutton  Chester  Axel  Taylor

That will get us January when he can strengthen.

We are right back in the race for promotion imo. Could you imagine a Villa fan returning us to the PL? I might be going OTT but this guy could be a bloody legend down VP. 

It's been longer than i care to remember that I've been this excited about a managerial appointment. 

6 hours ago, fifamad said:

Underwhelming. 

What were you expecting?

This is precisely what I said would happen. People see these ludicrous names being banded around and get all excited and then when soneone like Smith walks in they feel let down.

We were never getting those names that were being mentioned on here given our current position. People didn't want to believe that what I was saying was true and really believed we were about to hire a Champions League manager when the reality was always going to be someone like Smith. I am very happy with Smith because I didn't expect anyone of a higher calibre. Others are now feeling let down. There's that useless "hope" I was talking about on the speculation thread. Hope is of no use when it's not aligned to reality.

Given our limited resources and lowly standing, this is the best we could have got. He is a good, proven Championship manager with a good attitude and an exciting, attacking mentality. 

Which is just as well seeing as though we have no defence.

• Like 2

I'm really struggling to understand posters who fear Smith will fail but think Henry would have been success. 

Edited by av1

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Didn't realise lambert  was a villa fan and loves the club? I really don't get one some keep saying this.  Smith is nothing like lambert 

I think some are just fearful without realising there is no basis for this mentality as there are no indicators to suggest what will happen just yet.

Conjuring up efforts to draw parallels between the two is an exercise in pessimism and ignores a myriad of difference between them and their circumstances, while focusing on the worst commonalities the two share, for the sake of confirming whatever doubts they have given birth to.

Based on absolutely nothing but the possibility that things don't go well.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Â