Dean Smith

Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Meh. Oh well. Welcome, I guess. The good news is John Terry is back and we have a progressive new DOF so hopefully they can push Smith towards good football. He has my support but I cant deny I am very disappointed in yet another same old same old British manager.

Same old, same old? You’re blinkered by Bruceball mate.

• Like 1

Have a good feeling about this. The real dream team ?

Finally we might have our very own identity. Finally we might have our very own brand of football. Finally we might go onto a football pitch prepared and drilled (ooohhhh.jpg). Finally we may see some tactics, and counter reactions to whats going on on the pitch. Finally some of the kids who are deserving may be blooded, and finally we might just have players playing in their natural positions.

Only gripe is this should have happened in the summer. But it is what it is now. Welcome Dean and welcome back JT. Really pleased with this appointment, looking forward to the pair of you motivating this bunch again, and getting the most out of that Gresford kid again. When was the last time we had a fan managing the club? UTV

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

However his record decent if  not outstanding

For a club the size of Brentford it’s pretty close to outstanding.

It will need time to completely change the culture of the club, but I think having Terry with him helps to hit the ground running. Very interesting times ahead. 

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

I've seen some posts here about first choices falling through, and "third choice Dean".

But Rui Faria was seemingly never approached even though he said he wasn't interested, Brendan Rodgers said he was never approached, and the Belgian FA said Henry was never approached.

Perhaps the board and CEO had a vision for success, and a structure to get there?

Perhaps they identified people to suit that structure?

Perhaps they've got their first choice targets for all of those roles?

Perhaps the delay was just getting compensation agreed for Smith?

Surely the media and the bookies weren't just blagging it all along?!

I suppose it’s easy to spin it like this. And yeah - I hope this is true. 

But maybe, just maybe, Smith WAS third choice? Perhaps Henry WAS approached and wasn’t interested? Perhaps the journalist who suggested the Belgian FA hadn’t received an approach was wrong? 

Perhaps Faria was on our radar which is why he purposely decided to rule himself out the job? 

Perhaps a number of things happened & Dean Smith WAS amongst a number of candidates, BUT not necessary first choice? 

I guess it depends what news sources you read and want to believe. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

1 minute ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

I suppose it’s easy to spin it like this. And yeah - I hope this is true. 

But mate, just maybe Smith was third choice? Perhaps Henry WAS approached and wasn’t interested? Perhaps the journalist who suggested the Belgian FA hadn’t received an approach was wrong? 

Perhaps Faria was on our radar which is why he purposely decided to rule himself out the job? 

Perhaps a number of things happened & Dean Smith WAS amongst a number of candidates, BUT not necessary first choice? 

I guess it depends what news sources you read and want to believe. 

I've heard if Smith and Terry turned us down we were going to take on Peter Withe and Dwight Yorke as his assistant.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

For a club the size of Brentford it’s pretty close to outstanding.

It will need time to completely change the culture of the club, but I think having Terry with him helps to hit the ground running. Very interesting times ahead. 

Yes and no. Howe got Bournemouth promoted, who I would say are a similar sized club. But 3 top 10 finished is not to be sniffed at either.

• Like 1

A very strong third choice for me, with the added, twist of John Terry being second in command.

Terry is a strong character and a leader, it's not a given that Terry and Smith goes well together. However, if they do the Terry factor might just provide the missing piece for this setup to be something amazing.

I'm prepared to give them time to turn around things, especially considering the style Smith is presumably going for. Though the petulant child in me would really like them to start winning every match 4-0 from the get go!

So, obviously I'm going to be very crossed as soon as the first plucky 3-1 victory comes. :rolleyes:

UTV! Exciting times ahead, if we manage to muster patience.

I was in favour of the idea and bravery of Henry but Smith makes perfect sense and he has my full backing. Looks like an NFL set up with a head coach under a Director or General Manager. Better for continuity.

Im delighted with Terry back in the fold too. I strongly believed most good things last season came from his leadership and example and not Bruce.

Looking forward to getting this show back on the road. I hope he can do it soon as we have ground to make up but its still very possible. Not expecting miracles though.

At last an appointment to inspire hope. I'm so happy for him. Can you imagine the passion he will have to make this club the place it should be. I'm licking my lips at the thought of the football we'll be playing.

I bet Scott Hogan's got a smile on his face 

• Like 1

Â