Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Delighted.

My second choice to Rogers really, but very very happy.

I really never understood the Henry love in on here. I don’t see why these guys should get the nod over the people that have worked hard and worked their way up just because they are a big name. 

Henry appointment would have ended in one of two ways.  Either he would have been terrible, and got sacked and left us in the shit... Or he’d have worked wonders and pissed off to another slightly bigger/slightly better paying club at the first opportunity. Either way, we’d have been back to square 1 in a season or two.

We don’t need mercenaries, we need a plan.

He gets the next 12 games as a gimme just for not playing Bruceball.  He gets the rest of the season as a gimme just for being a villa fan.

Welcome Dean.

• Like 3

Well .... what can I say .... I knackered myself today standing up for Dean Smith on here (with a number of others), and had gone to bed with a hot cocoa for a well earned rest and to reflect on a long day slaving over a hot VT keyboard.

I was just dropping off to sleep when I got a call to ask me what I thought of our triple appointment .... Triple appointment !!!!!!

Well what can I say .... YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How am I going to sleep now?

Welcome Dean, welcome John, and thank you Jesus!

• Like 4

Meh. Oh well. Welcome, I guess. The good news is John Terry is back and we have a progressive new DOF so hopefully they can push Smith towards good football. He has my support but I cant deny I am very disappointed in yet another same old same old British manager.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

1 minute ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Meh. Oh well. Welcome, I guess. The good news is John Terry is back and we have a progressive new DOF so hopefully they can push Smith towards good football. he has my support but I cant deny I am very disappointed in yet another same old same old British manager.

Have you ever watched one of his teams. Good football you will see... 

• Like 2

There are a few key points here:

• The board have changed the structure of the club, an overseeing director of football will ensure a long term continuity and philosophy for the club rather than the previous approach of ripping everything up and stating from scratch each time a new manager is appointed (this structure may well have put off some of the other potential manger candidates). 
  • Smith plays a great football with a proper 'system' that suits the modern game. We have been crying out for this for a long time on here. 
  • He knows this league inside out. He will have full scouting reports on every one of our opponents and know the strengths and weaknesses of each (including our own squad). This will be key if he wants to hit the ground running. 
  • He is bringing John Terry who brings instant respect from the playing squad and a detailed knowledge of the personalities of our players. This is also key to hit the ground running.  

He might not be a big name but there is a lot to like about this. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As much as everyone says "he doesn't buy players", I get that, but I find it extremely difficult to believe he does not have SOME input or is consulted for opinions etc.

You'd imagine he definetely brought in romaine sawyers and rico henry anyway. A lot of people go on like Brentford are the only club around that have people besides the manager who goes after players. It's done literally everywhere now. I'm actually excited he has come in as a head coach meaning he 100% focuses on the football matters and work in tandem with our sporting director to embed the philosophy going forward. 

Welcome Dean.

I think it will be seen as a broadly positive appointment from most fans, however with a few question marks.  Firstly I hope the Terry situation works. It is not that usual that the assistant is of a higher profile than the manager. I hope he has not been shoe-horned in and DS is happy about this. It is interesting he is down as the head coach and not manager, which highlights the new look structure at the Villa.

He plays broadly attacking football, knows the area and has experience in the championship which are plus points. However his record decent if  not outstanding and it is quantum leap in expectation going from Brentford to Villa. We are still probably the biggest club in the West Midlands in terms of support. Brentford is the 4th biggest in west London. Griffin Park's capacity  could fit into the Holte End with spare space. 

It might sound  a strange thing but I think Smith might be more succesful had we not splurge even more money in the summmer with high profile loans. He might be better working with young hungry types and our under used youth set up. But lets wait and see. 

But now we have to get behind Dean and John and hope Villa can build something progressive and successful. UTV.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

I have kept my opinions of who our manager should be on the low, as all I care about is whoever it is, as long as it works.

I just want Villa to be winning again, and it is good to see a good ol' Villa fan taking the helm. As long as it works out.

It is going to take a little bit of time. The players are going to need to refamiliarise themselves in their natural positions, and need to unlearn hoofball. Once that is out of the way, hopefully we can watch football how it is meant to be played, competitively with the intention of winning.

I am looking forward to seeing how we play come December. Do your thing, Deano.

Encouraged by this appointment. Hope he brings his style of entertaining football with him and gets a decent amount of time to implement it because it might take some time to remove the habits of Bruce ball after 2 years.

• Like 1

Not my first choice... but far from my last, and I'm relieved we've at least not gone down the road of Moyes/McCarthy/Pardew etc.

Think Terry is a good move.

Nice to have a Villa fan in charge. Best of luck Dean.

• Like 3

Â