Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

Is that the point? It is about the calibre of manager that we could attract. Are you suggesting that Ancelotti is not a high calibre manager

Is a very high calibre manager but no point bringing him to us at the moment if he pisses off at the first chance, that’s not what we should want.  No point attracting a manager if you can’t keep him for a while.  Constantly changing managers is never any good for progressing a club, in fact regressive. 

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Lads, what changed? 

Because you're all very critical and angry considering what you expected not long back. 

Almost like you just want to jump at the chance to criticise the manager when you can. 

My point in that post was in response to someone saying we'd finish 16th which was a load of tosh, I said 12th would be the minimum expectation but I also said we'll be expected to push on and progress (i.e. finish higher than 11th). So far we're not doing that. OK the sample size is only 8 games but we're already 5 points down on equivalent games last season, that could get worse in the next game. We're on course to finish on 48 points which is 7 points lower than last season so again a sign of regression.

17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No thanks, Ancelotti pissed off the first chance he got and it’s fairly well known that Rafa still wants a crack at an elite the first chance he gets.  Mourinho was another in that bucket but he didn’t work out.  I’m happy in the Rodgers, Moyes, Smith type of managers that builds the club progressing each year…thanks.

Shame Smith hasn't got the Moyes, Rodgers experience and skill set.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Is a very high calibre manager but no point bringing him to us at the moment if he pisses off at the first chance, that’s not what we should want.  No point attracting a manager if you can’t keep him for a while.  Constantly changing managers is never any good for progressing a club, in fact regressive. 

The discussion was not about bringing Ancelotti to Villa, nobody suggested that. The discussion was about the type of manager Villa could attract. Two of us posted in quick succession that if the likes of Everton could attract a manager like Ancelotti then Villa should be able to attract a manager of that calibre. In your enthusiasm try and contradict everyone that says anything against Dean you are missing the full point of the discussion and going completely off topic 

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

The discussion was not about bringing Ancelotti to Villa, nobody suggested that. The discussion was about the type of manager Villa could attract. Two of us posted in quick succession that if the likes of Everton could attract a manager like Ancelotti then Villa should be able to attract a manager of that calibre. In your enthusiasm try and contradict everyone that says anything against Dean you are missing the full point of the discussion and going completely off topic 

No my point is that it’s great to attract that type of manager but why would you want to and I explained why you wouldn’t want to.  

Rather than taking the piss please realise that a discussion thread means conversations evolve and thus saying managers you can attract then evolves into whether you should.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Chelsea say hi!

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Chelsea say hi!

Oh that club that have spent the money they have!  The majority of successful clubs in our league have had long term managers that have built something…Ferguson, Wenger, Guardiola, Klopp etc…not constantly changing.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

If Everton can attract Ancelotti and Rafa, that level of manager must be within our reach

You would be good with a manager who leaves for the next thing smoking after one season or one whose best years are clearly past him?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yeah, the same Rafa that has won many league titles, many national cups, the UEFA cup and the Champions League. Has also managed Liverpool and Real Madrid. That the guy alright. The discussion was about the calibre of manager we could attract. It is amazing how people can post stupid comments to try and support their narrative without actually thinking through what they are saying.

YES THATS THE POINT ITS ENTIRELY DEPENDENT ON THE RESOURCES AT HAND

Dean Smith is doing a great **** job and will continue to do so.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No my point is that it’s great to attract that type of manager but why would you want to and I explained why you wouldn’t want to.  

Rather than taking the piss please realise that a discussion thread means conversations evolve and thus saying managers you can attract then evolves into whether you should.

That is not the topic being debated. But the club should always be looking for succession to DS. What if he leaves, gets sick, or gets sacked? A proper business will always have succession planning in place for key staff. It is normal business practice

24 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

My point in that post was in response to someone saying we'd finish 16th which was a load of tosh, I said 12th would be the minimum expectation but I also said we'll be expected to push on and progress (i.e. finish higher than 11th). 

So far we're not doing that. OK the sample size is only 8 games but we're already 5 points down on equivalent games last season, that could get worse in the next game. 

We're on course to finish on 48 points which is 7 points lower than last season so again a sign of regression.

But the complaint is we're not consistent so unlikely that it would work out that way surely. 

You said 12th is acceptable. We're 12th.

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I think the point is, we could attract a high calibre manager, an I would trust Purslow with his contacts to do so.

So would you take Wenger or Mourinho instead of Smith? Would Pep do a better job?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Questionable, although I think that's mainly what the debate on here is about. I've never had Smith down as a very reactive manager like a Rodger's

Not sure I agree plus he’s never had the players to do too much reactive changes and he’s trying to build that and this season we’ve had injuries and intls so he's only just starting to be able to do that.  Even against Wolves he’s been criticised for bringing the “less quality” Nakamba and Ramsey on for a jet lagged Luiz and two players who asked to come off.  

Tactically he adapts more so over the last year, out thinking Bielsa with our win, utilised the high line of Liverpool and played to win 7-2, went toe to toe with Tuchel, won at Old Trafford. Yes, everything isn’t perfect but he has the skill set he just needs the experience the likes of Rodgers and Moyes has and he needs a team, the full squad to be able to do things.  A young squad, that’s inconsistent is something he has to fix but I’m confident he will.

Yes he makes mistakes, yes he has flaws but for me he keeps improving and we’ll have more highs in the future and more lows but if we keep progressing I’m fine with that.  I don’t want a big charlie like Ancelotti at Villa because he’s not here to be invested in it…a quick stepping stone until he can get a main job again.  

If you’re getting a Klopp or Guardiola for a substantial period then great let’s do it but we aren’t and Smith hasn’t hit his ceiling yet, keeps progressing the club, he’s only now just starting to get a squad and not just a first XI.  So with all his credit in the bank he deserves time and even then I wouldn’t change for just anybody whether they are a big name charlie or not.  Just because we can attract a big name doesn’t mean we should…I still think the Spurs fans are still gutted they let go of Poch even for Mourinho and are now stuck with 6th choice Nuno.

Â