Dean Smith

Demitri_C

A load of calls for his head on Social Media.

Some " supported " by graphs displaying how many points we are down from last season, along with other clubs. ( Saying we are going backwards etc )

Most the people who posted those, probably never realised Leicester are further behind us in the same table ( re progress from last season ) and only 1 point above us in the current PL table.

Brendan Rodgers out? 🤔

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

I think we all want Dean to do well but I think he gets more patience and understanding (especially from certain posters) just because he is local and brought up a Villa fan.

We lose a game in the manner we did Saturday and any manager will get stick not just Dean Smith. You simply do not throw away like that.

Smith is good-natured but football is a ruthless business if you want to succeed and win things. If posters feel he isn't do enough with this squad the buck will stop with him.

I predicted we'd be on 12 points at this stage at the start of the season, a fairly sensible prediction I think, and we're behind that. He really needs something from the next game.

Now that we've had 2 defeats on the spin I want to see something change, formation for one. Having our wingers back would help but even if it means Watkins wide left or AEG starting I want to see us go to 4 at the back. Cash and Targett being our creative outlets really doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I predicted we'd be on 12 points at this stage at the start of the season, a fairly sensible prediction I think, and we're behind that. He really needs something from the next game.

Now that we've had 2 defeats on the spin I want to see something change, formation for one. Having our wingers back would help but even if it means Watkins wide left or AEG starting I want to see us go to 4 at the back. Cash and Targett being our creative outlets really doesn't make sense.

Fair play, and that's how fine the margins are.

However, if I'm honest, that is the point I was trying to make about certain players in an earlier post. The more you want to improve, the finer those margins are, consistent brain farts won't cut it.

We win that, and were on 13 points, in 7th and VT is a much happier place.

Reckless/careless and naive play from a couple of our players, and all of a sudden we have zero points and are sat in 12th 🤦🏿.

The buck does stop with the manager, but there are certain things you've got to make the SENIOR players accountable for.

Deano couldn't have created that collapse on his own if he tried, IMO.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I think we all want Dean to do well but I think he gets more patience and understanding (especially from certain posters) just because he is local and brought up a Villa fan.

I get what you are saying but I don’t think that any patience is due to being a local lad this season at the moment, it’s because he has massive credit in the bank for what he’s done year after year with us and the fact that prior to the two losses we had won at old trafford, beat Everton and gave a great account against Chelsea along with the injuries and intl issues. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Some " supported " by graphs displaying how many points we are down from last season, along with other clubs. ( Saying we are going backwards etc )

Most the people who posted those, probably never realised Leicester are further behind us in the same table ( re progress from last season ) and only 1 point above us in the current PL table.

Brendan Rodgers out? 🤔

Yeah we had a ridiculously good start last season which most people seem to have forgotten.

A 7 game sample size is way too small to be making those sort of comparisons as anything other than an interesting side note

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Brendan Rodgers out? 🤔

That's stupid for me.

Yes we want to be higher than 12th (13th if Arsenal win) but it's still early days and reasonably tight in the table. I mean win on Saturday and we'd have been 7th for 24 hours.

Think start of December is the point to judge. If we're still 12th after playing all of Southampton, Brighton, Palace in a few weeks then things will start getting pretty tricky for DS I think.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

We lose a game in the manner we did Saturday and any manager will get stick not just Dean Smith. You simply do not throw away like that.

A reasonable fan regardless of club would apportion blame to car crash performances of a few players rather than the manager having much influence in the last 15 minutes

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Brendan Rodgers out? 🤔

People are idiots.

It’s not just our fans it’s just football fans in general. My mate supports Leeds and said many fans are shouting Bielsa out after the poor start to the season.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

People are entitled to their opinions without fellow fans having to name call them.

I said people, Which includes me. So don’t flatter yourself. 

Out of interest do you think comparing the first 8 games of last season with this season and coming to the conclusion we are going backwards is a rational argument to sack him?  I stand by thinking whoever said that is an idiot. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I said people, Which includes me. So don’t flatter yourself. 

Out of interest do you think comparing the first 8 games of last season with this season and coming to the conclusion we are going backwards is a rational argument to sack him?  I stand by thinking whoever said that is an idiot. 

I'm not even saying we should sack him.

I would give him at least till May to turn this around. I'm not a fan of sacking managers mid season. I think it's disruptive to players.

If we don't see a clear system and style of play at the end of the season and we are hovering around 12th-14th I would probably be in favor of sacking him, yes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

I'm not even saying we should sack him.

I would give him at least till May to turn this around. I'm not a fan of sacking managers mid season. I think it's disruptive to players.

If we don't see a clear system and style of play at the end of the season and we are hovering around 12th-14th I would probably be in favor of sacking him, yes.

So would I to be honest.  It would probably indicate he has taken us as far as he can.

But my original comment was in response to JV’s posts about people on social media wanting him gone now. I don’t agree with this one bit.  Sounds like you don’t either. 

People focusing on the Wolves loss need to look at the Tottenham loss too. They were poor, had 1 player on fire, who we failed to control at any point in the game, an lets not go back to the Watford game, that was worst than the Wolves game, they are rubbish, like we wasn't even ready, that's down to Smith.

I have always said, we have always been a bit nice, an that definitely comes from the manager. Before improving the system, he needs to get more ruthless himself, an make the team tougher. I've actually met him on numerous occasions through business, I have always felt this way about him.

Edited by foreveryoung

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

So would I to be honest.  It would probably indicate he has taken us as far as he can.

But my original comment was in response to JV’s posts about people on social media wanting him gone now. I don’t agree with this one bit.  Sounds like you don’t either. 

I don't agree with those opinions either but at the same time I think fans are entitled to their opinion without having to be ridiculed.

Smith is just an employer if some fans feel that is the right thing for the club I'm not going to judge.

Had they been throwing out personal insults and such that would be a different story.

Luckily NSWE are very sensible people and they won't act or make panicky decisions.

I do firmly believe Dean have to move away from this formation though. This isn't Dean. He was always a 4-3-3 man. That's where we've seen his best football.

He is doing this to try and force Ings and Watkins into the same team and I don't think it will work out well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I do firmly believe Dean have to move away from this formation though. This isn't Dean. He was always a 4-3-3 man. That's where we've seen his best football.

He is doing this to try and force Ings and Watkins into the same team and I don't think it will work out well

I agree with this in the most part 

39 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah we had a ridiculously good start last season which most people seem to have forgotten.

A 7 game sample size is way too small to be making those sort of comparisons as anything other than an interesting side note

It’s an 8 game sample size but if you compare like for like games we’re still 5 points down on last season. I’d hate that to go to 8 if we suffer yet another defeat on Friday.

32 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't agree with those opinions either but at the same time I think fans are entitled to their opinion without having to be ridiculed.

Smith is just an employer if some fans feel that is the right thing for the club I'm not going to judge.

Had they been throwing out personal insults and such that would be a different story.

Luckily NSWE are very sensible people and they won't act or make panicky decisions.

He is doing this to try and force Ings and Watkins into the same team and I don't think it will work out well.

Fair enough. I still think they’re idiots though 😂 

I find myself agreeing with your posts far too much this morning. I think I need to lie down ;)

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

It’s an 8 game sample size but if you compare like for like games we’re still 5 points down on last season. I’d hate that to go to 8 if we suffer yet another defeat on Friday.

But everyone knew this season that it would take time to adjust to life without Jack. We've had to pretty much develop a new system to adapt, it was always going to produce a few crap performances.

So comparing last season to a period this season when we were obviously going to struggle is pointless.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I'd say your right to an extent but if the players who are coming on are not doing all they can then what can a coach do.

Let's face it we've been through this many a time before where our players look below there opponent. Coming on and playing like they did doesn't dissolve those players from blame and they all from Head Coach down to the players collectively have to say "hold on we massively dropped the ball here and we got it way to wrong"

Our squad is capable of much we know that, yet when they start cocking up, they cock up big and make themselves look like the leagues amateurs.

Dropping 3 goals in 15 minutes makes me want to scream at them, they did wonderfully till the first then Wolves just rallied and rallied. If there was an example of Shock and awe, that wolves match was it, it happened all in 15 minutes.

One thing I will say against Smith is I know he wants to keep on cracking for more goals and to go and win the match. I mean come on really, if it means we drop all 3 points and let 3 goals when we've score 2 goals and lose in that 15 min shit show, then use common sense. I'm afraid smarter brains must prevail and its obvious go protect the points and change it to suit us. 

I'm sure if Smith had of pulled it off with his substitutes we would not be all here tearing the team and the staff to bits, we'd be singing his praise.

We just won't ever get to Europe if Smith doesn't start behaving smarter when we're in a winning position or make a smarter choice regardless of his favorites. I don't think Axel and Young should be on the pitch, but they will be put on again and somewhere cost us again. I think if we're winning and comfortable then then defence all of a sudden starts being harassed, add extra security to the defence, don't go chasing more goals. I admire the way he chases games down win, lose or draw but for a club that's still ticking on and trying to be better sometimes a game we're winning to then keep going and going to put a game out of sight isn't always the best course of action.

Pressure, that last 15 mins where did all the pressure go, its like we just changed our tune and stopped running at Wolves. We just became way to passive familiar sight because we become relaxed after scoring, sit off then become so passive that it effects out chasing down of the ball. For eighty mins our persistent movement of multiple players crowding Wolves was lovely then one goal went in, another and then the winner and not once did our lads try to change there tune in a 15 minute gap.

everyone will have their own opinions Dave and those opinions will include direct reasons why we conceded 3 goals in 15 minutes to a team, who have only scored 5 prior to that game.....or opinions on why we feel we are capable of this.

I don't think we have enough gifted defenders in the squad, in terms of balance....naturals who have a nose for it, not players deployed to do it.....I think we have a culture, where we think we can out score the opposition, great when its working, but not so great when its not.

I think, what happened on Saturday, was more of a mentality thing, than poor substitutions, we were just floundering in defence and their sheer numbers undone us, not for the first time.

Lets be clear here, we were looking shaky before the 80th minute, Mings was miskicking unchallenged and we sent out a message that our composure was suspect, just like a shark smelling blood, Coady seized on the moment and threw everyone at it and we folded.

I don't blame Dean Smith for that....but I do think he is responsible for the mentality in general and I do think he is responsible for not having ( in my view) enough naturally gifted players with defensive nous, in the squad.

Its just my observation, but I think Thomas Frank has tweaked Brentford a tad away from all out attack, to having defensive nous, hence their better fist of games so far, they are more durable than they was previously.

Dean plays a delightful brand of football, but he must find players he can rely on, to see games out.....we can't keep expecting to out shoot teams, without a response back.

What was the old saying? " the time to get your tackles in, is just after you have scored".......they might need reminding of that old chesnut.

That soft under belly, still rears its ugly head at times.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But everyone knew this season that it would take time to adjust to life without Jack. We've had to pretty much develop a new system to adapt, it was always going to produce a few crap performances.

So comparing last season to a period this season when we were obviously going to struggle is pointless.

Smith said there will be no need for transition period. We then lost to crappy Watford. Bailey being out is his only defence maybe. But then maybe your heading again to a one man team.

• Like 1

Â