Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I love Smith but this change to two out and out strikers all of a sudden seams so desperate. Ings is brilliant and Watkins as well but together they just don’t work. He’ll have to cut his losses.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CVByrne said:

We have a good record of holding on for victory based on last season.

Sometimes games like this happen. Yes the players lost concentration but at the same time it's a bit of a freak event. We were much the better team for 80 mins. 

Poor to throw the game away but it was the players errors nothing to do with how the the was set up. Tactics worked, we were 2 0 up and could have been more. 

Can't see how we can criticise Dean for this 

I am not blaming Dean for this collapse either, but lets get something straight here.

Dean or any other manager is responsible for the mental attitude of the team....He is the motivator and motivating factor.....He sets the tone and the culture of the team.

He himself has admitted " The team mirrors the manager" and below you can see why.

You can point to Shankly, clough, Saunders, Revie to name a few.....they set the standards to play to.....

They are responsible for the hunger and will to win in a team....that's what makes Leaders.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

Just now, TRO said:

I am not blaming Dean for this collapse either, but lets get something straight here.

Dean or any other manager is responsible for the mental attitude of the team....He is the motivator and motivating factor.....He sets the tone and the culture of the team.

He himself has admitted " The team mirrors the manager" and below you can see why.

You can point to Shankly, clough, Saunders, Revie to name a few.....they set the standards to play to.....

They are responsible for the hunger and will to win in a team....that what makes Leaders.

Look at Chelsea after tuchel arrived. Totally different mentality. You can't say it isn't true. 

A team mirror it's manager. 

• Like 2

Smith is one problem I see in how and when he uses his substitutes but then the players who switch off so easy when it was and should of been a clear win are another problem. 

As people have mentioned Smiths use of subs gave Wolves the game bu then Smith is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't in that situation. What does drive me absolutely bonkers is those who came on not one of them affected the game in a positive way and I do hope it's not a sign of old  problems creeping back in. Point blank those players should  be playing their hearts out, not coming on and giving half a heart. 

The lack of concentration at this level is totally unforgiving and when our player play a stinker like that for 15 mins, it's unforgivable and they need telling big time. If I were Smith those players would be drilled extra hard now, I'd run them into the ground for there stupidness. Something isnt right for a team to play so well for 80 mins only to then go throw a lead away and go as far as slow a game but I wouldn't be so quick to say its only Smith. I think it has alot to do with the players losing that one, they failed Smith and yes he tried to change a game but what can a manager do when the players he brings on can't provide the quality to affect the game in a positive way.

I think we're coming to a situation where the money we have left must be spent in January to bring in reinforcements to sort out these problems. A couple of excellent players and we're back on track, I guess it's one advantage we have on most clubs is they spent there lot in the sunmer and we didn't.

There are a couple of players I am not confident in so far and they are Young and Tuanzebe, both have so far cocked up enough times to call for different solutions if we have to resort to them. Now sure they have experience but I'm honestly not seeing that experience at the moment and Smith has to come to his senses and if need be drop the both of them and change things up.

To many lapses in concentration in our back line, I'd of expected that in our season returning but now the defence is seeing less of the ball it shouldn't be happening this much. I noticed lapses from alot especially giving the ball away in midfield after we had just relieved Wolves, its not good. Minds were not focused, and marking was rough all while pressing became none existent in second half.

It really isn't reactionary. 

The manager sets the mentality. And today we genuinely looked like the Villa from 19/20. 

It's absolutely inexcusable losing the way we did. 

This is regression not progression. 

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

We replaced Grealish with 3 players, 2 of them, for various reasons have not been regular starters for us. Bailey still hasn't started a game for us. 

It was never going to click instantly. I've said it from the start, I expect us to click and be stronger 2nd half of the season. 

• Like 2

Every time I try to think of another realistic manager option to replace Smith, I can’t think of anyone. Sacking him would be insane unless, as others have said, we are in real trouble this season. To be honest, if we are anywhere near the bottom end of the league later in the season he will be gone. This is a squad that should be comfortably mid-table with potential to challenge for Top 8 if it can find its form.

But, we desperately need Bailey fit and available. We also need more strength in depth in midfield, unless Sanson can be that player who can get hold of the ball and control games the way we needed someone to when Douglas Luiz went off yesterday.

This is a key season for Smith. Yes we’ve lost Grealish, but we have a number of players that would get in to quite a few top half PL teams, including a GK that would get in to most CL teams. We have to stop performances like the first half against Watford, and the last 15 minutes against Wolves, otherwise this season will be average at best.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TRO said:

They are responsible for the hunger and will to win in a team....that what makes Leaders.

Of course.

The manager does all the prep - picks the team the formation , looks at the problems the opposition may create .

If his job was just to toss 11 players on the pitch he wouldn't be so highly paid. We could get anyone to do that.

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

We were 2 0 up with 10 mins left with the 3 CBs. Errors are what let the game slip and the player have to be accountable for that. 

Rightly or wrongly the head coach is responsible for results. If poor performance s and results persist he will get the sack.

The coach - coaches and organises the players to limit mistakes to the abolosute minimunuim. One of the things they will have worked is closing out a game.

As the organiser, motivator, tactician, - the head coach is accountable. Not as a one off - but if it keeps happening the finger will point squarely at the head coach.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

We replaced Grealish with 3 players, 2 of them, for various reasons have not been regular starters for us. Bailey still hasn't started a game for us. 

It was never going to click instantly. I've said it from the start, I expect us to click and be stronger 2nd half of the season. 

Just because you expect us to be stronger in the 2nd half of the season doesn't mean that will be OK. 

You're using excuses yet again to defend Smith, may I remind you that 2 of the signings we replaced Grealish with both started yesterday.

Bailey is injured and a loss but you make it sound like we're the only one with injuries. Maybe you forget that we played Everton and they were missing Pickford, Coleman, Calvert Lewin and Richarlison. Man U had Shaw and Maguire go off injured during the game against them. Wolves had no Trincao yesterday and Jimenez came on after 88 minutes yet they still beat us. Neto is also a long term injury, another player who would start for them. 

Bailey is a loss, but other than him who else has really been missing regularly? Traore was in a number of matchday squads and he never picked him because he wanted to stick with the 5-3-2. Trezeguet is a long term injury but would be nowhere near the team. Sanson is another but you can't say that's impacted us because he's barely been fit since he arrived and he made the bench yesterday and Smith made the wrong decision to bring on his favourite Ramsey over him. 

We had a lot of players out in the early games which did disrupt us but that can't be an excuse now. I think we all want Bailey back but him missing was not the reason we didn't win yesterday. 

Yesterday was not about injuries, it was about a manager who made the wrong decisions yet again and cost us the game. 

2 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

People act like variance isn't a thing. You can put the best players on the pitch and lose the game because you're unlucky. You can pick a team that doesn't work together but still win if you get lucky. Focusing on specific games doesn't help too much because there's too much luck involved - even the best teams with the best players and best managers don't win every game.

We're still relatively early in the season, and ultimately Dean will be judged on his final league position. Unless we end up in serious danger of relegation, Dean's earned the right to stay until the end of the season - at which point the table won't lie.

Not to say Dean shouldn't take any criticism but it's super weird how when we beat United people thought Dean was the messiah and when we lose a game like this people think he should go in the bin. Neither is true.

Don’t let the United win paper over the cracks - they had 28 shots in that game and missed a pen - it’s not like we played then off the park and hammered them as we did with Liverpool last year - the pressure will be on smith to get results in the 3 games before the next break - the fact edens was here to witness this farcical collapse will not do smith any favours - there was a lot of anger at full time . 

• Like 2

The issue is not is scoring goals, it’s the inability to control the game with possession. Mings and Konsa were tremendous last season.  

Having three at the back is the problem, we are yet to see if Sanson is the player to help us manage possession better.

Mentally we crashed in the last 15 minutes which was reminiscent of the old Villa pre Dean Smith.

As I said if we finish mid table, it’s not going to be look good for Dean Smith and our squad. Martinez would be gone as well as a few others.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Don’t let the United win paper over the cracks - they had 28 shots in that game and missed a pen - it’s not like we played then off the park and hammered them as we did with Liverpool last year - the pressure will be on smith to get results in the 3 games before the next break - the fact edens was here to witness this farcical collapse will not do smith any favours - there was a lot of anger at full time . 

I thought the overreaction after the United game was pretty cringeworthy tbh (although of course I understand the joy at beating United, I just don't think we should have read too much into it). But I think the same now.

Everything you're saying about the United game works in reverse here too. We got lucky at United and we got unlucky here.

Edited by Panto_Villan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The funny thing is we're conceding more goals playing a back 5 and our clueless manager continues to play this formation. 

Tuanzebe was such a pointless signing and needs to be dropped and go to a back four. Why sign a 5th choice United CB who hasn't progressed since we had him in the Championship, players like Botman were being linked to our neighbours Wolves and we were bringing back a player who played for us when we were shite. 

I'm now of the belief that Targett needs to be upgraded as last season was clearly a one-off. Wijndal is still at AZ and would be an upgrade.

I still feel we massively missed a trick not bringing in a more combative midfielder this summer too. Our midfield is pitifully weak when it's on the backfoot.

Â