Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

What sort of recognition are you referring to?

Because I've seen clips from Talksport recently and they are praising him for the job he has done. So he is certainly starting to get it.

He just needs to keep progressing.

What about you though? Do you think he deserves praise for the progress made under his leadership? 

just watched a talkshite clip where even danny murphy gave us some credit for saturday and how we had no fear of playing at old trafford whatsoever. he turned it into a dig at united in the end, but love how fearless deano's made us and it's really bringing the best out of some players who (IMO) didn't quite perform to their full potential last season i.e. luiz and ramsey

10 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Smith is a good manager, Potter is also a good manager.

It’s that simple.

I made comment earlier today, that it reminds me of people being over defensive of Jack Grealish. They then naturally thought they had to put down every other English player they felt was keeping him out of the side, to big him up. As if both scenarios can't be true.

So it's almost as if people see, bigging up another English manager, as a slight, or threat,  on Dean ( Mind you, for some, it probably is ).

On another note, I think people ( Myself included) have probably been a bit guilty of not rating Dean as much, due to our progress being relatively slow and stable, and subconsciously hitting panic buttons when we see perceived " lesser clubs " shoot up trees with less investment etc.

I've come to realise that alot of that is sometimes only temporary, then again, there are many variables around each scenario we could debate forever. ( Transfer funds, stability and so on ).

Cream eventually rises to the top and all that.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Brighton under Potter - 82 points

Brighton under Hughton - 76 points

They play pretty football I guess though.

Mate if i'm honest, I think this is a bit one dimensional, to suit our narrative.

Someone could easily turn round and say

" Brentford under Smith - Mid Table and playoff losers "

" Brentford under Frank - Playoff finalist and Premier League promotion "

But that wouldn't be painting a fair picture.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate if i'm honest, I think this is a bit one dimensional, to suit our narrative.

Someone could easily turn round and say

" Brentford under Smith - Mid Table and playoff losers "

" Brentford under Frank - Playoff finalist and Premier League promotion "

But that wouldn't be painting a fair picture.

I guess, if you were trying to argue that one was better than the other. I'm just saying not much has changed about the club bar the style of football for all intents and purposes. They still finish 15th/16th every season. But apparently he's working wonders over there...I don't know I'm failing to see it.

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

On another note, I think people ( Myself included) have probably been a bit guilty of not rating Dean as much, due to our progress being relatively slow and stable, and subconsciously hitting panic buttons when we see perceived " lesser clubs " shoot up trees with less investment etc.

Sustainable yea, but in terms of ‘slow’ it’s worth remembering that our improvement under Smith has been more/faster than any other team in the top two divisions.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Sustainable yea, but in terms of ‘slow’ it’s worth remembering that our improvement under Smith has been more/faster than any other team in the top two divisions.

" Slow " was probably the wrong choice of word, I probably more meant " steady ".

Notable and consistent, but not spectacular, if that makes any sense.

Not shock and awe like a Sheffield United or Wolves on their first time back, for example.

We see how those have turned out as well.

• Like 1

On 28/09/2021 at 03:40, Keyblade said:

Brighton under Potter - 82 points

Brighton under Hughton - 76 points

They play pretty football I guess though.

I get your point and I agree that DS fares favourably against Potter, but I think it does Potter a bit of a disservice. They were a decent/in form striker away from much bigger numbers last year. Their xG was huge.

The thing I like about Smith is the way that he approaches the job means we're never really going to take a significant backward step while he's here. It's possible he'll lose his job if we invest a load of money and don't make enough progress, but if that happens we'll have a good squad and a well-run club that will make the job of the next manager much easier.

That's not something you can say about all managers. Though I enjoyed our success under MON he left the club a smoking wreck when he left, whereas this new period of success under Smith doesn't feel like a gamble in the same way. It feels like we've found a something sustainable here.

Much of that is due to the owners too (i.e. all the investment in youth) but the manager clearly has to be a big part of that process too, and Smith seems to be the glue holding it all together.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tomav84 said:

just watched a talkshite clip where even danny murphy gave us some credit for saturday and how we had no fear of playing at old trafford whatsoever. he turned it into a dig at united in the end, but love how fearless deano's made us and it's really bringing the best out of some players who (IMO) didn't quite perform to their full potential last season i.e. luiz and ramsey

I just watched the highlights again on AVTV and I echo your point...

The team walked out at Old Trafford 'heads high' and looking confident. Alex Ferguson used to teach a similar way, it is a confidence game, believe in yourself and those around you. Aston Villa seem to have that now.

Since 'lockdown' and 'project restart' Smith has done a fantastic job.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

The team walked out at Old Trafford 'heads high' and looking confident. Alex Ferguson used to teach a similar way, it is a confidence game, believe in yourself and those around you. Aston Villa seem to have that now.

Definitely. My favourite example of that was the 1996 League Cup Final against Leeds. When the two teams came out on the pitch before the kickoff, the Leeds players all looked nervous and quiet. They kept looking over at the Villa lads who were bouncing around, laughing and looking raring to go. I remember thinking that was like a goal start already, and so it transpired. 

• Like 4

Â