Dean Smith

Demitri_C

29 minutes ago, KMitch said:

So...  You're saying Deano needs to get us to Europe this season or be sacked, with a squad that has cost a lot less to build and are on significantly less wages than Everton, who couldn't even do that last season when they had a world class manager?

There is absolutely no chance, he gets sacked this season. We'd have to be in serious relegation trouble come the end of the year for it to even be considered. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

We've spent a fortune building Dean Smith's squad. We've hired two sought after coaches for his backroom. 

The idea that we'll rip that up and start again if we don't shoot up the table this month is laughable. 

Yeah - it's got Ellis sacking Tony Barton for finishing 10th all over it !!!!!.

Only way it could be justified is if a massively better coach takes over - but IMO any replacement wouldn't be a proven coach but another who we hope grows into the role.

There's a lot of sorting out to do - whoever the head coach is.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yeah - it's got Ellis sacking Tony Barton for finishing 10th all over it !!!!!.

Only way it could be justified is if a massively better coach takes over - but IMO any replacement wouldn't be a proven coach but another who we hope grows into the role.

There's a lot of sorting out to do - whoever the head coach is.

Manager like Potter and you wouldn't have to rip anything up or start over.

Leicester didn't really start over when they appointed Rodgers either. He just improved on what the previous manager was doing. But how the club was run stayed exactly the same and haven't changed till this day.

If the club were to sack the manager it would be a plan behind it. They would never bring in a Dyche who would require completely different profile of players.

Regardless Smith ain't going unless he massively underperforms this season which would be 15th-17th. That article is complete horse s*** to generate clicks.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Manager like Potter and you wouldn't have to rip anything up or start over.

Leicester didn't really start over when they appointed Rodgers either. He just improved on what the previous manager was doing. But how the club was run stayed exactly the same and haven't changed till this day.

If the club were to sack the manager it would be a plan behind it. They would never bring in a Dyche who would require completely different profile of players.

Regardless Smith ain't going unless he massively underperforms this season which would be 15th-17th. That article is complete horse s*** to generate clicks.

Yeh, exactly. The plan is clear, develop the youth, play a certain way, spend big on a couple of players each year to improve the team. Sell a player occasionally for a big profit to balance the books. Well, at least that's what Leicester do and it works. 

If we get rid of Smith, they will bring in another progressive manager rather than a Bruce, Allardyce type. It's not like days gone where we'd sack a manager and we'd have to start again, from the youth team set up, the backroom staff, the scouts etc. If Smith goes, who else leaves... Shakespeare? Maybe Cutler? That isn't a problem. Most managers will want at least two coaches of their own anyway. 

If Smith leaves, I'd trust the board to get it right. 

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

But we've built that system so that we can remove the head coach with less disruption. Smith is the head coach and if we aren't performing, I think the board will pull the trigger and parachute someone in to the current set up. Where that bar is set, is anyones guess. You could be right, it could be serious relegation trouble but I have a feeling the bar wont be set quite that low.

Personally, I hope Smith continues for a few more years yet, but let's not pretend that our owners wont have ambitions that match their investment. Smith is just a cog in a massively expensive wheel to them. 

I think there is a bar but I think its a lot lower than some people on here expect or wish for. For example if we finish similar to last season I don't think will be a change

Only way he goes in the next 12 months is if we are in a relegation battle or if we go on a stinker of a run and looking hopeless

Next season i think might be when a change is made but again it depends on results

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think the owners are looking for a return on their huge investment.

You look at Rafa at Everton for example.

Inherited a mediocre squad, signed a few players on freebies and already sitting 4th in the table.

Dean Smith has had 3 seasons.. 100's of millions to spend and has to get a  European place sealed this season.

Deano does need to start cracking the whip before the owners do.

We were sitting second this time last year after 4 wins on the bounce (ironically just below Everton, who also finished just 1 place above us at the end of the season).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

So...  You're saying Deano needs to get us to Europe this season or be sacked, with a squad that has cost a lot less to build and are on significantly less wages than Everton, who couldn't even do that last season when they had a world class manager?

I was talking about Everton under their new manager - not their old one.

But anyway, I'm not saying for Deano to be "be sacked".

I am highlighting the expectations that the owners are wanting to see happen sooner rather than later on their investment in the squad and the target for this season.

If they feel that suddenly after say a huge loss of results that "they might start considering the inevitable"

I think we need to get results on the board within the coming games as they are all going to be difficult.

58 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

But we've built that system so that we can remove the head coach with less disruption. Smith is the head coach and if we aren't performing, I think the board will pull the trigger and parachute someone in to the current set up. Where that bar is set, is anyones guess. You could be right, it could be serious relegation trouble but I have a feeling the bar wont be set quite that low.

Personally, I hope Smith continues for a few more years yet, but let's not pretend that our owners wont have ambitions that match their investment. Smith is just a cog in a massively expensive wheel to them. 

We have made it easier but we're not going to spend £100 million on players and not give Smith the chance to work with them. We're not going to restructure our coaching set up and not give it an opportunity to work.

We're not that club.

9 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I was talking about Everton under their new manager - not their old one.

But anyway, I'm not saying for Deano to be "be sacked".

I am highlighting the expectations that the owners are wanting to see happen sooner rather than later on their investment in the squad and the target for this season.

If they feel that suddenly after say a huge loss of results that "they might start considering the inevitable"

I think we need to get results on the board within the coming games as they are all going to be difficult.

When their last investments are actually fit enough or in the country enough to play in the same team together then they/you might have point. 

We've not even played close to our first team yet. Not even close.

Hah.. return on investment.... 

Anyway the owners have more money now than they did in June, so maybe they also need to redefine the word investment. 

• Like 2

I see us at the moment as taking one step back to take two steps forward, we lose our best player, we clean out some dross, we reset and reconfigure. Tough to start as well as last year because of this, throw everything's gone wrong that can go wrong, bent referees and we have 4 points instead of a realistic 8 or an optimistic 9.

All we can hope for is to progress again, top 6 is a target but no where near guaranteed but we gave away a good 12 points last year so hopefully we will be fighting for 6th.

Deano will be going nowhere and I think we will do the opposite to last year and once up to speed finish like a train.

Not just fingers crossed, everything crossed.

See the source image

• Like 4

I feel really optimistic at the moment. Just seems like we have a squad where Smith can spring a surprise every week, which makes such a big change from before when we basically knew it would be Targett, Grealish and Watkins linking up down the left most of the game.

Reminds me more of our promotion season, where Smith did juggle things a lot more, and made some interesting calls (not all of which worked, but at least it was unpredictable).

My sense is we just need one of our star players to really find some form at some point - probably one of Ings, Bailey or Buendia. Or potentially even someone like Ramsey. Then solid performances from McGinn, Watkins, etc around that and we could start turning a few teams over properly. Hopefully there’s a big win coming up in the next month or so that will galvanise things.

But my expectation is still that Smith will keep experimenting and dropping points, and then we’ll find some serious form I the second half of the season.

• Like 2

Â