Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

It seems some posters are using Grealish leaving as an excuse for us not doing so well this season! This is clearly not what our board think and I totally agree.
We finished eleventh last season despite Grealish missing a third of our games. In Bailey, Ings and Buendia we have added three very expensive and talented attackers. We have a very settled defence which should be getting better and better. Although most of us think the midfield is not good enough, it is the same one we had last year. We also have some youngsters who are now good enough to at least be a part of the squad plus Sanson who is effectively a new player. All in all we are in a better overall position.

It is only right that the board expects us to do better. There should be no excuses. Dean must get it right and deliver the goods. That means getting to at least 60 points. Too many games like last week in our first 10 matches will spell the end I am sure. It starts tomorrow. Get it right in front of the fans and launch the season in style.

We hardly got any points when Grealish didn't play though. Good as the new players are they probably aren't Jacks level.

I think we will struggle esp at first.

11th would be some achievement in my book.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

When we just had Terry and O,Kelly we escaped relegation by a whisper.

Bring in Shakespeare and we get 11th.

I know there are other factors - but was the question asked what are they doing ?

True. It certainly feels like Shakespeare had a significant impact last season.

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

We hardly got any points when Grealish didn't play though. Good as the new players are they probably aren't Jacks level.

I think we will struggle esp at first.

11th would be some achievement in my book.

I'd bite your hand off at 11th if offered now. So would Dean I imagine. Just not sure if that's enough for him to keep his job.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

It seems some posters are using Grealish leaving as an excuse for us not doing so well this season! This is clearly not what our board think and I totally agree.
We finished eleventh last season despite Grealish missing a third of our games. In Bailey, Ings and Buendia we have added three very expensive and talented attackers. We have a very settled defence which should be getting better and better. Although most of us think the midfield is not good enough, it is the same one we had last year. We also have some youngsters who are now good enough to at least be a part of the squad plus Sanson who is effectively a new player. All in all we are in a better overall position.

It is only right that the board expects us to do better. There should be no excuses. Dean must get it right and deliver the goods. That means getting to at least 60 points. Too many games like last week in our first 10 matches will spell the end I am sure. It starts tomorrow. Get it right in front of the fans and launch the season in style.

What are you basing that on?

22 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Some of it is beyond his control I admit. He isn't responsible for some of our players getting to the late stage of the euros (although maybe we could have forseen it?) or Grealish's disgusting betrayal.

It isn't a betrayal at all. He's joined a far better team to win medals. We can't be wholly reliant on one player again. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

I would take those sort of things with a pinch of salt.

Why do you say that? Our management are fairly guarded with their communication. They would never give the supporters a stick to beat them with. I suspect it was thrown out as a challenge to Dean by Purslow. The fact that Dean then repeated it was an acceptance by him that he was up to the challenge.

Just now, M_Afro said:

Why do you say that? Our management are fairly guarded with their communication. They would never give the supporters a stick to beat them with. I suspect it was thrown out as a challenge to Dean by Purslow. The fact that Dean then repeated it was an acceptance by him that he was up to the challenge.

They don’t need to give us sticks, we bring our own.

We have jumped to massive conclusions after one defeat, let’s just see how the next few weeks pan out maybe?

4 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

They don’t need to give us sticks, we bring our own.

We have jumped to massive conclusions after one defeat, let’s just see how the next few weeks pan out maybe?

This doesn’t have anything to do with a fairly awful performance against Watford. This is about stated expectation for the whole season. I think it’s fair to expect us to do better than last season for the reasons I stated. Clearly Purslow agrees and Dean is up for the challenge.

I have my doubts in Dean but I really want him to succeed. If he doesn’t then I am sure he will be gone. I don’t want that. I love having someone who gets our club at the helm. Nobody else will ever have the same love for the club that he does but he must also deliver. I really hope he does.

59 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I'd bite your hand off at 11th if offered now. So would Dean I imagine. Just not sure if that's enough for him to keep his job.

So Dean would bite our hands off now for a season that could possibly get him sacked. I’m struggling with the logic there, sorry. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Some of it is beyond his control I admit. He isn't responsible for some of our players getting to the late stage of the euros (although maybe we could have forseen it?) or Grealish's disgusting betrayal.

We booked too many low level opponents that our players barely broke sweat to play. We had 4 matches, 3 against pretty poor Championship sides and 1 that would have been against a good level of opponent to show where we were which ended up being against a very poor opponent. Booking a foreign team when it was always going to be risky whether they could play or not wasn't very clever. It's not like covid isn't a problem we couldn't have forseen.

In those games the lineups we put out were strange at best. The young players that we then either sent on loan, benched or worse threw back to the U23s...what was the point of that?

It did take a shocking amount of time to get Bailey into the country. What was he doing!?

Injuries are more often than not a consequence of poor preparation so yes, I'd say he's partly responsible for the situation with Watkins and Traore.

Doesn't it bother you even slightly that we don't seem remotely prepared for the season?

It bothers me slightly, but again, DS does not arrange friendlies. DS does not undertake HR or deal with player liaison. He is not responsible for arranging flights,  arranging player relocation,  etc etc. You are also making an assumption regarding the injuries result from poor physical preparation, when they could be the result of a whole host of other reasons.

I think some people assume that because he's our head coach DS is involved in every aspect of the club. That may have been more the case in the past when things were less professional,  but DS is a Head Coach, who works with a DoF, and a host of behind the scenes staff who Dean has no control over hiring/firing, I think it's pretty harsh to throw shade at DS for what is a collaborative effort. 

• Like 2

We'll have a much better idea of where we're at tomorrow I think. The Watford game was a shock to the system with the home advantage clear for all to see and I'd argue all 3 of the goals were unfortunate/easily avoidable.

10 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

We do wait. Patience is different from waiting. One is something exercised through choice, the other is something we suffer mostly through blind faith.

Tick follows tock follows tick.....

Guinness® Adverts - The Surfer | Guinness® | Guinness®

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

This doesn’t have anything to do with a fairly awful performance against Watford. This is about stated expectation for the whole season. I think it’s fair to expect us to do better than last season for the reasons I stated. Clearly Purslow agrees and Dean is up for the challenge.

I have my doubts in Dean but I really want him to succeed. If he doesn’t then I am sure he will be gone. I don’t want that. I love having someone who gets our club at the helm. Nobody else will ever have the same love for the club that he does but he must also deliver. I really hope he does.

It clearly does have something to do with last weeks performance, you’re already talking about our finishing position with doubt after one game. I’ve got faith in Dean getting us an improvement on last season.

Edited by Woody1000
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

It clearly does have something to do with last weeks performance, you’re already talking about our finishing position with doubt after one game. I’ve got faith in Dean getting us an improvement on last season.

Great. I hope you’re right. 

16 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

It bothers me slightly, but again, DS does not arrange friendlies. DS does not undertake HR or deal with player liaison. He is not responsible for arranging flights,  arranging player relocation,  etc etc. You are also making an assumption regarding the injuries result from poor physical preparation, when they could be the result of a whole host of other reasons.

I think some people assume that because he's our head coach DS is involved in every aspect of the club. That may have been more the case in the past when things were less professional,  but DS is a Head Coach, who works with a DoF, and a host of behind the scenes staff who Dean has no control over hiring/firing, I think it's pretty harsh to throw shade at DS for what is a collaborative effort. 

I think he does have some control over hiring/firing. I doubt a player would be brought in against his wishes.

Rightly or wrongly the head coach is accountable for results. 

Â