Dean Smith

Demitri_C

11 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Funny reading the Everton forum match thread. Ancelotti out calls and what not. 

Yet on here a few is on Smith that he's not a big name manager and bla bla signing players bla bla.

Yet seems Deano got us 3 points yesterday against the managerial giant of Italy. Not bad for an English manager. 😁

Love Deano me. Should get his ginger face tattoed on my bicep.

This could be the first time in his managerial career his team doesn’t finish in the top 6. In some ways probably his biggest ever challenge.

42 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yet on here a few is on Smith that he's not a big name manager and bla bla signing players bla bla.

Yet seems Deano got us 3 points yesterday against the managerial giant of Italy. Not bad for an English manager. 😁

Funny was just reading Everton GOT forum and was like being on here after we don't win

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Funny was just reading Everton GOT forum and was like being on here after we don't win

For some fans losing is just too painful I suppose.

10 hours ago, Tumblerseven said:

So my first thought of attacking my criticism was this idea. Then i felt it was kinda simplistic or lazy because you can demolish it very easy.

Our most energetic player in midfield is mcginn and i think everyone agree with that.

So If we using presure or attack as defence taking of Barkley and bringing Nakamba and telling John go wild a little higher where Barkley operated quickly demolishes this idea in my opinion. And in attack we still strong  Mcginn has a good pass and creativity and can shoot.

I'm not sure I agree that McGinn is our most energetic option, Barkley also covered the most ground on the pitch last night. 

Rather than bring on a purely defensive midfielder, we introduced Ramsey, went a little more narrow and played with a midfield 4 that are all capable of covering ground and picking a pass. Perfect option to me and restricted Everton to virtually nothing in the last 10 minutes. In fact we probably had the best chance when McGinn broke

Great win no doubt we all have to admit it, an some great football played. But I'll wait to crack open the champagne after we play Man United. Yes they are a better team and we know what is expected, but like I have said before, it's the manner of the loses and I hope for one we put in a performance again, win, lose or draw.

Problem now is, some will see a bit more pressure on Smith, as we have seen yet again this team has it in them to beat anyone on the day, no Covid excuses, players not being good enough, we have seen what they can do, (even Barkley still has quality) so it's all on the coaching staff now to motivate the team to finish the season with as many points as possible,. Just a shame he didn't find the answers a bit sooner. UTV

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Good, me too.

Smith always talks about trying to get a performance out of a game. I agree with him. You can't guarantee results but you can do your best to guarantee a performance. Results will largely follow.

If you expect a win every game, you aren't going to get it.

If you expect a good performance every game, you aren't getting that either.

It's not all on the coaching staff because players simply do not play to their maximum every game. They aren't robots.

Group effort from all.

I'm not expecting good performances every game, but surely we can manage till the end of the season. Good reply though, very balanced, unlike others on here.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm not expecting good performances every game, but surely we can manage till the end of the season. Good reply though, very balanced, unlike others on here.

Why would you expect a balanced reply? Nothing about your opinion on Smith is balanced. 

It's so funny that you think they are. 

Look at your begrudging post above. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think Everton fans are very similar to ours in a lot of respects. Big club with ambitious owners who have spent big and will spend big again in the summer. 

With that comes expectation. Had Smith got us to where we are now having spent half the amount, I can’t imagine anyone on here would have any criticisms. However we have, and like Everton, fans and the board will expect results and success off the back of it. 

Personally I think Smith is doing great. He’s not without criticism but right now I wouldn’t swap him for anyone. Next season will be the big test to see if we can push on. 

What I will say is our squad is in a much better place than Everton’s. We have a young, established back 5, a very good striker and one of the best attacking players in the world. They will be focusing heavily on shifting 7/8 ageing players along with bringing quality in whereas we can concentrate on shifting 2/3, allowing players out of contract to leave and then focus on filling the gaps (DCM as an example) with expensive, quality starters. 

This summer will be exciting. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think Everton fans are very similar to ours in a lot of respects. Big club with ambitious owners who have spent big and will spend big again in the summer. 

With that comes expectation. Had Smith got us to where we are now having spent half the amount, I can’t imagine anyone on here would have any criticisms. However we have, and like Everton, fans and the board will expect results and success off the back of it. 

Personally I think Smith is doing great. He’s not without criticism but right now I wouldn’t swap him for anyone. Next season will be the big test to see if we can push on. 

Agree with this, although the pertinent difference of course being that Everton were spending £25-35 million on players when we were a Championship side. Their fan base and ownership has a bit more grounds for such criticism than ours has because they are many seasons further along than us in terms of building a squad that can challenge and yet find themselves in more or less the same position.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Why would you expect a balanced reply? Nothing about your opinion on Smith is balanced. 

It's so funny that you think they are. 

Look at your begrudging post above. 

Stop it now @DCJonah no need, your crossing the line, jumping on everything I post

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Stop it now @DCJonah no need, your crossing the line, jumping on everything I post

Well this is a bit rich. Not surprising though. 

A couple of days ago, I responded to someone on here and you came out with a post about "just like magic, you appear"

I made a post in the match thread to no one in particular and you responded in a similar way.

So don't be a hypocrite. This is like when you claimed I slag you off every post and then couldn't find one example when asked to back it up. 

40 minutes ago, weedman said:

Tbf you've done absolutely nothing but criticise for months and after a great win you seem to be desperate to dismiss it with a "yeah yeah it was good BUT..." 

If you want to critique the manager it's fine, but if you completely dismiss any positives and focus on every tiny perceived negative, then no-one will take anything you say seriously, you just come across as having an agenda, no matter if your points have any validity or not. 

Of course if your intention is just to wind people up then it seems to be working. So if that's the case then crack on and anyone not interested can just block you and don't need to worry about it

But any of us can post a opinion or comment, if you disagree that's fine, but no need to be your this you that your gang!! No one has a agenda against Smith no one!! An I personally have never said I want him out, yes I may be critical, but I don't hold the same regards for him as many other posters and that's how I feel and that's my prerogative. I'm not trying to change anyone else's opinion or disrespecting anyone on here, although some are getting close. 

Last night was a great win and as a fan I would have loved to have been there, but 1 game after many poor games since Jan is not going to change my opinion over night, an I don't think I'm being so out of order saying that.

Â