Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It seems to me that a few posters on here think clubs, that almost got relegated, walk through the following season without having a slump.

Or what it’s like to be a midtable PL side, something which we haven’t accomplished for a decade. 

And also that we’re an inconsistent side without Jack (like every team would be without a star player)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Why hasn’t  Ramsey impressed? Hasn’t had a mare like Luiz , Nakamba , Konsa and many  had last year?  He’s kept it neat and tidy and got himself into good positions with limited minutes, I  really hope we all won’t be having this conversation when Kessler and Chukwuemeka get their opportunity 

Because he hasnt really done anything of note. Like i said in the post the whole midfield isnt performing so its not his fault. Unfortunately he has come.in when the teams on poor form.

On 29/04/2021 at 21:49, foreveryoung said:

You can ofcourse mention the 7-2, but don't start moaning when others ask where that quality football we used to play has gone.

If it was just moaning, it wouldn’t be so irritating. It’s the silly little digs like “you little ray of sunshine” and “Have a little rant and feel better” which make this such an annoying thread. 

Like, can we discuss this away from the playground please?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

If it was just moaning, it wouldn’t be so irritating. It’s the silly little digs like “you little ray of sunshine” and “Have a little rant and feel better” which make this such an annoying thread. 

I totally agree, since they were both directed at me.

• Haha 1

On 30/04/2021 at 09:33, MrBlack said:

Interesting, because I think Ramsey has impressed.  Football, such a funny game. 

I say impressed, but I guess it's just relative to the other midfielders around him lately who I don't think have played well at all.  I would say has been better than Sanson, McGinn and Barkley. Luiz and Nakamba are more defensive so harder to compare.

Anyway, agree with the rest of the sentiment that I do think we could be giving some of the youth more of a chance, given at least some of the following:

- the form of the first team is poor, for whatever reason you want to pick

- the threat of relegation isn't there

- the pressure of a full stadium isn't there

- there are some youth team players who are clearly ripping up trees at their level, and looked perfectly capable against a largely first team Liverpool side (lots of caveats to that)

- but the biggest factor for me is we're playing a couple of has beens in the place of the youth team players we could be picking,  one of whom isn't even our player (Elmo, Barkley). I honestly do not believe the youth team would do any worse than them ignoring all the above. 

I get the view that every place is worth a lot of money, but don't think playing Kessler and Chuk instead of those two would have cost us any points. Probably more of a risk,  but I think the reward would be worth it.

just a point....In my experience, the Villa park crowd are so supportive of youth....I hope I have read that right?

Our fans, cut youth so much slack....they are very encouraging.

26 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Its the sheer frustration of disagreement, I guess....it breeds sarcasm.

For me there is 2 ways of looking at a game:

• Watch the game, wallow in the good bits and dismiss the bad bits as que sera sera.....I have to say, I wish, I could do that.
  • Watch the game accept the good bits and gain satisfaction, but analyse the bad bits and look for solutions to improve......I have to say, thats me, for my sins.

I accept, no way, is the right way, it depends on your personality.

My only exception to suppressing the bad bits, is winning, that trumps most things for me.

I find it , particularly difficult, to lose and not debate the bad bits.....I guess, we are all so different.

I wished, sometimes, that I didn't care.....but I do.....I like to know, why things have gone well, to try to avoid, them going wrong.

I guess, I am too analytical at times...I wish I wasn't.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

just a point....In my experience, the Villa park crowd are so supportive of youth....I hope I have read that right?

Wasn't necessarily implying they wouldn't be supported, just the pressure that 40 thousand people chanting your name brings.  Some will thrive, some will value their first experience being closer to what they experience with thr u23s.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I totally agree, since they were both directed at me.

at least it deflects it from me.

We will have to do it, in shifts.....I think Briny is on nights, this week.😀

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Or what it’s like to be a midtable PL side, something which we haven’t accomplished for a decade. 

And also that we’re an inconsistent side without Jack (like every team would be without a star player)

So do you think the manager has no role in coaching the team to play better despite the loss of our star player, or do we just wring our hands and accept we will just have to wait for Jack to get fit again?

29 minutes ago, TRO said:

Our fans, cut youth so much slack....they are very encouraging.

I know we bought him, so he's not from our youth system, but I remember grown adults shouting at 21 year old (I think) Joe Bennett on his home debut informing him that he was a useless cnut. 

Edited by Rolta

5 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

So do you think the manager has no role in coaching the team to play better despite the loss of our star player, or do we just wring our hands and accept we will just have to wait for Jack to get fit again?

Does we ever get to a point where we all realise the same conversation has been going on all week? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Does we ever get to a point where we all realise the same conversation has been going on all week? 

Maybe it's because it never gets answered. just that Smith has got us midtable so all is good and our recent form don't matter.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TRO said:

For me there is 2 ways of looking at a game:

• Watch the game, wallow in the good bits and dismiss the bad bits as que sera sera.....I have to say, I wish, I could do that.
  • Watch the game accept the good bits and gain satisfaction, but analyse the bad bits and look for solutions to improve......I have to say, thats me, for my sins.

I think absolutely everyone does this the second way - the difference between people is where they draw the line between good bits and bad bits. We all have our own line, but we use ours to judge whether other people use one or the other of your ways of looking at the game.

• Like 2

Think most of us watch the games and see the same things. This thread is mostly about fighting for already established positions and set opinions and not conceding points on a internet forum.

The Steve Bruce thread was exactly the same, only the other way round when it came to the people involved.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Maybe it's because it never gets answered. just that Smith has got us midtable so all is good and our recent form don't matter.

Except things have been answered, in many informative posts, across many repeated points on many different pages. 

If you don't agree or those opinions differ to yours, it doesn't mean it hasn't been answered. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sne said:

Think most of us watch the games and see the same things. This thread is mostly about fighting for already established positions and set opinions and not conceding points on a internet forum.

The Steve Bruce thread was exactly the same, only the other way round when it came to the people involved.

I disagree, with your second point......When he went, we were in support of the clubs decision.

what he was defended for before hand was the personal vitriol from some quarters.....and to this day, I hope we never see any manager of ours have the indignation of a vegatable hurled at them.....I thought it was a dark day for our club, having some fans resort to that kind of intimidation.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

Except things have been answered, in many informative posts, across many repeated points on many different pages. 

If you don't agree or those opinions differ to yours, it doesn't mean it hasn't been answered. 

On 29/04/2021 at 15:13, DCJonah said:

Won more games

Got more points

Scored more goals

Conceded less goals

Finished higher in the league. 

Yeah, I wonder if Den Smith can coach improvements in our squad. 

On 29/04/2021 at 17:41, sne said:

Not tall enough, Smith out!

You mean like these?😂

• Haha 1

Â