Dean Smith

Demitri_C

11 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Ha! You big up Smith like he is the second coming, but say Potter will be England manager at some point no mention of Smith, I mean he is that good yeah?

Double post

Edited by Tommo_b

3 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Hardly bigging him up is it, just pointing out the unrealistic expectations amongst the fan base. 

Potter over Smith for the England job as I feel his face would fit the FA more then Smiths. 

I don't think it's unrealistic the way we started to then go on and beat Brighton, Burnley, Newcastle or Sheffield United with 10 men.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I don't think it's unrealistic the way we started to then go on and beat Brighton, Burnley, Newcastle or Sheffield United with 10 men.

What about if the season was in reverse? 

If we'd started crap but now ended the season winning 7-2 at Anfield?

Just curious how you'd feel.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I don't think what happens between now and the end of the season really matters that much.  I'm pretty sure the board will have seen how good the first XI is from our form up until the new year and trust Dean with the next step of the building process.  Our poor form has been because of lack of depth and not being able to balance attack and defence without Jack.  I guess Barkley was seen as a key component in providing that at the start of the season but he has shit the bed on his footballing career. 

I also don't see how building a very good defence and winning points that way can be used to bash Dean either.  It wasn't long ago that people were saying he has never been able to build a defence in his managerial career.  Now he has done so for not much more than the likes of the top 4 will spend on just one defender.  Of course our targets will shift again next season and if we don't meet them then naturally the board will have a decision to make.  Everything I've heard from the club about it taking a few transfer windows to get us where we want to be makes sense and we seem to be developing at the kind of rate I'd expect, if not slightly ahead of schedule.  They seem to be able to look at the medium and long term rather than just looking at recent results and performances.

But if this continues until the end of the season, it won’t be recent results/ performances that have been poor. It will be over half a season of poor form. The owners will look at that seriously for certain. 
I don’t want Dean to get the sack. I really want him to be a success. I just think that the past 3.5 months have left him skating on very thin ice. If there are no improvements between now and the end of the season I think there is a fair chance of him getting sacked.

Hopefully we will have a strong end to the season. Play some really nice football and bag 3 or 4 more wins. If we do then I think Dean will be safe. If we continue the slide though, questions will be asked. I think the later looks more likely than the former.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It’s not, but it is unreasonable to keep saying the same thing when you look overall and we are 10th.  We can all pick bad points and we can all pick good points.  Until last week our record from coming from behind was poor, you can point to that.  You can then point how good we are when we are in front this season but we screwed that up yesterday.  Points can say many things but on the board says we are 10th which is a positive point.

Ok well the smith out crowd are going to be disappointed in the summer I’m 99% he is going nowhere and this is coming from someone who thought he should have been replaced feb last year

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

Ok well the smith out crowd are going to be disappointed in the summer I’m 99% he is going nowhere and this is coming from someone who thought he should have been replaced feb last year

Your probably correct. But owners and CEOs see things differently to supporters.

If this form continues until the end of the season the question will be asked though.

I’m not in the Smith to go camp but have reservations about his long term ability. It would all depend for me who they would have in mind as stability for me is worth more than a big name manager like Viera for example. If it were Ralf Rangnick than I’d be Dean who... if they replaced Smith with Gerrard this summer it would be Purslow out. All conjecture as I don’t see him going anywhere nor do I want smith to go! but also will not call out anyone who see’s it differently and not shed too many tears of they do decide he taken us as far as he can. 

Edited by thabucks

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Your probably correct. But owners and CEOs see things differently to supporters.

If this form continues until the end of the season the question will be asked though.

I’m not convinced it will be, they have a long term plan and we seem to be on track with it.  They don’t seem to be short term owners that are trigger happy otherwise they would’ve sacked Smith last February (2020).  Given they didn’t, we are significantly in a better position now, they aren’t going to do it now however we finish the season if this form continues because we have 8 points in the last 7 games.  At that rate we’ll still be 52 points or above, which is a great progressive season compared to last.

We've had years of transitions. Smith leaving sets us back. There's no guarantee that even a high-profile name would turn the bad patches around. Smith had to oversee a massive rebuild and it's still ongoing, the idea that replacing him will solve that won't wash for me. Judge him more next year. Let's see what the summer brings in terms of transfers. We are in a much healthier and stable position than many clubs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AVFCDAN said:

In definitely not in the smith out camp but there are better managers out there, unlikely any of them would come here though so happy to stick with him for now.

Well excuse me who the hell are you to bring common sense here.?!?!? 

1 minute ago, AVFCDAN said:

In definitely not in the smith out camp but there are better managers out there, unlikely any of them would come here though so happy to stick with him for now.

Not true when you have Billionaire owners.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

The board wanted stability and league status, they aren't going to ditch him. Smith has a great bond with some of the biggest players - whether Jack or Ollie, that isn't dismissed so easily.

18pts from 16 games in 2021 isn’t stability though.  Isn’t going to get better with games we have remaining. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m not convinced it will be, they have a long term plan and we seem to be on track with it.  They don’t seem to be short term owners that are trigger happy otherwise they would’ve sacked Smith last February (2020).  Given they didn’t, we are significantly in a better position now, they aren’t going to do it now however we finish the season if this form continues because we have 8 points in the last 7 games.  At that rate we’ll still be 52 points or above, which is a great progressive season compared to last.

Well there were strong rumours he was on the brink - In the end the Chelsea game was postponed and the country descended into chaos with lockdowns etc.

• Like 1

Â