Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I think our form is directly connected to Grealish being injured. I think Grealish carried that knock for a little while. Our form dropped once fatigue and injuries started appearing through the squad. Suspect right now there several players are carrying minor knocks that affect them. Including Watkins and Mings. 

We were fortunate we didn't catch injuries earlier in the season, cause we knew how threadbare our squad is.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

We haven't been the same since the Covid breakout. It's not all about Grealish, although he is crucial of course. Too many players look flat and there's not much opportunity to change that. Smith isn't sending them out to play like this. Our stoic defence and world class keeper mean we won't lose many games whilst we're in this funk. But it's pretty awful to watch.

If it isn't going to change soon I'd start throwing more of the kids in.

• Like 3

I think its more about the long-term effects without crowds to be honest. At this time of the season players are tired and not as motivated, they need the crowds to lift them. That not an excuse its a reason. We are not the only team playing crap at the moment. Most matches are dire to watch. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Not in isolation no. But this is the thing on VT, in these hypothetical situations, we always keep all the good things and then still expect more. That's the unrealistic side of it. Yes we've had some poor performances and results but then we've also had some excellent ones and picked up lots of points. 

It's what a midtable premier league club does.

You can't look at this squad and think it's as competitive as those teams above us? 

Our attacking options at the moment are horrendous. 

I agree that it isn't as competitive and that our options are indeed dire.

Of course I keep the good things, it isn't a zero sum game. It's not like being a mid table team defines the amount of points you're going to get, ad if you get results against the bigger sides then you will lose them against "lesser" opposition. 

It's the other way around. We are mid table precisely because we have failed to take our chances against weaker opposition.

That doesn't in any way discredit those games where we have done great against stronger opposition. 

19 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I love Smith and everything has done for us, but if he were to leave, who would you want taking over.

Seeing as our owners are very ambitious,  i would love to see us go all out for nagelsmann. Think he'd turn us into regular top 4 challengers

There is a thread for that I'm pretty sure. Think it might be locked thou.

28 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I love Smith and everything has done for us, but if he were to leave, who would you want taking over.

Seeing as our owners are very ambitious,  i would love to see us go all out for nagelsmann. Think he'd turn us into regular top 4 challengers

Sean Dmith please, should see what he did for his home town club from languishing in the Championship to fighting for top six place but unfortunate to fade towards the end because of a small squad.

I'll "want him out" when we put in a performance like that and afterwards he starts saying how well we've played.

That won't ever happen.

Not been fun last few weeks but I expect performances to improve by the time the end of the season comes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Very true!

Just amazing what form does to a player/team.  Only three/four months ago we were one of the most exciting teams to watch but now it’s like watching paint dry. This poor form didn’t start when Jack got injured, it started a few games before.

We are just going through a bad spell which we will come out of as all good teams do.

We aren’t the top six team a lot we’re hoping for but we aren’t a lower half team either.  We have to take the good with the bad, we know we are a couple of transfer windows from a good squad and we still have players learning (one of the youngest teams around).

So I’m disappointed about the performance yesterday but this season has been great overall.

Jack was injured a couple of games before though defo, he was just trying to play through it, his form was well off. Happened the same last year, form died off then injury came.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Wasn't it full of suggestions like Big Sam, think it was opened last season

Yeah I remember it being rather terrifying.

Big Sam  Shudders GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHYShudder - Album on ImgurClint eastwood shudder gif » GIF DownloadYikes Shudder GIF - Yikes Shudder Creepy - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Wasn't it full of suggestions like Big Sam, think it was opened last season

Yes.

Names like that and the same posters who moan Smith can't get up Europe saying he couldn't keep us up.

12 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Yes.

Names like that and the same posters who moan Smith can't get up Europe saying he couldn't keep us up.

Slight dig!

Just remember Smith is far from devoid of criticism. If he was anyone else I'm sure there would be far more fans asking questions the way we have been playing. There is no doubt he is running out of idea's without Grealish, but to be fair as someone said, I guess so would Man U without Fernandes.

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Very true!

Just amazing what form does to a player/team.  Only three/four months ago we were one of the most exciting teams to watch but now it’s like watching paint dry. This poor form didn’t start when Jack got injured, it started a few games before.

We are just going through a bad spell which we will come out of as all good teams do.

We aren’t the top six team a lot we’re hoping for but we aren’t a lower half team either.  We have to take the good with the bad, we know we are a couple of transfer windows from a good squad and we still have players learning (one of the youngest teams around).

So I’m disappointed about the performance yesterday but this season has been great overall.

2nd half v Burnley was where the decline started - we haven't been the same since.

Smith seems to have hit a ceiling. I've given up doubting him as he always proves me wrong.! I think we need to plonk one of our kids us to give us a bit of a  spark.

I don't think we can really judge DS until next season. He might just have run out of players.

I personally think that Smith has lot more to achieve at this club he has proven to me as a footballing fan that he has improved as a coach and manager this season.

I think we just lack quality and early results have got to some of the fans head.

We need to remember where we was, the longer we stay in the league to more quality we will have. 

We will always attract quality players with the likes of Grealish, Konsa and Martinez in the team.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Slight dig!

Just remember Smith is far from devoid of criticism. If he was anyone else I'm sure there would be far more fans asking questions the way we have been playing. There is no doubt he is running out of idea's without Grealish, but to be fair as someone said, I guess so would Man U without Fernandes.

Just a bit tiring seeing the same things that people were saying when we were in the championship. Smith clearly is a good manager.

He gets blamed for every defeat.

Last night featured some crazy bad individual performances and decisions. 

Key thing for me is he calls it out after. So so rarely does he ever say something you haven't seen. This gives me courage he knows this isn't good and we will work on it.

If we play like this until the end of the season, he's in a fight for his job. We won't.

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Slight dig!

Not really a dig when its true. Same posters moving goal posts 

Smith can be criticised everybody can 

I thought his after match comments were refreshingly honest. We should have won, but switched off after scoring. We’re still a work in progress. Our next close season will be crucial. If we are as astute with our recruitment as we were last season, then I’m very optimistic Dean will be leading us still higher.

Edited by meregreen

Â