Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Bang on from Deano tonight. Correct changes and tactically superb. 

Leeds can have the ball all they like but they really didn't create anything clear cut or seriously have me worried. Brilliant result and a first without Grealish which I'm sure he'll be extra pleased with. 

He did a Wolves on them. Turns out it is very effective as their main outlet for goals is being able to break quickly and counter.

Smith said we were to open first half but in the second half we stayed in a low block not giving them anything. A good tactical job today. I am impressed.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

SOUTH PARQ on Twitter: "Oh the tears of unfathomable sadness....yummy!… "

When other teams work so hard to get a result it shows character in the team, and also shows that the players will run through walls for their manager. 

When we do it it's shithousery 🤣

5 minutes ago, AVFC44 said:

OK fair enough you are correct. What I should have said was it's not often that Smith beats an opponent tactically and today was one of only a few occasions (that I can remember). :)

My mistake!

To be honest I think that it has happened pretty often. He has had his fair share of luck as well (Southampton) and beating Allardyce or Bruce tactically is no massive achievement but I actually class him as a manager that is pretty astute tactically.

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Nah - Burnley are talentless thugs with no guile. We were smart today and tidy where we needed to be.

Cut him some slack, it ruins your day when your team lose. 

27 minutes ago, AVFC44 said:

The first time I think Smith has ever done a job on the opposition tactically. We pressed high and didn't let Leeds play through us. I haven't seen a team limit Leeds as much as we did today.

We literally did the same to Arsenal a few weeks ago. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

To be honest I think that it has happened pretty often. He has had his fair share of luck as well (Southampton) and beating Allardyce or Bruce tactically is no massive achievement but I actually class him as a manager that is pretty astute tactically.

Certainly think we have been better since Shakespeare came in.

• Like 1

On 21/02/2021 at 18:36, Villa 59 said:

This again except for 'delete' Leicester 'insert' Leeds

Thanks for listening to me Deano. It takes strong management to admit you were wrong about Barkley! 

Feel free to call me anytime for further advice! 

5 minutes ago, The Other Mat said:

We literally did the same to Arsenal a few weeks ago. 

Agree 

Wasn't pretty or good for the nerves but we set up challenging arteta to do something and he came nowhere near doing so, we set up perfectly on the counter and looked more dangerous 

1 minute ago, AVFC44 said:

Certainly think we have been better since Shakespeare came in.

And ollie

Means a tactical shift on and off the ball

Assuming a fit and firing Watkins is the epitome of how Smith wants us to play - and thinking that it's a really good brand of football 

Arsenal

Brighton

Leicester

Leeds

How many points would people have thought we'd get from this run of fixtures? Because we got 7. Very happy with that. 10 from 6 if you include West Ham and Southampton before that. Ticking along very nicely.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Arsenal

Brighton

Leicester

Leeds

How many points would people have thought we'd get from this run of fixtures? Because we got 7. Very happy with that. 10 from 6 if you include West Ham and Southampton before that. Ticking along very nicely.

And a fairly manageable run of games ahead of us. This could get very interesting. We cannot afford to let up against Sheff Utd, for starters.

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

I think he made the exact changes I would have made today, with the only exception I would have made the Trez one 4-5 mins earlier. 

Sanson was brought on after 80 and Bertie was pulled off after 88. I agree those were the right subs but too late IMHO.

I would have been furious at Smith if he’d chosen Barkley but yet again, he’s made the right choice in dropping him. 

There probably is an argument for making subs a little too late in matches but he’d been superb this season. Wouldn’t want anyone else as our manager. 

Can’t wait to see what this side looks like after another 2/3 transfer windows. Smith will establish us as a top 8 team in the next 2/3 years, I’m sure of it. 

Edited by Delphinho123

Â