Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m not sure if donations from fans counts towards ffp or not but either way that’s incredibly generous of you. 

Haha! Not sure I’d afford said player’s shoelace but every little helps I suppose! 

• Haha 1

The one thing Smith has done well, is learn from his mistakes. It cost nothing to rotate in 1-2 players when the regular squad is looking a little tired. Also thought we were a little more physical in the middle, the Arsenal players will have some nice bruises from the encounter.

We’re not playing particularly well at the moment, but we still remain a threat going forward and creating those big chances. Hopefully the week with no midweek game will get us back to our best.

• Like 1

If I had to criticise Smith, and I really don’t like criticising probably my favourite ever Villa manager, it’s that he doesn’t use subs early enough. 

Today, I’d have brought Ramsey and Luiz in much earlier and freshened the legs in the middle. 

Super manager and hope he’s with us for the next ten years. 

39 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Well that Leeds fan certainly appreciates us more than our resident Leeds fan does. 

He followed that up with a comment that Leeds defenders just look at his each other. So whilst Leeds are admired for how they approach games and play on the front foot, there’s also an art to defending and it’s something we are superb at on our day. Smith deserves a lot of credit for it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I don't understand why we didn't put Luiz on even for the least minute or so. It would have wasted some time and helped us keep possession more plus he is better defensively than mcginn and Ramsey. 

The Ramsey substitution worked out absolutely fine. In fact it was almost perfect as we were very close on two occasions to a second 'killer' goal when he was brought on. It enabled us to press higher up the pitch and gave us fresh energy when we needed it most. 

The gaffer got it spot on today with his substitutions, timing of them and starting Marvellous! 

• Like 1

Just now, AV82 said:

Interestingly today Man Utd made a 93rd minute sub to help see out their 3-2 lead which backfired massively. Moments after bringing on Tuanzebe he makes a foul and Everton make it 3-3 from the resulting set piece in the 95th minute. I've seen a few Man Utd fans bemoaning the substitution and give their thoughts on how bringing Axel on disrupted the stability of the team and caused confusion when otherwise they may have cruised on to a 3-2 victory.

Food for thought when we're bashing Smith regarding his substitutions.

I was thinking the same point but forgot to post....thanks for the reminder.  

It’s a great point!

I did think of you all when his subs proved so influential. Played an absolute blinder with them today. 

Marv for Luiz set the tone I think, it sent a signal to the players that nobody is beyond losing the shirt. As it should be. Now he has to show a bit of mettle and stick with the decision, given the way Marv gave a platform and set a standard, yet again. It is getting to that time in the season where he is going to have to make more of these decisions, that is the next level for Dean. 

Also, our consistency does concern me and will continue to do so until proven otherwise. But it's nice that after a loss I won't automatically think we will be shite the following week. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Interestingly today Man Utd made a 93rd minute sub to help see out their 3-2 lead which backfired massively. Moments after bringing on Tuanzebe he makes a foul and Everton make it 3-3 from the resulting set piece in the 95th minute. I've seen a few Man Utd fans bemoaning the substitution and give their thoughts on how bringing Axel on disrupted the stability of the team and caused confusion when otherwise they may have cruised on to a 3-2 victory.

No this is nonsense. No way is this true. Subs only ever have positive impacts and always end up winning you points. If only clueless, reactive Smith could figure this out. 

This kind of rubbish needs to be deleted. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To put things in to perspective our squad went 2 weeks without any training. 9 of them had covid. They have come back and played 6 games in 18 days and have 9 points. That is 4 less than what Leicester managed who are the second most in form team in the league. In the main everyone is happy. Yet you got the odd person moaning about subs and lacklustre performances. I find it unbelievable. I really do. 

It's very strange behaviour. You see it in the Mings thread/on social media too where the usuals are so dogmatic that they caveat begrudgingly admitting he played brilliantly with "but I'm still correct about what I said before".

Just enjoy it. It's been said already but we're over halfway through the season with games in hand on the European places whilst having won the same amount of games as Liverpool and more than Spurs and Chelsea. Nobody expected this and everyone involved has played a part in it. H'on the lads.

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AV82 said:

I heard Smith quote regarding people making comments about the players being fatigued and used the analogy that if they were fatigued they would be lying on the ground!! It's a poor analogy.

One incident doesn't make it a poor decision by the manager to make a change, it's part of the game. I'd like to see the stats where Man Utd and others have made this change, very late on, and went on to win the game and not. It's used to wind down the clock. Probably 99.9% win .01% loss.

There's a difference between being proactive and seeing things happening and being reactive when its too late. It's part of managing the squad over a full season.

Yes some bash Smith because it's a sport for them, but some supporters want to see better management through proactive reading of the game, not reactive. Fatigue isn't just physical, it's also mental.

• Like 1

Managers say things to create a culture around the club and get reactions out of players. I'm sure Smith knows what fatigue is.

Personally, I don't like defensive subs when you're holding on to a lead. They tend to disturb the balance of the defence. The Tuanzebe sub is a good example of that.

I would like to see us rotate a little bit more in midfield/attack (not loads more though), but that does depend on having options on the bench. Half the time Smith is getting criticised for not taking a player off, and then you look at the bench options and wonder if it would have actually improved anything.

Maybe some people watch a bit too much "Big 6" / Champions League football and forget those clubs have been investing £££ for years in squad depth, and are playing in Europe as well as challenging seriously for both domestic cups. Their squad rotation is designed to handle that. Smith doesn't have that problem yet.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Personally, I don't like defensive subs when you're holding on to a lead. They tend to disturb the balance of the defence. The Tuanzebe sub is a good example of that.

There's a time and a place for both, I think.

I respect Deano for his attacking mindset, it has made us a dream to watch and the results speak for themselves. But as with all dreams, sometimes there are nightmares.

He is definitely getting better at laying off the cheese. 

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

There's a time and a place for both, I think.

I respect Deano for his attacking mindset, it has made us a dream to watch and the results speak for themselves. But as with all dreams, sometimes there are nightmares.

He is definitely getting better at laying off the cheese. 

I just meant not changing players in the back 5. Bringing on a more defensive midfielder (e.g. Trezeguet for Traore or even Ramsey for Barkley) is fine IMO.

• Like 1

I can't lie, I do get concerned about the lack of subs we make. But then again, I'm not a professional coach, I barely know anything about the technical side of the game really, so who am I to doubt a guy who has been nothing but brilliant for us since he arrived?

If he says everything is fine, then everything is fine. No further discussion needed.

Are we ever going to stop talking about substitutions? It’s such a small part of a managers remit.  My Sunday league manager makes 3 subs every game. Sometimes many at half time. Tactics team made 3 subs every game.  I could go on. 

I get the odd opinion on Smith and his substitutions. But I can’t believe people think it’s such a big issue. Amazes me!

Â