Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I think along with the players, Dean and the management should get some stick for not doing more when we could all see so many players having poor games and Leeds seem to be having one of their good games.  I honestly don’t know what that change would be because we were poor all over the pitch.  

Our wings one day outplay the best in TAA, Robertson and Salah and next day fall down to Costa and Harrison.  Bamford had one of those half’s where everything he struck went in the net.  

On the whole though I’m less worried about Leeds as we still could’ve taken the lead ourselves and whose what would’ve happened then.  

I’m now wanting to see Dean and the teams reaction to this, it may turn into a good kick up the back side, that we aren’t that good and we still need to work hard to have a good season.  We need new season Villa next match and not prelockdown Villa.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

That was exactly what wolves did to us last year, almost carbon copy

I thought at the start of the season that our weakness was in the full back area's. Not so much the full back's themselves (although they are certainly not World Class) but the players in front of them not tracking back properly... Trez & Grealish are not good at it & neither are Elghazi or Traore. Bielsa & other teams will see this & Leeds indeed exploited it very well. Sadly tonight our Midfield & strikers were simply not at it either which meant they had way too much possession and  thus far too many opportunities to exploit our weak spot with us not offering much threat at all once the inevitable first goal had been scored.

Leeds played it very well to be honest.

We need to find an answer to this issue as it will happen on repeat as & when our midfield & front are not at it as they were most definately not tonight... Nor against Leicester actually either though we got away with it that night. When our front players are on it it nullifies the risk somewhat as the opposition are more worried about not conceding. It was clear tonight we were way off the pace so Leeds got more & more confident and the game was lost.

2 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Dean needs to trust his squad. You can't be just making 1 substitute a game. Look at Leeds, they had a bunch of back-ups running us ragged. Bielsa substituted a player 20 minutes in!

That pissed me right off, that second challenge was worthy of a yellow, just because it was early in the game shouldnt make a difference.  When a manager has to hook a player for his own good that early it says it all.  Same with Billings last year.

• Like 2

He was outsmarted tonight by the opposition manager. It happens. Dean outsmarted Klopp just a few weeks back 

Hopefully we'll learn more from this defeat than we did from our wins. Onwards and upwards.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, penguin said:

It really was such a unique game. At the risk of blowing smoke up their arse, there isn't many managers in world football who will analyse and exploit your weakness to the extent Bielsa will.

They play like that every week? There was no special plan for us.

With Bielsa, you have to just deal with what they do, which is hard. They battered our tired midfield.

2 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Dean needs to trust his squad. You can't be just making 1 substitute a game. Look at Leeds, they had a bunch of back-ups running us ragged. Bielsa substituted a player 20 minutes in!

None of the bench are PL players that would have made any difference.

Plenty of deadwood on there to move out in the next few years.

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Subs was never the issue. The players just thought they were the biz after 4 wins and decided not to work for it today. That's how you get beat in this league. Fair play Leeds. 

Yep agree and hopefully this is the kicking that will do us good in the long term because we realise that we still have to work hard.

• Like 1

Everything that was wrong with this game was the midfield three.

The reason Leeds looked like Barcelona from 10 years ago is because they had total free reign inside our half on the flanks and it wasn't the full backs fault it was the total fault of Luiz and McGinn not giving them protection which is what their role is in a 4231.

If we aren't playing a 4231 then Ross needs to be much further back with the other two and you can't play Trez from the start in that system.

It is unforgivable that the two defensive midfielder perform that poorly and it is unforgivable that either Dean didn't tell them what they were doing wrong and if he did but they didn't carry out the tactics correctly then to change the personnel 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I thought at the start of the season that our weakness was in the full back area's. Not so much the full back's themselves (although they are certainly not World Class) but the players in front of them not tracking back properly... Trez & Grealish are not good at it & neither are Elghazi or Traore. Bielsa & other teams will see this & Leeds indeed exploited it very well. Sadly tonight our Midfield & strikers were simply not at it either which meant they had way too much possession and  thus far too many opportunities to exploit our weak spot with us not offering much threat at all once the inevitable first goal had been scored.

Leeds played it very well to be honest.

We need to find an answer to this issue as it will happen on repeat as & when our midfield & front are not at it as they were most definately not tonight... Nor against Leicester actually either though we got away with it that night. When our front players are on it it nullifies the risk somewhat as the opposition are more worried about not conceding. It was clear tonight we were way off the pace so Leeds got more & more confident and the game was lost.

That isn't their job in our system that is the job of the 2 defensive midfielders one goes to cover the play the flank is on and the other sits.

Combination of not playing well

Smith not recognising the threats and adjusting sooner.

Leeds had a better work rate

Bielsa exploited our weaknesses.

Had the knsa or grealish effort gone in...who knows...it didn't...many thing for me is after the first one went in we went back to defending of old.

Like the picture...one player v 4 of ours...school boy defending.

But....am I bothered...a little bit...4 out of 5 which last year we we would have been bottom two not top 2.

We were going to lose at some point shame its sodding Bamford who got the goals and Leeds...never hear the end of it now.

The reaction next game will be more important to me 

UTV

IMG-20201023-WA0030.jpg

Edited by Bazmonkey
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Tomaszk said:

They play like that every week? There was no special plan for us.

With Bielsa, you have to just deal with what they do, which is hard. They battered our tired midfield.

None of the bench are PL players that would have made any difference.

Plenty of deadwood on there to move out in the next few years.

Of course they have their general play-style but you really think he makes no adjustments to each specific opponent? I guess the meticulous research he is famed for doing on every team they play is just for shits and giggles.

Out of curiosity, why do people hate Bamford so much? The hatred often refers to something beyond him being a playacting little shit (like plenty of other players) but there doesn’t seem much else to hate him for.

Edited by His Name Is Death

3 minutes ago, penguin said:

Of course they have their general play-style but you really think he makes no adjustments to each specific opponent? I guess the meticulous research he is famed for doing on every team they play is just for shits and giggles.

Must be yeah.

Going forward, that's what they're trying to do every game.

Have a watch of their next two games, it'll be the same.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Outclassed by Bielsa tonight, had no ideas, a little worrying this early in the season.

I do worry about his like for like subs still.

Overreaction!  He outclassed Klopp a couple of weeks back.  One game doesn’t make a mountain, let’s see over more games.

• Like 1

I really like Dean Smith but he is no Biesla. Wow that is one seriously well coached team. He gets hit by a bus and that squad are relegation fodder. Absolutely ordinary players excelling in a brilliant system. 

His kryptonite though is human physiology. Players can’t do that for a full season. Looking forward to the next game against them when they’re out in their feet. 

14 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Subs was never the issue. The players just thought they were the biz after 4 wins and decided not to work for it today. That's how you get beat in this league. Fair play Leeds. 

Disagree on this, we clearly have a slower more methodical approach to the game. We were getting into the game and started countering well before the break. However, they came out of the break the way they started the game. It’s nothing to do with arrogance. It was a lack of reacting to the situation by the players and the manager.

• Like 2

Â