Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Interesting that he said he is barely ever having a go at players.

Don't know how i feel about that. 

Ex Man Utd players said they feared Ferguson and would give everything on the pitch to please him and to not get on his wrong side.

Also i got a bit confused about another thing he said. He said our point tally were nowhere near what they aimed for before the season. Nowhere near. Statistically you need 36 points on average to survive in the league. Later he said the target was to survive.

Doesn't add up to me. If we finished on a point tally that is only 2-3 point off you being practically safe but then saying we had a point tally nowhere near what we expected.. I'm just, i don't get it

the main thing was to stay up but he wanted to do better than just stay up by the skin of our teeth its not that hard to understand! 

• Like 1

Michelle Owen does a good job of navigating the interview and allowing it to develop so we get insight and reflection from Dean Smith, as he sees it. Dean Smith comes across as a great coach, and as I've said from early on I believe he is more than adequate to take this club forward, and I wonder how high the ceiling is. Straight-forward, focused, hard working, and there also seems to be an element of easy-going to his character. I imagine he wouldn't be a difficult man. Loved the discussion on how he addressed the liabilities that were costing us points. Simple and effective approach. He identifies and defines what is costing us to our detriment, along with his advisors and counsel, then they create ideas for potential solutions, or "a plan" as Dean says himself. The way he goes about implementing that plan is masterstroke. Taking on an all-inclusive approach, involving the whole team, he creates an open dialogue about what's happening that needs to be changed, and also what's going to happen to bring about that change. So not only is he presenting to the team a clear set of instructions that they are to carry out and advising them on how to handle specific situations to better equip us for a higher standard of performance, he is getting the players, the people who actually need to see out the plan, to take part in the conversation that will ultimately determine what the plan is. Obviously, this has developed playing rapport among the team, and hopefully personal rapport too. To finish, if you want a measure of Smith's ability as a football coach, look at it this way, for a moment, if you will. Smith didn't throw in the towel. @TRO I tag you here because I think Smith's teams might end up personifying the fighting spirit that we lacked earlier on because personnel weren't battle hardened or ready just yet. Smith didn't try different methods only to fall short. Smith has accurately assessed and identified what it takes to turn a team that he describes as "believing they were relegated" in to a team that believes and has purpose. It's not the first season that a seemingly disappointing campaign where we underachieve has actually ended up being ultimately successful and a step in the right direction with Smith at the helm.

UTV!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Michelle Owen does a good job of navigating the interview and allowing it to develop so we get insight and reflection from Dean Smith, as he sees it. Dean Smith comes across as a great coach, and as I've said from early on I believe he is more than adequate to take this club forward, and I wonder how high the ceiling is. Straight-forward, focused, hard working, and there also seems to be an element of easy-going to his character. I imagine he wouldn't be a difficult man. Loved the discussion on how he addressed the liabilities that were costing us points. Simple and effective approach. He identifies and defines what is costing us to our detriment, along with his advisors and counsel, then they create ideas for potential solutions, or "a plan" as Dean says himself. The way he goes about implementing that plan is masterstroke. Taking on an all-inclusive approach, involving the whole team, he creates an open dialogue about what's happening that needs to be changed, and also what's going to happen to bring about that change. So not only is he presenting to the team a clear set of instructions that they are to carry out and advising them on how to handle specific situations to better equip us for a higher standard of performance, he is getting the players, the people who actually need to see out the plan, to take part in the conversation that will ultimately determine what the plan is. Obviously, this has developed playing rapport among the team, and hopefully personal rapport too. To finish, if you want a measure of Smith's ability as a football coach, look at it this way, for a moment, if you will. Smith didn't throw in the towel. @TRO I tag you here because I think Smith's teams might end up personifying the fighting spirit that we lacked earlier on because personnel weren't battle hardened or ready just yet. Smith didn't try different methods only to fall short. Smith has accurately assessed and identified what it takes to turn a team that he describes as "believing they were relegated" in to a team that believes and has purpose. It's not the first season that a seemingly disappointing campaign where we underachieve has actually ended up being ultimately successful and a step in the right direction with Smith at the helm.

UTV!

I thought the interview was very cordial and laid back and personified the man more than the coach.....He seems a thoroughly decent bloke.

On the coach, I like his all inclusive touch, where he encourages the players to buy in to the analysis and tests them on what they think, then re- directs them.....its all democratic stuff that breeds inclusion.

However, there is nothing like winning or not losing to gain attention and belief....since Lockdown, I saw a difference in general to the way we played and approached the game.....Luiz improved, John McGinn a bit better, also helped.

The crux of the matter for me is, if you keep losing and losing badly, players will not listen to you, no matter how much sense you spew......Dean has to find a way of consolidating and the instruction will get better, catch 22, I know.

judging since lockdown, I have more confidence, we have sussed what it takes to stay in this league.

Edited by TRO

On 22/08/2020 at 09:30, Sulberto21 said:

Players feared Fergie, but there were some players he put his arm around. Others he had a business like approach. Ronaldo was one of those who he treated like a son. Ronaldo has said this himself. I can't see Keane being scared of Fergie. The one thing Fergie had was he defended his players to the hilt. Another was his adaptability. 

It's a great headline but Fergie really was flexible in his approach.

Fear doesn't seem to be Dean Smith's style. He might occasionally give them a rocket but I think his is a more say something and let the players think and stew about things.

I agree. I watched an interview with Ron Saunders, himself no shrinking violet, and his general standpoint was that everyone needed treating differently. Some need an arm around the shoulder, some a kick up the rear etc. Saunders and most if not all successful managers understand this. 

I also think that it’s important that a manager is honest and is himself. Players will see straight through you if you try or be something you’re not. Apparently Wenger never shouted or lost his temper, that just wasn’t him. He seemed to do ok though. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The trick with using the hairdryer is to use it sparingly. If you routinely rant and rave, it loses its impact. But when a boss is calm 90% of the time, a rare angry outburst really lets them know he means it. 

Spot on.

17 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I agree. I watched an interview with Ron Saunders, himself no shrinking violet, and his general standpoint was that everyone needed treating differently. Some need an arm around the shoulder, some a kick up the rear etc. Saunders and most if not all successful managers understand this. 

I also think that it’s important that a manager is honest and is himself. Players will see straight through you if you try or be something you’re not. Apparently Wenger never shouted or lost his temper, that just wasn’t him. He seemed to do ok though. 

Ron wasn't a shouter either.....He would just dismiss you as if you wasn't there, if he had the hump.....or give a steely look of disgust, if he wasn't happy.

They all have their own way of showing emotion.

29 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The trick with using the hairdryer is to use it sparingly. If you routinely rant and rave, it loses its impact. But when a boss is calm 90% of the time, a rare angry outburst really lets them know he means it. 

I find alternating with Pizza and football boots is very impactful 😉.

47 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Fergie was famously good at treating players differently, in the right way. 

There’s stories of him putting his arm round Nani no matter how bad he played. Because he knew that if he shouted at him he’d shrink and be even worse. 

Whereas he’d shout at Rooney even if he was having the game of his life because he knew that’s what he responded to and it would motivate him 

• Like 2

Fergie was very selective about who he gave the hairdryer to.Not all players will respond to that.If you want players to take a risk with the ball either in attack or in defence you don’t want them to be scared.People don’t often work at their best if they are frightened or nervous.

If you look at Liverpool under Klopp those players are giving their all not because they are frightened .

Always loved that documentary about John Sutton the Orient manager 92/93 where he would routinely scream at his players.One time he offered to fight a couple of them and advised them to “bring their dinner with them”because the fight would go on for a long time.It was really effective half time talk they were losing 2nil and went on to lose 4nil.

Edited by Only2McInallys

I was against appointing Dean from the very beginning. I have called for him to be sacked on various occasions since his appointment but you cannot fail to like the man. He comes across so well in that interview. He has earned the chance to have another go at the PL. I really hope he proves me wrong. A bit of stability is long overdue!

• Confused 1

If you look at all the players DS has managed in his career at Walsall, Brentford and now here I reckon there's no more than 4-5 who'd have bad words about him. I think majority enjoy playing under him given the style of football he tries to play and you obviously get the sense he's a decent bloke who'll listen and respond to player requests if they've got issues off the pitch.

Certainly Grealish loves playing for him and I'm sure McGinn and Mings are thankful for how he's helped their careers along. It's also now clicking with Luiz so that's basically the spine of our team. Of the current squad probably the only one who'd feel he hasn't had a fair crack would be Kalinic, we'll see what he says when he leaves us permanently.

I also remember an interview Maupay did last January before Brentford play us. Said he had huge respect for DS and enjoying playing for him. Maybe it was a come and get me plea but that's another player who's now doing good things in premier league who realises the part DS played in his development.

I'm sure he can lay down the law when required and players certainly know where they stand with him.

What he needs to improve next season is reacting far quicker to developing situations during games. We wasted so many points when games were slipping away from us in second halfs by not making a sub or tweaking our formation/shape. The Chelsea home game was a textbook case of that so to be a top level manager in premier league he really needs to learn those skills otherwise he'll stay an also ran. Time will tell.

• Like 2

I haven’t watched it because if I’m being honest I find his interviews and press conferences quite boring. But he isn’t employed to entertain fans with what he has to say. It’s all about how the team do on the pitch and so far whilst it hasn’t been perfect he kept us up. 

I personally think the job is too big for him and he will be sacked this season. Hopefully I’m wrong.

• Sad 1

Really? I’d say his interviews and press conferences are fine personally, I found Bruce/Mcleish far worse for example. If we finish around 12th he won’t be sacked. I think after lockdown he had proven he had learnt from his mistakes so long may it continue. The club look like they are willing to back him the market so let’s hope it works out. 

When we were seven points from safety Smith said we'd stay up and he sounded like he really believed it as well, most other managers in that scenario usually just say something like 'whilst it's mathematically possible we will keep fighting'.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

One time he offered to fight a couple of them and advised them to “bring their dinner with them”because the fight would go on for a long time.It was really effective half time talk they were losing 2nil and went on to lose 4nil.

Think you're getting this mixed up, they were 1 down at half time, and it finished 1-0. So I guess it worked :D 

5 hours ago, useless said:

When we were seven points from safety Smith said we'd stay up and he sounded like he really believed it as well, most other managers in that scenario usually just say something like 'whilst it's mathematically possible we will keep fighting'.

Not gonna lie I thought that was borderline delusional.

Seems it was be who was delusional to not have faith :P

Â