Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, DCJonah said:

I know, but why does that mean smith told the players to do it, or that the players have so little respect for him they would ignore him

As I said, could they not have improved? They brought on two players they spent around £55 million on. The miss from El Ghazi, probably gave them a boost. 

I just don't buy the idea that we should be able to dictate how a game plays out for 90 minutes. Not many teams in this league manage that. 

If they have so little respect for him I'd sack him now. Unless of course we sack every player. We dropped off. Hourihane barely made a tackle. Everton were off the pace until we allowed them to be. Doesn't matter how much a player costs if you give him space then you're likely to get hurt.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

That would have been madness to sack him after promotion. 

When trying to sign top class players they're not going to want to play for someone they don't know about. Southampton did a similar move with Adkins albeit later on in the season.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 4

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

When trying to sign top class players they're not going to want to play for someone they don't know about.

I don't disagree. But I also don't think we'd attract a top manager and I'm not top players would have joined anyway. 

To sack him after he achieved his target, a season earlier than the club probably realistically thought, would be crazy. I'm not sure actions like that would attract big name managers. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

That may well be true. But if he is told, there is nakamaba or another average/poor midfield player that we can afford and attract then what is he meant to say? I highly doubt Smith was turning down top quality players so that trezeguet can play week in week out. 

I'm sure he is involved but purslow made it quite clear that suso and the recruitment team identify and find the players. Smith isn't going to turn players down when the squad needs rebuilding. 

Who did suso sign last year?

This x1000. It’s not like he was offered Willian and Trez and decided on Trez. I don’t get why these scenarios are so hard to grasp. 99% of a managers job is managing the first team. What would be the point of having an entire sporting department if Smith did all the other work equally?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Well it’s not impossible. In the last 2-3 seasons we’ve all seen Nuno, Benitez and Bielsa managing championship teams. All top class managers.

Nuno wasn't coming without Mendes and Rafa came down with Newcastle.

Bielsa shows it can be done but he's a very odd character, normally a guy like that isn't coming to the Championship. It'll be so hard to attract a manager that much of a sure thing.

47 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

IMO Purslow has a lot to answer for. He should have pulled the trigger when we got promoted. Dean Smith has a ceiling and I don't think he will be a top premier League manager.

However I would love to be proven wrong by him as I have longed to see villa managed by a villa fan leading us to the league title during my life time.

We had the shortest transfer window for a team in Premier League history. New manager would have had to come in with a new backroom staff wasting probably 2 weeks of the window and still work with Suso transfer options

Edited by Zatman

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

You're right. We should clearly be a team that doesn't concede many, creates chances and scores goals. 

Disgrace that we aren't doing everything right with the players we have available. 

Moan at the manager, stat proves you wrong, move onto the next thing.

What stat proves me wrong? The chances created? We have the second best goals for of the bottom 8.
The inability to hold onto a lead has proved the biggest issue this season and that is down to the manager and his shocking in game management. 

• Like 2

Because of all the bad luck we've been through we've had to start from scratch again, football has changed so much while we have been downfalling. It's going to take us a very long time to learn from our actions and we will make mistakes along the way. If our Owners are as ambitious as they say they are then we are only set back by a few years if we're set back at all given they said this was a five year plan to be established back as a premier outfit. By those words you would expect us on our return in next season or two (providing that happens) to of start making much better signings and coaching in much better ways. Can't get everything right at once, we have failed and we noticed where we've failed at least I hope so and we can now start to correct those mistakes, if we don't then we will be nothing more than a memory in football as a club, team and fan base.

The time to start correcting mistakes and learning from there is an on going process unfortunately and can't be done over night. Let's face it we need to get rid of the mistakes and that includes anyone who signed bad players, I think it starts there the learning.

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

IMO Purslow has a lot to answer for. He should have pulled the trigger when we got promoted. Dean Smith has a ceiling and I don't think he will be a top premier League manager.

However I would love to be proven wrong by him as I have longed to see villa managed by a villa fan leading us to the league title during my life time.

I think we all want to be proved wrong, those of us who was sceptical.

34 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Nuno wasn't coming without Mendes and Rafa came down with Newcastle.

Bielsa shows it can be done but he's a very odd character, normally a guy like that isn't coming to the Championship. It'll be so hard to attract a manager that much of a sure thing.

3 good examples and the excuses still sought.

• Haha 1

Smith didn't change his midfielders. 

We didn't have the legs to compete with Ancelotti's changes. Midfield were exhausted.

Smith only used 2/5 available subs. McGinn and Hourihane should have been replaced with Nakamba and Lansbury around the 75th minute imo.

Yeah you can say McGinn and Hourihane are better players, but fully rested players is often a better option than tired players.

He just isn't very good at in game management. He is very basic.

Edited by villalad21

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

3 good examples and the excuses still sought.

Sought? They are facts sir.

Nuno wasn't coming without Mendes and Rafa came down with Newcastle, he wasn't joining a Championship team otherwise.

Yes, we should have sacked Bruce and got Bielsa in though. That would have been brilliant.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Nuno wasn't coming without Mendes and Rafa came down with Newcastle, he wasn't joining a Championship team otherwise.

Yes, we should have sacked Bruce and got Bielsa in though. That would have been brilliant.

I haven't been knighted.

they might be facts, but what relevance.....That wasn't the point.

The point was as I understand it, well referenced managers operating in the championship....it was about our ability to attract good staff.

How do we know Nuno, wouldn't come without Mendes....and Biesla come with a bit of a reputation, what he has achieved is not the point, it was his stock that was being discussed.

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

If that was the case people be criticising Bielsa as not doing as great a job as Bruce 😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If that was the case people be criticising Bielsa as not doing as great a job as Bruce 😂

Whoever followed Bruce was always going to be in the firing line.

The next manager will get a reprieve, Smith had a tough deal following that shyster.

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

I haven't been knighted.

they might be facts, but what relevance.....That wasn't the point.

The point was as I understand it, well referenced managers operating in the championship....it was about our ability to attract good staff.

How do we know Nuno, wouldn't come without Mendes....and Biesla come with a bit of a reputation, what he has achieved is not the point, it was his stock that was being discussed.

And you never will be with that attitude.

Oh no, not Wolves again.

On 23/06/2020 at 00:33, Tomaszk said:

Mendes brought Nuno in. Did you know Nuno was his first ever client as a player? Their relationship goes back a very long way.

Mendes brought Nuno in. Mendes brought the players in.

Mendes brought Nuno in.

You can't compare us to Wolves. They have Mendes, we don't.

Their success has all come from Mendes, nowhere else.

I would love to appoint a top manager. I hope we do.

If we can't find one, or don't look hard enough, Smith stays. Hope he retains the support of our fans.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

The next manager will get a reprieve, Smith had a tough deal following that shyster.

which I still dont get, could understand people not liking the managers after MON for example but Bruce I completely dont understand.

21 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Totally disagree. Smith has been massively backed by fans for the most part!

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Totally disagree. Smith has been massively backed by fans for the most part!

Yes sir. Brought back the crowds as well! We were pretty much on course to sell out every game this season and had 8,000 waiting for the pleasure of having a season ticket.

That's what happens when you play some attractive stuff.

• Like 1

Â