Dean Smith

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, Jareth said:

No I suppose winning promotion in your first season in charge is the opposite of proven...

Beating the wonderful, marvelous Bielsa to that promotion last year too.

• Like 1

On the TV just they were talking about the drink breaks. The drunken Portuguese waiter said they were a tactical opportunity to discuss possibilities

I dont think Dean spoke to our players in the last one against Manure

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Winning promotion = crap. Ok hon! 

Didn't say the achievement was crap.

A lot of mediocre managers has achieved promotion through the play offs.

Won't achieve automatic promotion under Smith. That's the problem.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jareth said:

No I suppose winning promotion in your first season in charge is the opposite of proven...

It was a achievement maybe, don't think he is proven yet. Winning the play offs with no doubt the best team in the Championship should really be expected.  Didn't really see any Premier League teams come calling for his signature when we got promoted.

Just had a look out of curiosity and in the last ten seasons the following managers came up through the play-offs Ian Holloway twice, Brendan Rodgers, Sam Allardyce, Harry Redknapp, Alex Neil, Steve Bruce, David Wagner, Slaviša Jokanović, and Dean Smith... Most of them have or have had a pretty good standing in the game.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

It was a achievement maybe, don't think he is proven yet. Winning the play offs with no doubt the best team in the Championship should really be expected.  Didn't really see any Premier League teams come calling for his signature when we got promoted.

What PL jobs were available in the summer? I don't recall many.

I don't think you can say we had the best team in the championship, not when he took over. We didn't have a back 4 worthy of top half let alone the best. 

Promotion is only maybe an achievement? If Bielsa came in and took us up through the playoffs next season, it would be seen as a massive achievement on here. I don't get why Smith can't be credited for anything but battered for everything?!?!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Just had a look out of curiosity and in the last ten seasons the following managers came up through the play-offs Ian Holloway twice, Brendan Rodgers, Sam Allardyce, Harry Redknapp, Alex Neil, Steve Bruce, David Wagner, Slaviša Jokanović, and Dean Smith... Most of them have or have had a pretty good standing in the game.

Can you, because I can't be arsed, have a look at how those sides got on? And if any of those managers kept their team up or kept their job?

And also, in before the abuse of smith not having a good standing within the game or, in answer to my questions above, Smith got his team relegated. 🙄

Edited by Mjvilla

Not sure what you're talking about, I just said that those managers have or have had a good standing in the game, in response to the idea that it's mostly medicore managers that have come up through the play-offs, I didn't say anything about how they did with the teams that they got promoted.

44 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I think this is more to do with I think he wishes he has about 5 jack's to play in numerous positions rather than 1 jack and the rest shite.

There can't be a complaint that it was jack and jack only that got us up, but then Smith doesn't know how to get the best out of him. That's not fair. 

Can't keep battering Smith from all angles because eventually they start contradicting one another.

I’m not quite sure I follow. Jack is an exceptional talent but as every game goes by he seems to be playing in a different position.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m not quite sure I follow. Jack is an exceptional talent but as every game goes by he seems to be playing in a different position.

A bit of an exaggeration, he can play in midfield, in the hole or wide forward.  That’s not unusual for players like Jack to move between those places to suit the situation/team.  You may not agree with how Smith utilises him but it’s not as if he’s been playing at left back, he’s been played in positions that his abilities are suited for.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

A bit of an exaggeration, he can play in midfield, in the hole or wide forward.  That’s not unusual for players like Jack to move between those places to suit the situation/team.  You may not agree with how Smith utilises him but it’s not as if he’s been playing at left back, he’s been played in positions that his abilities are suited for.

It’s not usual to play in a different position every week, and turn in progressively worse performances.

• Like 1

I have just read on the bbc that we have conceded the same amount of goals after 34 games as we did the season we were last relegated. Combine that with Smith managing 2 points from ten games, compared to Eric Black getting 1 point from ten games. I am finding it difficult to find an argument to keep Smith on. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in January and still supported him, but the end to the season has ended that for me. 

Edited by NeilS
Typo
  • Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

It’s not usual to play in a different position every week, and turn in progressively worse performances.

but is that all down to Smith or should Jack take some of that burden because he’s the one playing, he’s the talent, he’s the one that can affect the game and he’s not playing out of position really but you say he’s getting progressively worse?

1 minute ago, NeilS said:

I have just read on the bbc that we have conceded the same amount of goals after 34 games as we did the season we were last relegated. Combine that with Smith managing 2 points from ten games, compared to Eric Black getting 1 point from ten games. I am finding it difficult to find an argument to keep Smith on. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in January and still supported him, but the end to the season has ended that great me. 

Don’t be like that, we all think you’re still great 👍😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

but is that all down to Smith or should Jack take some of that burden because he’s the one playing, he’s the talent, he’s the one that can affect the game and he’s not playing out of position really but you say he’s getting progressively worse?

Yes he should share the burden, but the point was that Smith doesn’t seem to know where to play Jack to get the most out of him consistently.

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yes he should share the burden, but the point was that Smith doesn’t seem to know where to play Jack to get the most out of him consistently.

and neither do we on this website because he's had differing performances in the positions he's played and there has been a lot of discussion about his influence in various positions.  From playing in midfield, we asked that he moved more forward and he was put at left forward and then he wasnt in the game enough, then moved back into midfield and that wasnt quite working.  People all have their views on this website but I think none of us know his best/most influential position.  Jack is still learning his craft at this level as well, gets found out a lot, has wonderful moments and games but then disappears some games.  A lot of this is the quality around him as well but I still think Jack has a lot to develop like many quality players until they find their niche and until then managers struggle to find the place for these enigmatic players.  Dean has a lot to answer for but Jack's positioning is way way way down the list.

Â