Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Anything is probably worth ago rather than just carrying on as we are and accepting our fate. Imagine if West Ham and Watford hardly win another game all season, and we look back and think if only we made a chance with four games to go a different manager might have got us the few wins needed to keep us in the league. In all probability a new manager probably won't work now, but it's worth a try.

It could happen any day now - the only thing that would surprise me is if he stays after the west ham game

I don’t believe he has it in him to bring us back up first time of asking. We need a Newcastle season (our first season down there) and no messing around. Maybe he needs the time off also given the sad news he had a few weeks ago too. 
I like the man but the way we approach games now is just asking for a peppering. The approach and lack of intensity for the 2nd half killed it for me today. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hippo said:

If wed gone down fighting and got relegated by goal difference on the last day - Maybe.

But anyone who sits down and does a post mortem will IMO not come to that conclusion - We don't score goals, We don't keep clean sheets, and totally imploded in too many games we found ourselves ahead - but have to see out the game. ( I think 2 of our 7 victories came with very late goals for us ). Dig a bit further, Smiths Brentford  in his last full season lost more points from winning positions than any other in the championship,   

I agree completely, just saying I (sadly) think the board will stick with him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Crikey - I didn't realise that !!! - get that coach a pay rise and a new 4 year deal ....pronto !

How anyone can defend him after this is beyond me. The team is still so disjointed,  but proves now and again they can play a bit of football.  First half until the penalty was all Villa, nice football, then exactly like we do after a goal down the collapse. Then the half time team talk does nothing and we look worse second half playing with our heads down.

I'm not convinced the players are that bad, but I'm more than convinced the manager is.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I agree completely, just saying I (sadly) think the board will stick with him.

Theres always a tendency to think that - a good few people on here thought Remi Garde was dealt a rough hand and would get a chance to build his own team in the championship, Slightly different but Houlier was another who many thought would get more time - and howling horrors we even feared a 2nd Mcleish season. When its up for discussion the manager usually goes.

11 minutes ago, deeps said:

I don’t believe he has it in him to bring us back up first time of asking. We need a Newcastle season (our first season down there) and no messing around. Maybe he needs the time off also given the sad news he had a few weeks ago too. 
I like the man but the way we approach games now is just asking for a peppering. The approach and lack of intensity for the 2nd half killed it for me today. 

I don't want to put the boot in too much - But DS has one promotion to his name - and that via the play offs.

Chris Houghton has 2 and is currently on the dole ! - I think DS is a broken man - both he and villa need a fresh start - I really don't see our promotion prospects dipping if we choose to replace Smith - quite the opposite in fact.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I don't want to put the boot in too much - But DS has one promotion to his name - and that via the play offs.

Chris Houghton has 2 and is currently on the dole ! - I think DS is a broken man - both he and villa need a fresh start - I really don't see our promotion prospects dipping if we choose to replace Smith - quite the opposite in fact.

Chris Houghton is like Smith,to nice.  We need a manager who's got a strong desire to win rather than make everyone happy. 

Fwiw they are rare as rrocking horse shit and we shouldn't be in a rush to get rid of Smith only to pick another similar manager who's going to make the same mistakes.

Stick with Smith until a standout manager becomes available and then do whatever we need to do then.

Grealish will go to Man city, or whoever , if the price is right . The rest will have to stay unless we want them to go. Certain players need to go imo, Nakamba , Trez and Elgahzi are never gonna be good championship players let alone premier League, let them go. Engels, Konsa , Target are good players, the type we need to build a team around .

33 minutes ago, hippo said:

It could happen any day now - the only thing that would surprise me is if he stays after the west ham game

It wouldn't surprise me.

55 minutes ago, kiltorken said:

True, I think he was naive to try play attacking football with the players he has. Major oversight, I think he learned his lesson too late. 

Edit: but there's no way you can legislate for defenders standing off strikers shooting from the edge of the box or players playing suicide balls across the square, doesn't matter what the manager or system is that's basics of defending and a lot of our players simply don't know the basics. 

If they don't know the basics, it matters who the manager is, to ensure they do know.

4 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Dean Smith's teams always get better towards the end of the season...

So we might score and not concede in the 2nd half against West Ham ?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, hippo said:

Chatted with my brother about this tonight. Hughton wouldn't be a bad shout at all if we go down. 

Last I heard Hughton was favorite for the Bristol City job and has apparently stated his interest. I think he's already turned down a few championship teams down as well, so I think that could well happen.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

If they don't know the basics, it matters who the manager is, to ensure they do know.

If they don't know the basics they shouldn't be playing at this level, do you think Ferguson asked Roy keane to close lads down? 

Plenty of arguments against Smith, he wasn't my choice from the beginning but I think he's being unfairly fingered for all our trevails now. 

We have poor players and a manager who's incompetent /learning his trade. 

Â