Dean Smith

Demitri_C

41 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We need to stop comparing ourselves to wolves. Mendes has played a significant role in developing that club. They are an exception not the norm. 

They signed Neves in the championship. Do you really think all championship clubs are capable of doing what they did? 

I'm confused. You said earlier that Sheffield United were an exception. 

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I'm confused. You said earlier that Sheffield United were an exception. 

I think they are as well. Didn't make that clear. 

People are pulling two teams who have done exceptionally well as a stick to bash Dean Smith with. Its ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Easiest thing would be that any players you sign after you are relegated are subject to wage cap.

Yeah that would absolutely need to be part of it. 

But if the EFL want a sustainable wage cap it would still be a huge gap between what their clubs are paying and what the relegated clubs would be coming down with.

The average pay for a first-team squad player was £44k a week last season apparently. Obviously this is fueled by the top clubs paying massive wages to their top players but still.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

People are pulling two teams who have done exceptionally well as a stick to bash Dean Smith with. Its ridiculous. 

People are bashing dean smith on the performances and results of dean smiths team - let’s be clear. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah that would absolutely need to be part of it. 

But if the EFL want a sustainable wage cap it would still be a huge gap between what their clubs are paying and what the relegated clubs would be coming down with.

The average pay for a first-team squad player was £44k a week last season apparently. Obviously this is fueled by the top clubs paying massive wages to their top players but still.

Surely it would make the gap bigger between the 2 leagues and most likely result in the vast majority of promoted teams going straight back down even more so than now 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

Surely it would make the gap bigger between the 2 leagues and most likely result in the vast majority of promoted teams going straight back down even more so than now 

Yeah absolutely. I think a wage cap is a terrible idea in football.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

What exactly would you expect him, or any other manager, to say?? 

How about, `That was fu@king unacceptable. Anyone playing like that in our next game will get my toe up his arse.''

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Good to see Matt law of the daily telegraph calling purslow and Suso also into question over their handling of things too - long overdue 

The thing is i think its harsh to dismiss purslow. His first appointment got us promoted. Ok he has been garbage pl level and maybe should have axed hin sooner.  Bit silly to give him a new contract to.

I think suso is more high risk. If he goes we should be trying to get brentfords back room scouting team. They have a unbelievable success rate.

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The thing is i think its harsh to dismiss purslow. His first appointment got us promoted. Ok he has been garbage pl level and maybe should have axed hin sooner.  Bit silly to give him a new contract to.

I think suso is more high risk. If he goes we should be trying to get brentfords back room scouting team. They have a unbelievable success rate.

Wouldn’t mind Thomas frank too 

33 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But then its not the clubs fault if they can't match YOUR expectations. 

You think we are capable of it, not sure on what basis. Wolves have done an incredible job. 

I said it earlier, us not being happy because we aren't matching Wolves, would be like mid table teams unhappy they didn't challenge for the title when Leicester won it. These teams are exceptions, not the norm. 

Wolves were bought at a similar time to us, play in the same area, comparisons to them are valid. Their owners have been ruthless, they got rid of Zenga and then Lambert because they weren't delivering what they wanted, then went all out to get Nuno and he has delivered them instant results and brought in top class players. During the same period we've shown blind loyalty to 2 managers (Bruce and Smith) despite it being clear that they're not good enough for where we as a club are looking to go.

Leicester and Wolves both got rich owners who had a plan and delivered on them. It's incredible what they'e done but not at all beyond our reach to achieve what they have, particularly when both have been in League 1 recently. 

• Like 1

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

Wolves were bought at a similar time to us, play in the same area, comparisons to them are valid. Their owners have been ruthless, they got rid of Zenga and then Lambert because they weren't delivering what they wanted, then went all out to get Nuno and he has delivered them instant results and brought in top class players. During the same period we've shown blind loyalty to 2 managers (Bruce and Smith) despite it being clear that they're not good enough for where we as a club are looking to go.

Leicester and Wolves both got rich owners who had a plan and delivered on them. It's incredible what they'e done but not at all beyond our reach to achieve what they have, particularly when both have been in League 1 recently. 

You keep ignoring Mendes like he had nothing to do with wolves.  Look at the players they signed, has any championship team ever signed that level of talent? Hey, if you think we should be matching them then thats on you but if you're going to get angry at the club for not doing it, then be prepared to be angry for a good while. 

I highly doubt Leicester's owners planned to win the league the season after barely surviving. They did an incredible job of recruiting talent. How many teams have been able to do similar? Again, wanting us to do this is fine. Expecting us to and being angry that we didn't is a bit ridiculous. 

It seems that Dean Smith is here to stay.

Championship here we come.

We give the ball away too often, we concede too many chances, and we lack aggression. Those are the 3 fundamental reasons we find ourselves where we are.

The team is not good enough, that’s obvious to see but we are not even competitive, and it’s been getting worse game by game.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Wolves were bought at a similar time to us, play in the same area, comparisons to them are valid.

Incredibly misleading.

They were bought at the same time Xia bought us, not NSWE. Ie They have owned Wolves for 4 years, NSWE have owned us for 2.

20 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

It seems that Dean Smith is here to stay.

Championship here we come.

We give the ball away too often, we concede too many chances, and we lack aggression. Those are the 3 fundamental reasons we find ourselves where we are.

The team is not good enough, that’s obvious to see but we are not even competitive, and it’s been getting worse game by game.

This , we are getting worse . Its reminds me of when we went down.  Something is missing from the team, i think its character is all wrong , we have too many players who just don't care enough to bust a gut, they have given up .

I like Dean and I hold my hands up as I was one of the first to say that he would be a good choice of manager for Villa, based on Brentford's style of play and the fact that he was decent guy who loved Villa.

Sadly I have to say that Dean has come up short, and has found the job of Villa manager too big for him. I could list things that he has failed to come to grips with, but that would be a waste of time as they have been repeatedly highlighted on this forum.

Suso is equally culpable of failing to understand the demands of the Premier League with the players he's scouted and signed.

We are probably going to be relegated due to our lack of Premier League knowledge and experience which is really disappointing. "Luck" is now the only chance we have of avoiding the drop.

We have to learn from this bizarre season, or we will be perpetually trapped in a cycle of brief excitement and prolonged frustration. 

I actually enjoyed most of our time in the Championship, and as we are nowhere near ready to compete in the PL, I shall support whatever next season brings.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

You keep ignoring Mendes like he had nothing to do with wolves.  Look at the players they signed, has any championship team ever signed that level of talent? Hey, if you think we should be matching them then thats on you but if you're going to get angry at the club for not doing it, then be prepared to be angry for a good while. 

I highly doubt Leicester's owners planned to win the league the season after barely surviving. They did an incredible job of recruiting talent. How many teams have been able to do similar? Again, wanting us to do this is fine. Expecting us to and being angry that we didn't is a bit ridiculous. 

My expectations are actually pretty low, right now I'd take playing boring football and being midtable for a few years in the Prem if it meant not having to worry about getting promoted/relegated every season which seems to have been the way for 10 years now. 

Your point about Mendes could be attributed to Suso. He was supposed to do a similar job for us and has failed miserably. 

I don't think it is ridiculous to highlight clubs who are doing things right like Leicester and Wolves and not want us to be run in a similar fashion. But you probably wrongly think they are bigger clubs than us.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

People over exaggerate the profile of the players that Mendes has brought to Wolves, especially when they were in the championship, most of them weren't getting games at their previous clubs, Neves had only played 626 minutes of league football for Porto, he wasn't injured as he was on the bench most game, Boly had only made seven league appearances for Porto in the last two seasons, Vinagre had only played for Monaco's youth team, Cavaleiro had only made thirteen appearances for Monaco in two seasons, Jota was the one tha was getting games at Porto on loan from Atlético Madrid, and it surprised me when they managed to sign him.

So it wasn't as if they were signing superstars, they managed to find a bunch of talented players that weren't getting much game time and improve them with good coaching from Nuno. If you imagine a scenario in which Mendes never went to Wolves, then most of them are players that we could have signed as championship club if we'd have had the wherewithall to do so, same for Newcastle.

5 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

My expectations are actually pretty low, right now I'd take playing boring football and being midtable for a few years in the Prem if it meant not having to worry about getting promoted/relegated every season which seems to have been the way for 10 years now. 

Your point about Mendes could be attributed to Suso. He was supposed to do a similar job for us and has failed miserably. 

I don't think it is ridiculous to highlight clubs who are doing things right like Leicester and Wolves and not want us to be run in a similar fashion. But you probably wrongly think they are bigger clubs than us.

Neither do I. Getting angry because we haven't done it in less than a full season back in the league is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Jonah, tell me what you think of this. I was in my chemist talking about the game when one of the lads mentioned something John Barnes said, he couldn't understand why our defenders constantly defend in the six yard box. And it's true, they do always seem to be further deep then other defences, which is probably the reason why so many teams seem to stroll their way to our end of the pitch.

I really want the manager to sort this out, but yesterday, their really seemed to be something amiss in that performance. For the first time I felt like the manager was losing his way.

Â