Dean Smith

Demitri_C

On 18/06/2020 at 11:33, Zatman said:

I think Smith deserves credit because we made Sheffield United look very average yesterday. They had very little attacking ideas

I think they looked average because they are average. Wouldn't surprise me if they went down next year. They don't have any really good players, they are just a well organised team riding the momentum of promotion and a good start to the season. I have no doubt they would have fallen down the league had C-19 not come along. We've seen it plenty of times before with sides in their first season in the premier league. In their second season they get found out.  It was a winnable game and we didn't win it, which is very worrying given our fixture list.

Next step to make Chelsea look as average. They haven't beaten any of Bournemouth, Brighton or Newcastle away in 2020 so it is possible and we have 90 minutes match fitness compared to them.

Will be a good test of DS to see if he can come up with a system to nulify their attackers. It is possible as those results show.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Next step to make Chelsea look as average. They haven't beaten any of Bournemouth, Brighton or Newcastle away in 2020 so it is possible and we have 90 minutes match fitness compared to them.

Will be a good test of DS to see if he can come up with a system to nulify their attackers. It is possible as those results show.

Would be nice if that extra 90 mins for us aids us in a win against chelsea.

I fear we will be seeing Tammy in the lineup and he has this knack for goals if he plays. 

2 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Would be nice if that extra 90 mins for us aids us in a win against chelsea.

I fear we will be seeing Tammy in the lineup and he has this knack for goals if he plays. 

Yes that will be a problem. He wouldn't have played against us on March 14th as he had ankle trouble along with another 3-4 regulars.

Chelsea this season have had no problem beating teams who come out and have a go at them. Games where they struggle are ones when teams just sit in and wait for them to concede a cheap goal from a cross. West Ham, Bournemouth and Southampton all beat them at Stamford Bridge in December and we only lost 2-1 despite being dominated so that is the template.

Seems Dean Smith always seems to think we can come out flying and go 2 or 3 up in these games when that rarely happens, Spurs game was a textbook example of that. We started really well, were on top but missed countless chances at 1 up and then Spurs came more into things when our intensity levels dropped and scored twice out of nothing.

At least v Sheffield we showed we could be more conservative and grind out a point. Need more of that grit in the run in.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Me too.

He said they've been working on the defensive side of the game for the past weeks and it was much improved. So fair play I say.

What i cannot for the life of me understand is why haven't this been addressed much, much sooner?

Better late than never.

On 18/06/2020 at 12:36, OxfordVillan said:

Absolutely this. I’ve seen so many comments saying we missed an opportunity to beat an under par, poor Sheffield Utd. Odd, isn’t it, that they’ve been great all season against everyone else but we play them the one time they’re apparently rubbish. It couldn’t possibly be that we got it nearly spot on, tactically?! Had it not been for their GK and poor officiating we could have won that game 3-1, maybe 4-1. Nyland had one header from a corner to save, apart from that Sheffield Utd didn’t have a pop at goal. 

• Henderson is amongst the best, I have seen all season....he had a blinder.
  • Sheff Utd have been playing like that most of the season and just nicking goals......they are proficient at grinding out, we did well.
  • Villa deserve credit for nullifying them....no doubt in my mind.
  • 2 teams cancelling each other out...one 19th and one 5th.....seems good to me.
  • that could be one of the hardest games in the run in...their style doesn't suit us and we dealt with them well.....good away team.
Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Me too.

He said they've been working on the defensive side of the game for the past weeks and it was much improved. So fair play I say.

What i cannot for the life of me understand is why haven't this been addressed much, much sooner?

you are heading for a most liked content on the day......😀

what a turn up for the book.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

you are heading for a most liked content on the day......😀

what a turn up for the book.

I'm not always negative, shame most people don't realize that.

We've been terrible for most of the season and that will influence my views and thoughts.

Sheffield United was a very good performance so i will give credit and be more positive.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SuffolkVillan said:

Also increases our chance of scoring

Not necessarily .

Removing a midfielder could make us lose the midfield battle and getting the grips of a game. You could end up losing creativity. Playing 4-4-2 and let's say play Luiz and McGinn in midfield you'll lose the creativity of Hourihane. Also gives McGinn more defensive duties which will limit him in the final third.

Most teams use 3 midfielders because games are generally won in midfield.

Edited by villalad21

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Must admit I'm enjoying whoever has stolen VillaLad's login in last 24 hours. Pretty much giving daggers to anyone still predicting relegation.

Good to see.

Dont go and Jinx it now.

You've all seen seen the exorcist right??

I wouldn't rule our Borja making an impact, he's a decent player and has actually proven himself at an higher level than Davis and Samatta, not saying I'd play him ahead  of those two but he's there if we need him. One swallow doesn't make a summer, clean sheet against a out of practice Sheffield United, lets not overrate them, lets see how we get on aganist Chelsea defensively, need to start winning games.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Not necessarily .

Removing a midfielder could make us lose the midfield battle and getting the grips of a game.

Most teams use 3 midfielders because games are generally won in midfield.

I would't lose any midfielders, I would have no wingers so:

Reina

Guilbert      Engels/Konza       Mings      Targett

McGinn       Luiz       Hourihane

Grealish

Samatta                       Davis

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SuffolkVillan said:

I would't lose any midfielders, I would have no wingers so:

Reina

Guilbert      Engels/Konza       Mings      Targett

McGinn       Luiz       Hourihane

Grealish

Samatta                       Davis

Too of a demanding job for the fullbacks.

Don't think they are good enough. It would not work imo

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Too of a demanding job for the fullbacks.

Don't think they are good enough. It would not work imo

Everyone has their own opinion but mine is that our wingers are frankly useless so tactics could be implemented to make sure Luiz and one other of the 3 mids holds back when full backs bomb forward. With Jack in behind 2 mobile strikers we could be a threat.

Just now, SuffolkVillan said:

Everyone has their own opinion but mine is that our wingers are frankly useless so tactics could be implemented to make sure Luiz and one other of the 3 mids holds back when full backs bomb forward. With Jack in behind 2 mobile strikers we could be a threat.

El Ghazi had a great cross to Keinan which should have been a goal and assist. He should of had a penalty and i thought he looked dangerous at times.

I also though Jack caused them some problems on the other wing.

We looked good on Wednesday. No need to change what ain't broke.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I'm not always negative, shame most people don't realize that.

We've been terrible for most of the season and that will influence my views and thoughts.

Sheffield United was a very good performance so i will give credit and be more positive.

I'm only kidding.

I enjoy most of your posts....don't always agree, like vice versa....but usually see where you are coming from.

I am like you, I am positive or negative as I see things.

1 hour ago, useless said:

I wouldn't rule our Borja making an impact, he's a decent player and has actually proven himself at an higher level than Davis and Samatta, not saying I'd play him ahead  of those two but he's there if we need him. One swallow doesn't make a summer, clean sheet against a out of practice Sheffield United, lets not overrate them, lets see how we get on aganist Chelsea defensively, need to start winning games.

but equally, we can't rate them......and as soon as they play us, find fault in their play.

They have played like that all season......we give them no quarter and nullified them....bully for us.

Â