Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, OxfordVillan said:

Chris Wilder has been at Sheffield Utd since 2016, that team and their style of play has been built over 4 seasons, out of the spotlight. They won promotion from the championship at the 2nd attempt in Wilders 3rd season. 
Dean Smith has been at Villa since October 2018. He arrived at a club in turmoil, both on & off the pitch. A big club with big expectation in the country’s 2nd City. The team was underperforming and sat in 12th position in the league after what looked a favourable opening 11 fixtures. The teams star player, Jack Grealish, hadn’t performed well in the opening games and the team then lost him to injury for 3months. Many of the rest of the team were ageing, entering the final year of contracts, or on loan. That team went on to set a club record of successive wins, and win promotion via a playoff final. A huge summer rebuild of the squad had to take place, huge player turnover. And of those players very few had any Premier League experience at all, that was a policy left with Suso. That was the criteria. We currently sit in 19th position with a game in hand, 3pts from 16th position, been to a league cup final. 10 games left to play. And that’s having lost our No.1 Goalkeeper, our record signing player, and the fans player of the season from midfield. 

But you keep telling yourself how much better it should be, how we shouldn’t be struggling having signed no established Premier League outfield players, being the 5th best championship league team last season, and not having last seasons leading scorer to call upon. Or one half of the CB pairing that won promotion. You’re actually so dense that it beggars belief, you’re a clown. 

I'm not talking about style. I'm talking about fight and desire.

The basic ingredient for success. If you don't have that your done for. Doesn't matter if you had your team for 1, 3 or 5 seasons. If you can't get them motivated and working you got no chance.

Too many times this season i've seen us being outfought. Our opponent wanting it more and that hurts to see.

Even if they actually turn up for these next 10 games i still think we'll get relegated. Because i think Smith's system and tactics are flawed with this level of players. If Dean can change and adapt to win games in a different way then he will have my respect.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, useless said:

I don't think it really matters what people's expectations were on here with regards to whether Smith keeps his job or not, what matters is the expectation of those running the club, and given that Purslow explicitly stated in a clear and detailed manner, leaving no room for confusion or doubt, before the season started that we've noappetite to be a club that just makes up the numbers or to be involved in a relegation battle, then I'd say that gives you an indication as to what the expectations were, I think at the very least Smith has to keep us up.

It's not just about this season either, our owners have ambitions for us to be doing much better than we're currently doing, so will want Smith to show signs that he's the Head Coach that can help the club realize those ambitions. There's still more than a quarter of the season left to go for us though, so it's all still up in the air, depending on how we do in those final ten games the season once over could be a massive failure, or a success.

Purslow was full of bravado and another word beginning with B after the euphoria of going up imo. Was shaking my head when he was declaring we weren't going to bother with the loan market which we backtracked on in January and many clubs above us have no problem with using. Sheffield United know they have next to no chance of signing Dean Henderson permanently but he's helping them reach new heights and it will be worth it big time if they make europe so that's one example of a club using it very well.

I expected a relegation battle this summer, my prediction in August was 14th place on 42 points after all. If we're going to stay up we won't be far off that points total. What I was hoping for more was us having a season like Southampton or Newcastle, always keeping above the bottom 3 and stringing wins together when we needed to. Still time for that to happen but we're cutting it fine now.

Long term I agree the board won't want to be fighting relegation battles every year for the next five so eventually we will need a more ruthless mindset with managers and recruitment of players. Interested how long that takes.

• Like 1

Our only hope is someone testing positive tonight and Smith puts the whole squad in 14 days self isolation.

This would show true leadership and a survive at all costs mentality.

He should procure a covid testing kit from relatives of Mbwana Samatta

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

This isn't Wigan Athletic. We have wealthy owners who have invested a lot of money.

With bigger clubs comes bigger expectations.

- I didn't expect us to be the worst defensive side in the league. Conceding on average 2 goals per game

- I didn't expect us getting outfought most weeks. Wilder keeps his players motivated and they bleed their hearts out every week. Why don't we? Why don't we put in more of a fight?

- I didn't expect us not being able to string together more than a couple of passes. This to me indicates there's a problem with the coaching.

If you honestly think he's done a good job this season so far i really don't know what to say to you.

The reason why more fight has not been put in, is because they don't feel the level of importance or focus.....it doesn't appear to be a priority, with Dean.....like he is not really a results man,either.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

Chris Wilder has been at Sheffield Utd since 2016, that team and their style of play has been built over 4 seasons, out of the spotlight. They won promotion from the championship at the 2nd attempt in Wilders 3rd season. 
Dean Smith has been at Villa since October 2018. He arrived at a club in turmoil, both on & off the pitch. A big club with big expectation in the country’s 2nd City. The team was underperforming and sat in 12th position in the league after what looked a favourable opening 11 fixtures. The teams star player, Jack Grealish, hadn’t performed well in the opening games and the team then lost him to injury for 3months. Many of the rest of the team were ageing, entering the final year of contracts, or on loan. That team went on to set a club record of successive wins, and win promotion via a playoff final. A huge summer rebuild of the squad had to take place, huge player turnover. And of those players very few had any Premier League experience at all, that was a policy left with Suso. That was the criteria. We currently sit in 19th position with a game in hand, 3pts from 16th position, been to a league cup final. 10 games left to play. And that’s having lost our No.1 Goalkeeper, our record signing player, and the fans player of the season from midfield. 

But you keep telling yourself how much better it should be, how we shouldn’t be struggling having signed no established Premier League outfield players, being the 5th best championship league team last season, and not having last seasons leading scorer to call upon. Or one half of the CB pairing that won promotion. You’re actually so dense that it beggars belief, you’re a clown. 

That line I have highlighted is a weak argument and miserably dismissive to Chris Wilder.

Its what he has done with that time, is the significant thing and moreover, its the path he has paved thats the key.....its what he has set out to do that is crucial.....He has a 52% win ratio with his team which is a very powerful statement....winning plenty of games in all 3 divisions.....his overall is 44.7% in nearly 900 games, the man is a winner......and it shows.

Look, he may hit the rocks along the way, they might stumble, but IMO he has gone about it in the right way......Sheff Utd have been an "also ran" club for years. The reason Chris Wilder has developed a team that is hard to beat, first and foremost and built on it,  because that is what he set out to do, He has applied the right format for success and I hope he does it, because he deserves it......The others before him have failed, because they didn't do the important things right.

many managers have spent time at clubs and done jack ****......and if you doubled that time, it would still be jack ****......time on its own gives you nothing, its what you do with that time, that counts.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, TRO said:

That line I have highlighted is a weak argument and miserably dismissive to Chris Wilder.

Its what he has done with that time, is the significant thing and moreover, its the path he has paved thats the key.....its what he has set out to do that is crucial.....He has a 52% win ratio with his team which is a very powerful statement....winning plenty of games in all 3 divisions.....his overall is 44.7% in nearly 900 games, the man is a winner......and it shows.

Look, he may hit the rocks along the way, they might stumble, but IMO he has gone about it in the right way......Sheff Utd have been an "also ran" club for years. The reason Chris Wilder has developed a team that is hard to beat, first and foremost and built on it,  because that is what he set out to do, He has applied the right format for success and I hope he does it, because he deserves it......The others before him have failed, because they didn't do the important things right.

many managers have spent time at clubs and done jack ****......and if you doubled that time, it would still be jack ****......time on its own gives you nothing, its what you do with that time, that counts.

The bit I have highlighted is, essentially, you agreeing that time helps. Which is what I said. Wilder has BUILT since 2016 with no major player turnovers to contend with. He’s been able to add the players that HE wanted, over time. With no big expectations. 
Dean Smith is in a very different position, in a much more demanding club. And thus far he’s doing alright, not outstanding and not dire. We’ve had our struggles but our destiny remains in our own hands. If we don’t see an improvement in the next 10 games then questions can rightfully be asked of the management/coaching. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, screwdriver said:

Our only hope is someone testing positive tonight and Smith puts the whole squad in 14 days self isolation.

What does that even mean?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OxfordVillan said:

The bit I have highlighted is, essentially, you agreeing that time helps. Which is what I said. Wilder has BUILT since 2016 with no major player turnovers to contend with. He’s been able to add the players that HE wanted, over time. With no big expectations. 
Dean Smith is in a very different position, in a much more demanding club. And thus far he’s doing alright, not outstanding and not dire. We’ve had our struggles but our destiny remains in our own hands. If we don’t see an improvement in the next 10 games then questions can rightfully be asked of the management/coaching. 

I agree.

Only if you do the right things, will "time" be relevant.

Klopp needed time, but he too has been doing the right things......RDM wanted time, but the indications are it would have been wasted.

If Dean pursues his philosophy of open football, with disregard for stopping the opposition.....time, will be no help to him, either.

I agree, the next 10 games, will be interesting.....and I would suspect decisions will be made.

I hope he makes it, I really do.

4 hours ago, screwdriver said:

Not sure what that means, but it sounds racist.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

The reason why more fight has not been put in, is because they don't feel the level of importance or focus.....it doesn't appear to be a priority, with Dean.....like he is not really a results man,either.

It's ridiculous to suggest the manager is not instilling a fighting mentality in his players. 

You have interpreted this results and performance comment to suggest winning is not his main priority. He's in a business where winning is the only way you can keep your job . You honestly believe he won't have those players fired up for tomorrow's encounter ? As for them not feeling the importance of the occasion or lacking the necessary focus , I  think the players and manager would be insulted by such a statement. 

You don't win promotion without a winning mentality, I believe the team still possesses that winning mentality and the manager will have drummed into the players that their more than capable of achieving their aim of avoiding the drop. They know what's at stake, let's hope they have the confidence and belief to prove the many doubters wrong.

12 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

It's ridiculous to suggest the manager is not instilling a fighting mentality in his players. 

The evidence is on the pitch.

I think our players look incredibly soft who crumble when the opposition get at them.

We look good against a side like Newcastle that will sit back and let us play. But a team like Sheffield United who will try to bully us and be in our faces, we most times won't relish the fight.

Will be very interesting to see tomorrow, where we are as a team.

Edited by villalad21

29 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The evidence is on the pitch.

I think our players look incredibly soft who crumble when the opposition get at them.

We look good against a side like Newcastle that will sit back and let us play. But a team like Sheffield United who will try to bully us and be in our faces, we most times won't relish the fight.

Will be very interesting to see tomorrow, where we are as a team.

Have you dusted off your pitchfork ? ;)

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Heavy thunderstorms in Brum atm. More forecasted for afternoon/early evening on Wednesday.

After all this time imagine if it gets called off due to a waterlogged pitch!

You can guarantee the road by Witton station will be flooded again so at at least there will be no fans trying to get the ground. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â