Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I remember us playing what look like a back 5 but Konsa was bombing so far forward that he was almost playing wing back and it made no sense. Dean seems to believe we should attack and defend as a team and time and time again we've shown we don't have players who can perform that way.

I remember people getting angry near the start of the season that El Ghazi wasn't tracking back, my thoughts were he is a winger why is he having to track back? It's not in his game either. Some top sides have players who can play anywhere, we don't and we need stop trying to keep playing players in positions/with tactics they can't seem to grasp. 

22 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I remember us playing what look like a back 5 but Konsa was bombing so far forward that he was almost playing wing back and it made no sense. Dean seems to believe we should attack and defend as a team and time and time again we've shown we don't have players who can perform that way.

I remember people getting angry near the start of the season that El Ghazi wasn't tracking back, my thoughts were he is a winger why is he having to track back? It's not in his game either. Some top sides have players who can play anywhere, we don't and we need stop trying to keep playing players in positions/with tactics they can't seem to grasp. 

In terms of El ghazi and tracking back (and other players), if you look at players like Mane, he tracks back and i have seen him diving in to block crosses down by the corner flag, it's nothing about being an attacker or not, it's just players working hard and contributing.

With the athleticism of the modern game there isnt room for shirkers, if 2-4 players aren't working for the team the team suffers big time, because you can guarantee all the 11 on the opposite team are working their socks off (most of the time)

Granted some teams can get away with it (Barcelona/other top teams), but generally even top teams these days dont have the old fashioned "lazy forwards", look at liverpool, on balance one of the top teams in the world right now, and they work their asses off.

It isnt about being a good player, I can forgive any player their limitations, but I cant forgive not working hard for the team.

• Like 2

Would love it this summer if Terry left and we got both Laursen and Mellberg in to support Smith. 

I know being a great player doesn't necessarily make a great coach but I've just got a feeling getting those two back into the villa set up would be immense

7 minutes ago, alexvilla4 said:

Would love it this summer if Terry left and we got both Laursen and Mellberg in to support Smith. 

I know being a great player doesn't necessarily make a great coach but I've just got a feeling getting those two back into the villa set up would be immense

We need a high profile coach.

Messed around with mediocrity for far too long. We've got wealthy owners now. If Newcastle can get Rafa and Leeds can get Bielsa i can't see why we can't get a top tier coach.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We need a high profile coach.

Messed around with mediocrity for far too long. We've got wealthy owners now. If Newcastle can get Rafa and Leeds can get Bielsa i can't see why we can't get a top tier coach.

High profile doesn’t always mean success, we tried it with Gerard Houllier and Remi Garde

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

Well, another week without a win. The lad must be feeling the pressure now. 

Do you want him out? Personally, I think we should stick with him, no point in chopping and changing manager at this stage of the season

4 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Who would you get in to replace him?

Sorry I was being facetious in an attempt to be funny. My bad. 

I couldn’t care less about football right now mate. I just ventured in to on topic out of habit. Hope you’re keeping well. 

edit: I also think sacking Smith at a time like this wouldn’t be the right thing to do either. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Sorry I was being facetious in an attempt to be funny. My bad. 

I couldn’t care less about football right now mate. I just ventured in to on topic out of habit. Hope you’re keeping well. 

edit: I also think sacking Smith at a time like this wouldn’t be the right thing to do either. 

It was a good attempt, it went way over my head though :) so you would stick with Smith then? Is that what you’re saying?

2 hours ago, Tayls said:

Well, another week without a win. The lad must be feeling the pressure now. 

knocked out of the QuaranTeam Cup as well in the first round. Pretty pathetic :P 

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

High profile doesn’t always mean success, we tried it with Gerard Houllier and Remi Garde

Houllier was hospitalized and was released from the job after the season ended. He may or may not have worked if we stuck by him.

It was 100 % the wrong time and place for someone like Garde. The club was complete poisonous at the time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Houllier was hospitalized and was released from the job after the season ended. He may or may not have worked if we stuck by him.

It was 100 % the wrong time and place for someone like Garde. The club was complete poisonous at the time.

I think it’s better than it was now but still not as good as it could be, do you agree?

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

42 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

8 wins in 30 games compared to Smith has 7 in 29. Houllier had a superior squad as well

Was reading an article in the Mail about what happened to the players we let go in the summer and couldn't stop laughing how people wanted us to keep them instead of "doing a Fulham". 3 of them retired from football completely, and only 1 (2 if you count Tammy) out of a dozen is currently playing at a level above Championship level.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Was reading an article in the Mail about what happened to the players we let go in the summer and couldn't stop laughing how people wanted us to keep them instead of "doing a Fulham". 3 of them retired from football completely, and only 1 (2 if you count Tammy) out of a dozen is currently playing at a level above Championship level.

Tammy and Bjarnason I can see as playing in top tier. Axel has barely featured at United.

Adomah, Whelan, Tshihbola and Bjarnason have all had more than 1 club

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Tammy and Bjarnason I can see as playing in top tier. Axel has barely featured at United.

Adomah, Whelan, Tshihbola and Bjarnason have all had more than 1 club

Forgot about Axel, so that's 3. Bjarnason could be playing for Barcelona and he'd still be a dire footballer tbh.

Has Adomah left Forest? 😮 

Â