Dean Smith

Demitri_C

On the one hand I think Smith could have done a little better and I think that could have been achieved by being more consistent with team selections and formations, but as it is that keeps changing from one week to the next and I'm not sure if any of us even know which is our best side at the moment, how that the players are meant to get into any kind of rhythm in those circumstances I'm not sure...

...But on the other hand two points from safety with a game in hand and ten games still to go, isn't the worst position to be in, in fact I haven't checked but I bet twenty-five points would keep us out of the three at this stage most seasons. So I guess it's a case of could have done better, but still doing okay, but then again I could understand if they decided to sack him should we lose to Chelsea because then unfortunately it will become less about what has been and more about what may be.

34 minutes ago, useless said:

If Smith does go, which I still think is unlikely at this stage, there's no way they'd give the job to Terry, he would be seen as part of the problem, only way Terry would remain is if whoever we bring in wanted Terry as his assistant. They'd want someone to save our season but only has ten or less games to do so, that challenge is not going to entrusted to be someone who's never even been a manager.

I think you will find they will ,  I think there are better options then JT but I’d sure as hell prefer him than to stick with smith .

• Like 1

I'm thinking with Terry's passion, we could do alot worse (including keeping Smith until the end of the season) than putting him in charge. I remember the days he was managing Chelsea, I mean Di Matteo was managing Chelsea and they won the Champions League.😆

Just now, foreveryoung said:

I'm thinking with Terry's passion, we could do alot worse (including keeping Smith until the end of the season) than putting him in charge. I remember the days he was managing Chelsea, I mean Di Matteo was managing Chelsea and they won the Champions League.😆

JT needs an experienced assistant but I agree , he could well succeed

Not the best team I agree but one that should be able to be out of the relegation zone.

The issue is our defending such a high line and then playing with wing backs rather than full backs, the midfield you could drive a bus through and our only striker is so isolated.

Better tactics I have no doubt would have gained more points than we have now and so that's down to the manager.

1 hour ago, Elton said:

Lol. How do you know that? You know he is not our manager right? He could be a poor manager, he could be a great manager. We don’t know because he is not yet a manager..

He's part of the problem. As much to blame as Smith, he's part of the coaching staff that is failing. 

• Like 1

Can remember Wolves doing it years back with Terry Connor and they were relegated by Mid April. One that worked was Craig Shakespeare comfortably keeping Leicester up.

Would certainly be an outside candidate, one hopefully that will not just provide a short term Sherwood style boost but then can develop things over next 2-3 seasons.

Mind you we're rubbish at those sorts of appointments so we'll probably go cap in hand to the likes of Neil Warnock and then given the job to John Terry in April.

22 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

3s7ni3.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MikeAVFC said:

He's part of the problem. As much to blame as Smith, he's part of the coaching staff that is failing. 

Based on your logic, you could say Grealish is part of the problem..

If you don’t understand the difference of being in charge and being an assistant then there’s no point in debating this further.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, useless said:

If one of our relegation rivals sacked their manager and replaced him with the assistant we'd wondering what they were playing at, and seeing it as a positive for us.

Haven't Everton done something similar with Ferguson literally this season - and he did quite well? I think Brighton did the same with Potter as well? (Could be wrong)

Ferguson was only Everton manager for a few games, that's not comparable to us giving Terry the manager's job on a full time basis and asking him to save us from relegation. Besides we shouldn't be making managerial appointments based on other managers doing okay elsewhere. Potter came from Swansea.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, useless said:

Ferguson was only Everton manager for a few games, that's not comparable to us giving Terry the manager's job on a full time basis and asking him to save us from relegation. Potter came from Swansea.

Tony Barton did ok taking over for a few games. Plenty of assistants have. There aren’t many assistants with the presence, character and footballing brain of Terry, who all of our players will look upto. 

We could do a lot worse as a punt and if we do sack Smith a replacement for 9/10 games will have to be a bit of a punt.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

Ferguson was only Everton manager for a few games, that's not comparable to us giving Terry the manager's job on a full time basis and asking him to save us from relegation. Besides we shouldn't be making managerial appointments based on other managers doing okay elsewhere. Potter came from Swansea.

What are we supposed to based our managerial appointments on if not their history at other clubs?

To give John Terry the job would an admission that the club has given up. JT really hasn't shown much of anything so far. Assuming that he has some input into how the defence is set up then he has failed.

• Like 1

I meant we shouldn't give the job to Terry just because Ferguson did okay at Everton for a few games, hence the 'we shouldn't be making managerial appointments based on other managers'.

People have been comparing this season to the relegation season, which is ridiculous in my esteemed opinion, but back then we gave the job to an assistant and looked what happened. The main benefit of bringing in a new manager at this stage would be new manager bounce, a new voice with new ideas, you wouldn't get that with JT.

Just now, gurru991 said:

To give John Terry the job would an admission that the club has given up. JT really hasn't shown much of anything so far. Assuming that he has some input into how the defence is set up then he has failed.

Sorry but this kind of logic baffles me. What is an assistant meant to show so far? Only those on the inside at the club will know. If they choose Terry it will be because he has impressed them. 

The defensive issues are due to the team as a whole, not the back 4 or 5 who have to face constant attacks and are tactical/selection/formation issue and the remit of a manager, not an assistant.

1 minute ago, gurru991 said:

I agree. You'd think the following. if his input and coaching were not been listened to and he had the courage of his convictions and thought he was been underappreciated, he'd of walked long ago. He's not short on cash. He has a name in the game. 

2 minutes ago, useless said:

People have been comparing this season to the relegation season, which is ridiculous in my esteemed opinion, but back then we gave the job to an assistant and looked what happened. The main benefit of bringing in a new manager at this stage would be new manager bounce, a new voice with new ideas, you wouldn't get that with JT.

If we get relegated, it will still read we got relegated.

Â