Dean Smith

Demitri_C

16 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Our players are crap.

Tony Pulis will not keep us up. Big Sam will not keep us up.

Whoever we bring in we should be looking at next season coming up from the Championship. Who can do that that would come to us now?

Our players aren't great, sure. But someone with some tactical knowhow at this level gives us a fighting chance. As we are with Smith, we have absolutely zero chance. We have to take a gamble now, surely. Sure, like others, I'm annoyed it's come to the point of having to most likely bring in an old school fire fighter, but it is what it is. The board cannot just sit back and accept relegation when there's still a chance that a change can turn our fortunes around. Purslow, etc. Act now!  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MikeAVFC said:

Our players aren't great, sure. But someone with some tactical knowhow at this level gives us a fighting chance. As we are with Smith, we have absolutely zero chance. We have to take a gamble now, surely. Sure, like others, I'm annoyed it's come to the point of having to most likely bring in an old school fire fighter, but it is what it is. The board cannot just sit back and accept relegation when there's still a chance that a change can turn our fortunes around. Purslow, etc. Act now!  

I keep reading about tactical know how. 

Does tactics make nakamba and luiz stronger and better on the ball? Does it do anything to Engels athleticism or Trezeguet's decision making? 

We have a poor premier league squad. Yes Smith could probably make better decisions, but which players do people think will suddenly improve under a new manager?

2 hours ago, TRO said:

In his present form....he is right.

his deterioration is quite concerning.

when he first came his play was amazing......whats gone wrong?

What made some of the great players the players they were? They never took their talent for granted and always strived to improve where they could. 

Go back to the Man City game at the Etihad, it was his sheer nonchalance that cost us the first goal, same could be said for the Leicester game at Villa Park. Someone once likened him to our dear Paul,all I can say to that is it's a good job the blasphemy laws no longer exist. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Haha 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

I keep reading about tactical know how. 

Does tactics make nakamba and luiz stronger and better on the ball? Does it do anything to Engels athleticism or Trezeguet's decision making? 

We have a poor premier league squad. Yes Smith could probably make better decisions, but which players do people think will suddenly improve under a new manager?

Long term, they probably don't. However, in the short term, a different voice, a manager bounce and a tactical plan at least gives us a fighting chance. The stakes are too high for us not to be sounding out managers now. I love Smith, and have backed him all season. However, enough is enough. It's got to a point where change is simply a must now imo. He's not going to turn this around, and we should not just sit here accepting relegation. Reading people saying they don't want Big Sam, time to put this Villa pride nonsense to one side. Needs must, to stay up. Whatever it takes, then re-evaluate in the summer depending what league we're in. Yes his style is shit, but it's a darn sight better than what we've been watching all season and maybe, just maybe, we might actually start to a see a something resembling an organised team as opposed to the chaos we're currently witnessing. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Did you watch them play ?   , Okacha was far from past his prime   .. Gudjohnsen  left to join Chelsea and gave them 6 seasons  , Anelka also left and gave Chelsea 4 seasons

Allardyce uses sports science and innovative techniques in coaching his teams, such as computerised performance analysis  , a lot of his former players have cited his preparation as his main strength, which allows his teams to have better organisation and defensive stability.

I think i'd take that over zonal marking and the worst defence in the league

Long term , I'd say we would have better options available to us being in the Prem next season than we would in the Championship with Smith  ... I get people are excited by the idea of a young manager improving young players  , but so far we aren't really seeing that improvement , in the team or the players

Someone taking some sense finally. Big Sam gets results and would improve our performances no doubt. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

The players are crap is a complete cop out. 

Look at Sheffield Utd, Burnley, Southampton are there squads really this much better?

A more competent manager could get much more out of these players.

Absolutely. 

Suso is being judged on one season, with one manager. But how can he succeed if the only manager he's worked with is failing to get the best from these players? No matter who we, realistically, signed this season, playing the system we do was going to result in a lot of defeats. 

IMO the reality is that Suso put together a squad more than capable of staying up, but the current coach has failed to do so. 

• Like 1

I have said it before and will say it again and again if I feel the need

Its not working is it (for what ever reason and we can all come up with a different one). We are losing most weeks, letting in goals like god knows what. The team dont seem to care enough.

If nothing changes then obviously nothing will change.  We cant change the players good, bad or inexperienced we have what we have. There is only one thing that we can change if we want the slightest hope of staying up. Change the Manager or Management. Last roll of the dice at least something will change. Something has to change, JT as boss is not my choice but at least it would be a change. I would love to see an 0ffer to Big Sam a big thick wad of 2-5 million  if he keeps us up nothing if he doesn't .  How much do we lose if we go down. do it now bwfore its too late 

• Like 1

I want to stick with Smith for the foreseeable future, I'd be surprised if we were to get a better manager in, even if a replacement could delay relegation. Other managers only bring familiarity with previous success to the table as far as I'm concerned, I'm actually doubtful someone like Big Sam changes the chemistry and performances into an outfit that wins enough games.

4 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

The players are crap is a complete cop out. 

Look at Sheffield Utd, Burnley, Southampton are there squads really this much better?

A more competent manager could get much more out of these players.

Yes, in terms of different things.

Sheffield United - Well drilled players that have been together for multiple seasons under the same manager playing the same way. Individually, their players aren't better, but as a unit, they're much better.

Burnley - Yes, their squad is much better. They can afford much, much higher wages than we can, and they've had the benefit of years in the Premier League to gradually build window after window. A player like Chris Wood who is 'one' of their options, would end up being our only option, because of the rebuild we had to do. They signed Ben Gibson for £15m in 2017, which in the 2019 market would be over £20m. If that was a Villa signing, we'd have been relying on him all season as a starting defender. Whereas, Burnley have a good squad built over many years, and therefore (after coming back from injury) he's barely made a single appearance for them. This clearly shows the difference in squad quality.

Southampton - Yes. See Burnley.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Swansea, Huddersfield and Bournmouth??

Bournemouth are now struggling there knackers off trying to stay up and Swansea and Huddersfield also struggled playing that type of football without the quality. Also to there defence they had or have half decent managers, that realised the players limitations.

Bournemouth now struggling is nothing to do with how they performed the season they first came up. The reason they're struggling now is because they've not built on it properly. Personally, I think part of the problem is that Eddie Howe only really wants to bring in (mostly) British players.

The point, however, that we were talking about, was newly promoted teams being able to play good football to stay up. All of those teams I mentioned (and many more, if anyone wants to look), stayed up playing decent football.

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Yes, in terms of different things.

Sheffield United - Well drilled players that have been together for multiple seasons under the same manager playing the same way. Individually, their players aren't better, but as a unit, they're much better.

Burnley - Yes, their squad is much better. They can afford much, much higher wages than we can, and they've had the benefit of years in the Premier League to gradually build window after window. A player like Chris Wood who is 'one' of their options, would end up being our only option, because of the rebuild we had to do. They signed Ben Gibson for £15m in 2017, which in the 2019 market would be over £20m. If that was a Villa signing, we'd have been relying on him all season as a starting defender. Whereas, Burnley have a good squad built over many years, and therefore (after coming back from injury) he's barely made a single appearance for them. This clearly shows the difference in squad quality.

Southampton - Yes. See Burnley.

Complete and utter nonsense there is no way you can claim these teams are this much better than us. Slightly better maybe but this gulf in quality/points, laughable? Also Burnley's wage bill will be lower than ours. Only point I agree with is that they have had longer to gel together but again that does not excuse the considerable gap in perfomances / points. 

Talk of John Terry taking over baffles and worries me in equal measures. For a start he’s part of the coaching team, almost certainly as a defensive coach, that leaks goals like a sieve. 

He has zero management/head coach experience and we are not in a position to give him time to settle in and learn. 

More concerning, and I have no evidence of this at all, it’s purely a hypothetical theory, has he been undermining DS? I hear he’s very popular with the players and it’s not hard to see how easy it would be to plant doubts in players minds. Could be very subtle, but small things can make a big difference to largely young inexperienced players. He has got form. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Also Burnley's wage bill will be lower than ours. 

From the sources I can find. it's not far off double ours (reportedly).

The average salary per player is much closer. But total wage bill, Burnley's is far more (c23m vs c£41m)

Edited by Stevo985
  • Thanks 3

46 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

What made some of the great players the players they were? They never took their talent for granted and always strived to improve where they could. 

Go back to the Man City game at the Etihad, it was his sheer nonchalance that cost us the first goal, same could be said for the Leicester game at Villa Park. Someone once likened him to our dear Paul,all I can say to that is it's a good job the blasphemy laws no longer exist. 

I must confess.....I was all for him, when he first arrived, quite taken with his dominance......But I have no idea, where his form has gone......He seems reluctant to head the ball and doing a lot of floundering on the floor.

Most concerning.....I have a suspicion, some ego's need checking.

• Like 1

Â