Dean Smith

Demitri_C

10 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Neutral and City fan mates (As well as pundits)saying we played well and we're unlucky.

(Some of) Our owns fans saying we were shite...

I hope your City mates aren't based in Doha as well. I can't believe that would go down too well with the powers that be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

I hope your City mates aren't based in Doha as well. I can't believe that would go down too well with the powers that be.

They used to be, but they've left.

If i'm honest, the "aggression/pettiness" ain't from the Qatar side mate. Regardless of how the media across the borders try to spin it, Doha usually try to be the "bigger man".

You UAE based?

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

They used to be, but they've left.

If i'm honest, the "aggression/pettiness" ain't from the Qatar side mate. Regardless of how the media across the borders try to spin it, Doha usually try to be the "bigger man".

You UAE based?

Nah I'm based in Germany but I know a few people that have worked in both and from what they've said Qatar does seem like the more "civilised" (whatever civilised means these days) of the two. I've no personal experience at all of what it's like. 

My comment was completely in jest.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 1

This will be unpopular, but my team for next game. 

4-2-3-1. Reina, Taylor, Engels, Mings, Guilbert, Nakamba, Luiz, Grealish, Targett, Elmo, Samatta. 

Davis on after 60 mins. 

The further El Ghazi, Trezeguet, Hause and Konsa are from the team, the better. Let’s get back to basics. The defenders need to defend. The wide players need to get the ball into the box at every opportunity because Samatta is extremely sharp. Let Jack do the rest.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

You are Alex McLeish? 

No, I’m recognising that we’re an awful defensive unit and whether we like it or not, we need to start conceding less to have any chance of staying up. 

Like I say, it’s an unpopular opinion but you can’t be 20th in nearly every defensive stat and hope to stay up. 

We have to go back to basics, defend better and then hope Jack, Samatta and McGinn to produce a moment of magic to win a game. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

4-2-3-1. Reina, Taylor, Engels, Mings, Guilbert, Nakamba, Luiz, Grealish, Targett, Elmo, Samatta. 

Davis on after 60 mins. 

The further El Ghazi, Trezeguet, Hause and Konsa are from the team, the better. Let’s get back to basics. The defenders need to defend. The wide players need to get the ball into the box at every opportunity because Samatta is extremely sharp. Let Jack do the rest.

I can see what you are going for.

Elmo and Targett is by far our best crossers of the ball. Samatta is a striker who feeds of crosses, just need to get them to him.

El Ghazi goes missing too much. Trezeguet has turned out to be a terrible signing.

Not saying i'm a big fan of Taylor, but he isn't as bad as VT make him out to be. He did a job on Adama Traore who ran riot with poor Targett. Defensively he's proved he can be solid.

Guilbert also is better defensively than offensively.

Edited by villalad21

15 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Davis on after 60 mins. 

Ok I don't see that as a bad or controversial selection. I mean it is almost the same team as yesterday where we performed very well against one of the best club sides in Europe. My one issue with it is what evidence is their to suggest that Neil Taylor makes us a better team or even better defensively? He's been nothing short of terrible this season.

My side would have someone else in the middle and I'm thinking Hourihane (McGinn when fit), push Grealish to the left (inside/roaming) and stick with Targett at left back. 

40 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Davis on after 60 mins. 

I don’t hate that, I’d like to find away to play Davis with Samatta when fit. Also I’d like to keep Hause in, maybe as left back. No surprise that no Hause and suddenly we’re conceding at corners again. Could’ve been 2 from corners yesterday against a small line up.

The last I checked which was 2019 Taylor was 1st in league for crosses blocked per game. Rubbish going forward but does some things well defensively. That said sometimes he loses his man so they don't need to cross

Edited by Kiwivillan

One of his flaws is his way of making "routine subs"... Granted, it's not like he's blessed with quality on the bench (despite saying so in August) or even on the pitch for that matter, but Trez for Ghazi was not an improvement and that was probably foreseeable. I wish Davis would have come on alongside Samatta, a change of shape might have troubled city's defense (Trez on the other hand troubles out attack). There's hardly ever an element of surprise in his subs. That, and some players he will never sub off, no matter how poor or unfit they look (Mcginn at some stages this season was poor and looked knackered and was playing 90 minutes every game, no matter the result). 

This obviously isn't the main issue at Villa but I find it interesting nonetheless. 

2 minutes ago, WooJung said:

One of his flaws is his way of making "routine subs"... Granted, it's not like he's blessed with quality on the bench (despite saying so in August) or even on the pitch for that matter, but Trez for Ghazi was not an improvement and that was probably foreseeable. I wish Davis would have come on alongside Samatta, a change of shape might have troubled city's defense (Trez on the other hand troubles out attack). There's hardly ever an element of surprise in his subs. That, and some players he will never sub off, no matter how poor or unfit they look (Mcginn at some stages this season was poor and looked knackered and was playing 90 minutes every game, no matter the result). 

This obviously isn't the main issue at Villa but I find it interesting nonetheless. 

His in game management is very basic, but we all know this by now.

At this point all i'm hoping for is a miracle once SJM returns. Can he galvanize us ala Jack last season?

Edited by villalad21

56 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Davis on after 60 mins. 

El Ghazi put the ball in for Samatta yesterday (a perfect cross) and you want to drop him? I know he's inconsistent but there's not many / any better options. Putting Taylor in is a shocker in my opinion. I agree with you about our defence but making it weaker isn't the best idea and you'd also sacrifice any attacking production from the postiion because he's more likely to have a stroke than complete a decent cross.
And just firing crosses in isn't the answer either. Samatta isn't a target man and will rarely have anybody near him. He is sharp, I agree. So work the ball in, mix it up, get players around him to take the heat off him so he can enjoy more space. The odd cross is fine but its not going to work for the vast majority of the time. We'd just get counter attacked.

I'd like to try the team that played yesterday again and incorporate McGinn asap. They won't come up against teams like City every week.Only switch it to 2 up front with Jack in behind if we're chasing a goal - or just to offer something different.

7 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

El Ghazi put the ball in for Samatta yesterday (a perfect cross) and you want to drop him?

I don't trust El Ghazi.

He's so hit and miss it's unbelievable. Only time i've seen him putting a decent run of games together was during our 10 game winning streak and that seem a long time ago now. 

Every time i watch Elmo he seem to put in 1-2 very good crosses every game.

Edited by villalad21

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Davis on after 60 mins. 

You lost me at Taylor.

• Like 1

Given the circumstances you couldn't have really expected much more from us yesterday, we were always going to have to ride our luck and make the best of any that came our way given how much of a better side City are, just a shame we didn't get much of the latter. Unfortunately I'm finding it hard to take the positives I should be out of it because it's just another example of us being a nearly team this season against one of the top sides, when we failed to get results/build on almost getting them vs Arsenal/Spurs/Liverpool etc it gives me less confidence that we can turned yesterdays performance into results going forward.

Hopefully we can though and McGinn's return can spring some more life into us also. We need to get on it quick given the disastrous results around us in the league at the weekend.

2 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Ok I don't see that as a bad or controversial selection. I mean it is almost the same team as yesterday where we performed very well against one of the best club sides in Europe. My one issue with it is what evidence is their to suggest that Neil Taylor makes us a better team or even better defensively? He's been nothing short of terrible this season.

My side would have someone else in the middle and I'm thinking Hourihane (McGinn when fit), push Grealish to the left (inside/roaming) and stick with Targett at left back. 

Hourihane is the nearest thing we have as a clone of the 'invisible man ' when he plays. Also is unbelievably slow .

ATB.

VLD.

33 minutes ago, Graham t said:

Hourihane is the nearest thing we have as a clone of the 'invisible man ' when he plays. Also is unbelievably slow .

ATB.

VLD.

I know that and I'm not saying that he is the answer to all our prayers but he does have an eye for goal and a lot of our wins have come in games where he has been invloved. I get the concerns surrounding him but we struggle with or without him.

Watch the spell after he comes on against Southampton, we start to do something, more than we had been doing at least. He doesn't show a lot of that when he starts though. Maybe he's better against tiring teams. But his involvement in our good play throughout the season makes me think he should be involved more.

• Like 1

It baffles me how good we play against these top teams, then we completely drop ourselves against teams we should beat. We need points now that final is gone. The only way to get these points is by moving on from the city game, by sorting out our formation knuckling down, get tough and take it to them and grind the wins out.

I know while the game was playing and if mentioned we should drop the Wingers and got met with a couple of (what) responses. The couple of replys basically said they have hit us on the flanks and while that maybe true in a sense, the ball wasn't played out to there flanks until they had driven through the center to the point they were at our 18 yard box. The ball wasn't played from there defence left side and right sides all down the flanks, they came through us down our center through most of there pushing. I am still saying we should drop our Wingers or at most bring them more central, we are not compressed enough and the gaps being exposed are unreal at times. Our wingers for most of the game couldn't be brought into play and we ourselves have players on the wings who could be doing more damage centrally. It's also not as if our wingers can't push out wide, it's that I just don't think us being wide to begin with is helping us.

I felt the changes we made through subs affected city, I also feel that if we'd of had better quality this was a game we could of won. Apart from VAR not getting involved on a poor decision we really should of drew at full time. Things do not seem to be working out for us on the pitch do they and it doesn't help that we keep whacking the ball straight at keepers, it's been happening all season and we need to improve on shot placement and quickly.

Our passing for most part was on point, what we did screw up over was that corner and with our tall defenders we really should of done better there.

I can't see an end to the mistakes we make, were at a point now that we so desperately need some clean sheets, which is a tall order, having JT should of got us some clean sheets, so I ask what is it he is doing in his job for us. Not many games left and all we can do is watch and pray as this is the most toughest season I think I've ever watched because nothing is a clear picture yet. 

Edited by Dave-R

Â