Dean Smith

Demitri_C

There was a video at the start of the season where DS talked about going to places like Man City/Liverpool and going toe to toe. He said “I know people will think I am mad but that’s what I believe”. I thought at the time, you are not mad just unbelievably unrealistic. He looked like a bloke who had won the lottery and was totally, unbeknown to him, out of his depth.

That’s where we are now. Failing at the hands of a lottery winner. He will disappear into insignificance after this job. At least he’ll have a few mill in the bank though!

8 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Im fed up of DS being a mouthpiece. Always says the right things pre and post match. He's one of the people etc.

Never ever learns from mistakes and practices what he preaches. 

What he says to camera I have no issue with, I wouldn’t expect anything else from any manager.  I want to hope behind the scenes he’s taking no prisoners but I’m not seeing that on today’s performance

30 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

I think he needs to go 4 at the back now. 2 lines of midfield then. A three in front of the back four to eventually stop teams running directly at our defence, and then a narrow 2 ahead of them behind the striker. Full backs provide the width and for God's sake move forward and back as a unit. There's always a ridiculous amount of space between our "lines". Intellligent players of which there are a lot in the PL just have a field day and the midfield 2 just get overran every game. 

I'd go 

Doug           Drinkwater         Nakamba

El Ghazi/Hourihane               Grealish

McGinn for Nakamba when he's back or maybe as the advanced midfielder beside Grealish. There needs to be legs around Drinkwater in any case because he can't move.

A whisker away from 433 which wasn’t working, however you work it up you are literally having the same formation pre going to 3 at the back.

If it wasn’t for the fact our other defenders we so shocking at the moment I’d be somewhat tempted to put Mings as the deep central midfielder because too many opposition attacks are walking through our central midfield, which is half our problem.  Mings can defend, has height, anticipates the play and can pass the ball well, taking the pressure off our defenders a bit as our current central midfielders can’t seem to do any of that.  Sadly our central defenders look lost with Mings with them so he can’t move.

I don't think any formation changes really matter at this point. Our problems are more fundamental than that.

The team can't defend no matter the formation. And I stress this heavily because due to a combination of luck and great goalkeeping, we've managed to concede a lot less goals than we should have. We have the worst xGA in the league, 7 goals more than next place West Ham.. There is something wrong with how these players are being coached imo. I've been saying this months ago but since then it hasn't changed. As we swapped players and formations, is still hasn't changed. No matter how I look at it, Smith is at fault for the defensive frailties of the club whether its through the tactics he's been trying to play or the coaching. I don't think it will change so long as he's in charge. Yes a lot of them are individual mistakes but these individual mistakes happen because of how much pressure we are always under and that's on the team and therefore, the manager.

On the attacking side, its really just been the Jack Grealish show. Everything goes through him. When he's off his game, its pretty much a guaranteed loss. We give the ball to him and hope he makes some magic with it. That's the only effective attacking tactic we have.

Whilst I do think we'll likely go down at this point, I definitely don't think its a sure thing. We could survive by the skin of our teeth somehow, its possible. But even if we do, I can't say I'd be impressed with what Smith has done this season. Quite frankly, I don't think the board expected a 17th place finish this season either. I really don't. They were definitely looking to do a Wolves or a Sheffield with the money they put in this season.

Edit: Also, I think the team really is better than they are showing under Smith. I don't buy this idea that all our players are Championship standard. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2

Tbh his post match rant just made me think of Graham Taylor “do I not like that” 

absolutely sick of it, had enough over the last 30 years. I know he deserves some respect but frankly I don’t care I just want to win or survive. 

If we go down Jack goes United (he’s 50% out the door if we survive) and I’ll never forgive anyone involved with our club if I have to watch another of our best players sold on. 

Just get him out our club ASAP, get fat Sam in on a contract till the summer give him a few mill if he keeps us up. It’s a gamble but we’re **** unless we roll the dice

7 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I don't think any formation changes really matter at this point. Our problems are more fundamental than that.

The team can't defend no matter the formation. And I stress this heavily because due to a combination of luck and great goalkeeping, we've managed to concede a lot less goals than we should have. We have the worst xGA in the league, 7 goals more than next place West Ham.. There is something wrong with how these players are being coached imo. I've been saying this months ago but since then it hasn't changed. As we swapped players and formations, is still hasn't changed. No matter how I look at it, Smith is at fault for the defensive frailties of the club whether its through the tactics he's been trying to play or the coaching. I don't think it will change so long as he's in charge. Yes a lot of them are individual mistakes but these individual mistakes happen because of how much pressure we are always under and that's on the team and therefore, the manager.

On the attacking side, its really just been the Jack Grealish show. Everything goes through him. When he's off his game, its pretty much a guaranteed loss. We give the ball to him and hope he makes some magic with it. That's the only effective attacking tactic we have.

Whilst I do think we'll likely go down at this point, I definitely don't think its a sure thing. We could survive by the skin of our teeth somehow, its possible. But even if we do, I can't say I'd be impressed with what Smith has done this season. Quite frankly, I don't think the board expected a 17th place finish this season either. I really don't. They were definitely looking to do a Wolves or a Sheffield with the money they put in this season.

In the main i agree, but the board would i believe been happy with 17th place this season .

IMO we are relegated and what really concerns me is not the owners , as there intentions are obviously  good for every one connected to the club. My issue is the people who are making the football decisions  of our football club on behalf of our owners.

You can not deploy the strategy we have this season and expect to survive, it hurts so much as this great clubs name  takes another roll in the gutter down to poor basic football decisions. I just hope they stick around long enough to appoint the right people to make the right decisions and move the club in the right direction . 

8 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Tbh his post match rant just made me think of Graham Taylor “do I not like that” 

absolutely sick of it, had enough over the last 30 years. I know he deserves some respect but frankly I don’t care I just want to win or survive. 

If we go down Jack goes United (he’s 50% out the door if we survive) and I’ll never forgive anyone involved with our club if I have to watch another of our best players sold on. 

Just get him out our club ASAP, get fat Sam in on a contract till the summer give him a few mill if he keeps us up. It’s a gamble but we’re **** unless we roll the dice

it too late pal , we have assembled another shower of shite!! The question is who can come in and move this forward next year with the likes of Mings Grealish and Mcginn long gone! 

5 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

it too late pal , we have assembled another shower of shite!! The question is who can come in and move this forward next year with the likes of Mings Grealish and Mcginn long gone! 

Think you could give 11 games to a relegation avoider like fat Sam then get the right man in over the summer

9 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I'd rather lose every single remaining game and drop to the Championship than have Sam Allardyce in charge. 

I would have Alex McLeish back for the final 11 games if it guaranteed our survival and meant that Grealish stayed next season.

Sack him in the summer of course.

For those saying if he was at any other club that he would be under a lot of fan pressure. Let's look at Norwich from last year to this year. They stormed the C'ship and won promotion by 11 points off of Leeds in 3rd. They were 18 points ahead of us. Fast forward to this season, and we are still in 17th and Norwich sit rock bottom 7 points off of us. Why don't I see Norwich fans consistently moaning about Farke, that he isn't a good manager for them, or that he should be sacked?

I'm still undecided on whether we should sack him in a few, but to do so at this moment in time (before a cup final) imo would be madness. 

• Like 1

Â