Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I fear you are on to something Mike.

If he has said that and I admire him for his honesty, because we can all see it......there is usually only one out come.

In the post match interview he said he was ‘angry’ with the players and something like... we were lacking commitment, Watford were more committed than we were. He then proceeded to bitch extensively about their two goals. He sounded like a manager who fears the worst. Very sad. 

• Like 1

It is a hard one. The same thing happened last year and we stuck with Dean who eventually turned it around with the return of Jack from injury. He cannot rely on this now Though so does he have anything else in his locker to turn this around?

The key thing is, we should definitely stick unless there is a better option available. I’m not sure who that is but it is pointless replacing Dean with a run of the mill journeyman. 

4 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

It is a hard one. The same thing happened last year and we stuck with Dean who eventually turned it around with the return of Jack from injury. He cannot rely on this now Though so does he have anything else in his locker to turn this around?

The key thing is, we should definitely stick unless there is a better option available. I’m not sure who that is but it is pointless replacing Dean with a run of the mill journeyman. 

I really don’t want DS sacked but he looked and sounded clueless after the game. He picked the team and set the tactics. His plan B, if that’s what it was didn’t work. Our players were a yard slower than Watford... one of the worst teams in the PL. 

Edited by MikeMcKenna

4 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

With a transfer window coming this is probably the time to make the change and let the new man bring 2 or 3 of his players in - if dean does go we need a replacement lined up immediately though - no time to waste 

8 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

In the post match interview he said he was ‘angry’ with the players and something like... we were lacking commitment, Watford were more committed than we were. He then proceeded to bitch extensively about their two goals. He sounded like a manager who fears the worst. Very sad. 

This has been the case for weeks.

Just sounds like he has lost the trust by a big chunk of his players. And if that is the case he has to go simple as that.

What happened to playing football and pressing aswell? When he first came in and even at the start of the season we seemed to be playing a pretty decent style and were positive. The team we've put out the last 5-6 games has looked like a Lambert era team. It really has been utterly abject

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Main difference is we won't be playing garbage sides like Bolton, Wigan and Birmingham. He won't be able to turn this around he's shown that the past few games. 

37 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

God some of you on here are so embarassing listen to yourselves and think where you were just a year ago and even getting tanked by the likes of us.If you hound a decent manager like Dean out of your club in such a short time I suggest you look towards the where the likes of Stoke or Forrest have ended up.There are plenty of Big clubs stuck in the lower leagues these days and all have been guilty of forever changing managers and ending up skint.If the worse came to the worse and you went down Dean could get you back up and stronger like Sean D at Burnley.FFS Big Sam 

What a ridiculous comment.

We are in free fall. Players doesn't look interested and the tactics are horrific. We are getting embarrassed every week.

The other Brentford fan on here speaks more sense.

• Like 2

I just want to see some change from him. I want him to succeed. He has to become more ruthless. He’s continued with one or two players and a system that we cannot fulfill for too long. We keep repeating and expecting different outcome. Madness. Playing how we do with Wesley isn’t working, if we continue with the guy we’ll get relegated. Make changes. 

1 minute ago, Cliffy Biro said:

What happened to playing football and pressing aswell? When he first came in and even at the start of the season we seemed to be playing a pretty decent style and were positive. The team we've put out the last 5-6 games has looked like a Lambert era team. It really has been utterly abject

We have folded since Mings got injured.  Just a complete lack of leader and organiser at the back, albeit Hause is one of the few to come out with any credit recently.  He is such a big part of our play by playing from the back, ever since he has gone we have completely bypassed the midfield and stopped playing with any fluidity.  Added to this centre halves have Wesley in their pocket we have massive problems all over the pitch.  We can only correct it by having Mings back and at least two signings, or changing manager to someone the calibre of Rafa.

As soon as we saw his team I think most people thought we were going to be in trouble. He seems happy as anything to chop and change the players but sticks rigidly to the same formation and tactics. If you expect premier league quality from Connor, Henri, Jota, Elmo then you are gonna be disappointed. Three of them are never up for the fight either.

I’m not sure why he has dropped Fred either. He is our only pacy player. He is not the best but at least he offers a threat out wide.

Lots to ponder for the manager. Hopefully Mings will be back for the next match. I would bring him and Engels back in and play a back five with Fred and Targett as wing backs.

He's lost 2 games we were reasonable expected to get results from , Southampton and Watford . We can't sack him and the owners would be stupid to. As a fan it's easy to say he has to go but if he hasn't brought all the players then they would be weak and foolish to give way to the calls for him to go. 

We need to buy championship players who fight for their team in January , if we go down and we are probably going to , we can compete in that league. If we go down with this team then we will stay down , Luis, Nakamba , Elgahzi , Elmo , Trez haven't got the heart for the fight it takes to succeed .

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

We have folded since Mings got injured.  Just a complete lack of leader and organiser at the back, albeit Hause is one of the few to come out with any credit recently.  He is such a big part of our play by playing from the back, ever since he has gone we have completely bypassed the midfield and stopped playing with any fluidity.  Added to this centre halves have Wesley in their pocket we have massive problems all over the pitch.  We can only correct it by having Mings back and at least two signings, or changing manager to someone the calibre of Rafa.

We were on a downward spiral before mings injury - I think the Liverpool defeat really hit us hard 

38 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I don't think they will sack him. In a strange way, I actually think we got promoted too early but that's a different debate for another day. I think we should stick by him even though I'm close to saying he should go.

I don't see any available managers out there who could come in and improve us with a long term plan in mind.

If we do go down I'd fancy Smith to bring us straight back up. My biggest concern is that we would lose Grealish and that will be the most devastating thing to happen. 

We won't be coming straight back up without Grealish.

Relegation would be a disaster on many levels.

• Like 1

The biggest concern for me is that Smith doesn't even look like he knows what to do, which is a million miles away from where we were last season.

Saying that we did have Mings, Tuanzebe, Grealish, McGinn and Abraham in the Championship so you would have expected us to be right up there anyway.

Give him Burnley, when we inevitably lose sack him.

Fed up of watching this dross, his stubbornness is killing us. I’ve been to every game this season, watched it progressively get worse and watched Smith look more and more clueless as it’s gone on.

We are sleep walking into relegation and it’s pathetic.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, tinker said:

He's lost 2 games we were reasonable expected to get results from , Southampton and Watford . We can't sack him and the owners would be stupid to. As a fan it's easy to say he has to go but if he hasn't brought all the players then they would be weak and foolish to give way to the calls for him to go. 

We need to buy championship players who fight for their team in January , if we go down and we are probably going to , we can compete in that league. If we go down with this team then we will stay down , Luis, Nakamba , Elgahzi , Elmo , Trez haven't got the heart for the fight it takes to succeed .

Disagree. As fans, with the exception of last year, we have suffered 9-10 years of absolute garbage and terrible managers. Imho, they would be foolish to keep him and I say that as someone who will be very sad if he is sacked. Nothing easy about being a Villa fan, especially if you end up managing them...

Edited by MikeMcKenna

Just now, Eastie said:

We were on a downward spiral before mings injury - I think the Liverpool defeat really hit us hard 

But then we beat Newcastle convincingly and were the better team for large parts away against Utd.  There's a difference between us being up and down earlier in the season but having a pattern of play and what we've served up since Mings came off injured.  Heaton doesnt pass the ball any more, neither do our centre halves, our midfielders who are mainly passers rather than destroyers don't pass it either as they rarely get it, the ball bounces off Wes.  Jack is still silky as **** when he is on the ball and is our only real hope along with Conor getting the ball within 20 yards of their goal.  It was similar last year, people say our form went downhill when Jack was injured but it's overlooked how Tuanzebe was a big part of how Dean wanted us to play and was injured at the same time.  This is probably a criticism of Dean not having a plan B really.  On the other hand I've not got to the point where I think we are beyond salvation under him.  Obviously if a top quality manager is available then I'm all for changing.

• Like 1

Â