Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Look.....I want it to work for Dean, but it isn't and I have doubts it will, unless he changes dramatically and kicks this naive football in to the long grass.....its time for them all the man up.

The Elghazi/Mings Incident was the watershed for me, when he said the boys have sorted it out themselves, before I got in( when asked by a journalist).......Brian Clough,Ron Saunders, Bill Shankly or SAF would have made it their mission to get in that dressing room first and tear a strip off them, for compromising the teams performance.

It was a golden opportunity lost ,to make his mark and stamp his Authority.....He looks passive to me and I think it is showing in our play......They say a team mirrors their manager......I sincerely hope I am wrong.

Speaks volumes to me that comment that Smith didnt get involved in that ElGazi, Mings incident. I was actually shocked he didnt have a word, only if it was just to say dont embarrass the club arguing on the pitch, no one likes to see that. I think the truth is he is tol soft. They obviously dont listen to Smith at half time either. 

Think we will see over the next few games if there is problem behind closed doors. I always used to say, when a manager starts to blame the players he's on his way. Smith only blames the players, never admits in any game he may have got it wrong. Worrying.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:
  • I was referring to grit & Audacity in the main, you interpreted the rest.....but the point was Many would not even consider a player like Deeney ( irrespective of his Blues connections) he is not "show biz "enough, too much grass roots.....the second bit is too many sherberts, me thinks.
  • Huge Stars? who
  • I think we have failed to get the best out of some, Albrighton- Traore-Stevens to name a few.

I was joking in large part on the Gray/Deeney - like I said I like Deeney! Huge stars - I am thinking the likes of Gary Cahill going on to captain England - but to be fair I don’t think the fans ever didn’t rate him, just the management...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Lost for words in regards what's written about Deano here. Just no words. 

We are in the bottom 3. Lost 4 games in a row. Just lost 3-1 at home to a relegation rival.

Players doesn't seem to care.

Fans have every right to heavily criticize Smith.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Lost for words in regards what's written about Deano here. Just no words. 

He's struggling chap. You dont wanna turn him into the next Lambert now do you. Its early in his career,  we should let him go to learn his trade a bit more, preferably in the championship. Villa is no place to learn, fans here have never give managers much time and I would hate it to go toxic on Smith, that wouldn't be on.

It'll have to get really wretched for Smith to go this season. I really don't want to see how wretched, it'll be so bad.

Purslow runs the club and loves Dean. He's willing to work in the system he's put in place. He's great with the media and won't throw the club under the bus in public. Imagine other managers if they'd been given these signings? They'd be going mad every press conference....we have to strengthen, these lot aren't experienced enough...blah blah. The place to do it is behind closed doors, and I'm sure that's where Smith has voiced concerns.

In fact, I think if he does go this season it'll be coming from above Purslow. Our chairmen watching on from USA and wondering why we're stinking the place out having spent £140m.

Stop putting the manager above the club.

He had over 100 mill and spent it on flops. Stats, performances and table shows.

I back the club not one man. He is an employee. Managers have been sacked for far less. That is fact like our wins and losses.

I don't trust this man to spend any more money.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I imagine they would reflect a bit upon the fact we came up through play offs. 

That we lost our entire spine of loaned players. 

That we bought a brand new team for £140 million. 

That Man Utd bought a single player for 60% of that and we just drew them away. 

That we've largely done very good this season up to the last 3 losses. 

That we almost beat both Arsenal and Liverpool who have players worth more than 60% of that budget.

How much was Pepe again?

And a lot of other stuff I cba. writing on a phone. 

Like I said, I don't want to see how bad it gets for them to get involved.

I didn't expect that Southampton performance from us at all. If we repeat it v Norwich and Watford we are losing both in a similar fashion. It'll be a grim grim season going forward.

49 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Stop putting the manager above the club.

He had over 100 mill and spent it on flops. Stats, performances and table shows.

I back the club not one man. He is an employee. Managers have been sacked for far less. That is fact like our wins and losses.

I don't trust this man to spend any more money.

Nobody's putting the manager above the club.

People just want to support a club that gives managers a fair crack at it. He hasn't even had half a season in the Premier League.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

So you want a change of manager, because if it's as deep as you surmise then crossing one's fingers is an exercise in futility. I want this manager to stay and to be given the chance to turn things around. Another new manager at this stage isn't going to be the answer. The players need to take the bull by it's horns. Hopefully the fans will be right behind them on Wednesday and that can give them the momentum to compete for what will be a very important victory. I refuse to believe the team is in demise. When things are this bad every mistake is magnified and it always seems worse than what it is. Yes, there are some concerning problems,

but a Villa Park awash with negativity isn't going to solve them. 

Through thick and thin, let's get behind them and keep the faith. 

who is claiming it would solve them? , but neither will blind faith solve it,either......it requires effective action.

I haven't suggested changing the manager, but I make no apology for asking questions of him.

The fans have been behind the team all season, so to suggest otherwise is disingenuous, the first boo's appeared week end and was probably deserved, although I don't do booing.

it was sarcasm the finger crossing.

you have that the wrong way around " when we make that many mistakes things get this bad"

54 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Like I said, I don't want to see how bad it gets for them to get involved.

I didn't expect that Southampton performance from us at all. If we repeat it v Norwich and Watford we are losing both in a similar fashion. It'll be a grim grim season going forward.

In hindsight, playing Engels against Shane Long was a mismatch. Long is one of the fastest players in the Premier League, and I'm guessing Engels is one of the slowest. Engels has looked solid against top technical strikers like Kane and Firmino, but he has a huge weakness against pace.

Another manager might have started Konsa, who is a bit less composed than Engels, but much more athletic. He probably could have handled Long better.

Little decisions like that make a massive difference in the Premier League. I get the impression Smith sees himself as a "positive" manager who doesn't like thinking about how to frustrate the opposition. But if he wants to manage here long term, I think he needs to start showing more street smarts. Benitez used to do stuff like accidentally putting the wrong formation when he submitted the lineup before a game, or getting players to start on opposite wings for the first 5 mins, or asking his players to feed misinformation to their international teammates... I think you need to be a bit devious to succeed at this level.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We are in the bottom 3. Lost 4 games in a row. Just lost 3-1 at home to a relegation rival.

Players doesn't seem to care.

Fans have every right to heavily criticize Smith.

It wasn't just the result that has us worried.....its the manner of the defeat.

what some players were doing, god only knows?

3 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

By the way I actually agree with you TRO. We don't defend as a unit. It's not a defender issue but a team issue. Positional, Spatial awareness, with and without the ball. Movement, marking, covering. The fundamentals are just not on point atm. I actually think the defence get a hard time because of our midfields inability to grip games by the scruff of the neck. 

On the Money.

I am really worried, because, i think its going to be a bugger to fix.

I do think losing our best players has compounded the problem, but I think its been there all season....THE TEAM simply can't defend adequately enough.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Speaks volumes to me that comment that Smith didnt get involved in that ElGazi, Mings incident. I was actually shocked he didnt have a word, only if it was just to say dont embarrass the club arguing on the pitch, no one likes to see that. I think the truth is he is tol soft. They obviously dont listen to Smith at half time either. 

Think we will see over the next few games if there is problem behind closed doors. I always used to say, when a manager starts to blame the players he's on his way. Smith only blames the players, never admits in any game he may have got it wrong. Worrying.

If he is too soft.....I despair, because it will only be a matter of time.

I don't expect him to shout and bawl, but as a manager you have to be sharp witted and decisive, amongst many other things of course.

I sincerely hope he is not.

2 hours ago, KHV said:

Lose to Norwich and he has to go for me

Starting to look like Gardes side more and more each week

Traits of RDM for me.....I hope he proves me wrong.

Edited by TRO

Â