Dean Smith

Demitri_C

10 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Norwich had 21 shots against us.

Are any of you concerned about that?

.....and only 5 on target, with only 1 really testing the keeper. Anyone can shoot on a football pitch, it's like when you play your mate on the playstation and he shoots every time he's within 35 yards of goal then laments you "being lucky" when you beat him 2-0.

Edited by carewjust4u
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Norwich had 21 shots against us.

ARE ANY OF YOU CONCERNED ABOUT THAT!?

No need to thank me, just a mild adjustment. Preferably the gravity of the question should be conveyed orally by a certified Shakespearean actor. :detect:

• Haha 1

On 08/10/2019 at 00:59, MaVilla said:

10/10/2019, Deano's 12 month anniversary as Villa boss.

15th ish in the championship when he took over?, to 15th ish in the Premiership on his 1 year anniversary as manager?

Not 2 bad my son, not 2 bad.

48 matches 50/25/25% WDL record pretty solid

• Like 2

On 07/10/2019 at 12:59, MaVilla said:

10/10/2019, Deano's 12 month anniversary as Villa boss.

15th ish in the championship when he took over?, to 15th ish in the Premiership on his 1 year anniversary as manager?

Not 2 bad my son, not 2 bad.

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

I’m interested to see what Dean can do with a transfer window when and if we can establish ourselves in the Prem. He’s had an unbelievable first year, but as a team promoted from the Championship I am conscious that we were not exactly a draw for top level talent. The folks we’ve brought in have largely done very well, and are a good base. Add one or two top quality players (probably inside forwards) and we could be in business. We just need a bit more ability in the final third. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HKP90 said:

I’m interested to see what Dean can do with a transfer window when and if we can establish ourselves in the Prem. He’s had an unbelievable first year, but as a team promoted from the Championship I am conscious that we were not exactly a draw for top level talent. The folks we’ve brought in have largely done very well, and are a good base. Add one or two top quality players (probably inside forwards) and we could be in business. We just need a bit more ability in the final third. 

A couple of Rafael Leao type signings and we're flying. Our defence and midfield is very solid. Our attack can use some polishing, but we'll see where they're at by the end of the season.

Edited by Keyblade

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

A couple of Rafael Leao type signings and we're flying. Our defence and midfield is very solid. Our attack can use some polishing, but we'll see where they're at by the end of the season.

It’s weird, during the pre season I hadn’t heard of the majority of our signings, but Leao was the one I really wanted. I knew nothing of him, but the signing seemed the most exciting. Having just watched his Milan goal I think my excitement was justified. If we’ve got scouts looking at players like him we’ve got some exciting times ahead. I really trust this set up from top to bottom to get it right.

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

It’s weird, during the pre season I hadn’t heard of the majority of our signings, but Leao was the one I really wanted. I knew nothing of him, but the signing seemed the most exciting. Having just watched his Milan goal I think my excitement was justified. If we’ve got scouts looking at players like him we’ve got some exciting times ahead. I really trust this set up from top to bottom to get it right.

Didn't even see his goal, now I'm excited. I saw him play in the Milan derby and he was their only bright spark. It's just that he's exactly the kind of player we needed. We have a couple of out and out wingers, great. But good inside forwards will take us to the next level. I think El Ghazi could develop into one to be fair, but Leao would have been an excellent signing.

On 09/10/2019 at 01:23, A'Villan said:

Many fans are reserved in their view of Smith, and breakdown each performance as they see it, not everybody is so eager to cast judgement on how the season will progress so easily.

I'm neither flippant nor fickle when I talk about Dean Smith. That doesn't change week-to-week. I'm really pleased with what's happening and optimistic about what's to come.

He has my full support, and has had since it became apparent to me how impressive his ability to come in and make changes necessary to turn this club around as a footballing entity.

His immediacy in establishing a framework for how he envisioned us playing football allowed us to turn what was looking a very mediocre season into an exciting and successful one.

It became apparent to me early on, even as results went the other way, that we were going to be capable of achieving our goal of promotion should we persist with Smith's plans.

This campaign thus far, I've only really been disappointed with the showing against Crystal Palace. That's the only game where I feel like we were down and out of the contest.

I have said previously, given time and encouragement, Smith will lead us to greater performances and create an identity and culture that will give us every chance in any game.

We saw it in the Championship. There were some growing pains and a lot of fans started with their doubts about results and Smith's pedigree and if he was up to the challenge.

In the end, he accomplished what two managers of notable success, with an absolute war chest to buy players, failed to do. He got us promoted.

I don't know because I've never spoken or worked with him, but I get the feeling Smith is diligent with regards to developing his understanding of what's required of his role.

Now that we are where we want to be division-wise, we must re-assess what we need to survive and even thrive. I firmly believe Smith will be integral in us achieving and ascending.

Very spot on A'VILLAN, wonderful post.

Only one thing I disagree with and that's the palace bit. We had so much go against us then, that it was inevitable that we would lose. When you have a ref alone completely out doing the whole team and messing up our players day, was an injustice in itself. Kevin Friend, the scourge of officiating screwed us in so many ways that day that it's easy for some to see that game as us being the disappointment, we actually played very good and really it's a game we should of won.

Only one game I was disappointed with and that was spurs, because we didn't make them suffer and couldn't make a win happen from a game where we wonderfully nullified one of the leagues best. Yes a trial by fire, spurs first game, a loss was always on the card but for that 60-70 mins we really  early caused that first upset of the season, then Erikkson happened.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Yes keyblade agreed that a new LB must be brought in whether it's top quality as first choice so injury prone target gets enough rest or it's another decent signing like target so there is decent cover if target is subbed or gets injured. The only answer I see is Hause at the moment and I'd like that to be properly tested to see how it works before we buy a new LB because I really like Hause and feel sad that Taylor is being chosen above him when Taylor is making a mess at the moment.

As for the front I'd say we certainly need a couple more options for wings and one more for striker. However if we bring quality in for the wings is more than possible Jota and Trezeguet slip down the pecking order which isn't really good, especially now Jacks on the left. I think no matter what this time if we should make new signings, we have to break bank and bring a few lads in who can cross and feed our lone striker. which  brings me to our lone striker, no where am I saying that we should take Wesley out, but we do need a back up. It would not hurt to bring someone in who is proven and who doesn't mind being that guy with Wesley where both can at anytime be swapped because it's good to leave  the opposition baffled, have one on for one half and the other for second half.

No matter what i think Taylor, Elmo and Kodjia will be gone after this season, if another bid for Kodjia comes in January I wouldn't hesitate to sell him. In some ways I bet he's annoyed at that offer being turned down for 7 million because as times gone on I always get this feeling from Kodjia that somehow he just doesn't want to be at Aston Villa anymore.

On 06/10/2019 at 07:24, villalad21 said:

Criticizing Smith when he is doing something bad doesn't mean people are Smith out or hating on him.

Smith just like any manager out there isn't immune to criticism.

Good job yesterday Smith, well done.

But, if we think he will never make mistakes, we are living in cuckoo land.

Its foolish to praise or criticise too quickly or on the basis of an incident in a match or on a match by match basis.

A Manager should be appraised over a period of time that his work is tangible.....and on  a general basis like managing players and coaching staff, recruitment, blend and so on and so on.

I think they are sometimes praised and criticised for the wrong things.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, TRO said:

But, if we think he will never make mistakes, we are living in cuckoo land.

Its foolish to praise or criticise too quickly or on the basis of an incident in a match or on a match by match basis.

A Manager should be appraised over a period of time that his work is tangible.....and on  a general basis like managing players and coaching staff, recruitment, blend and so on and so on.

I think they are sometimes praised and criticised for the wrong things.

i think criticising for losing games where events transpire out of their control such as palace is unfair. the ref wanted us to lose that game from the first to the last minute and i'm amazed he wasn't reprimanded for it, so it's a performance that's difficult to judge.

arsenal however, where 3000 fans plus many watching on streams, who i assume do not have UEFA coaching licenses, can all see that subs are required as 10 man opposition are starting to boss the midfield, is perfectly acceptable to criticise when said subs do not happen.

we know that he will make mistakes...same as the players...and they understand that they will be criticised when they happen. it goes with the territory. by criticising however, it doesnt make you a 'smith hater' as social media tends to call you.

• Like 1

I can't overstate how grateful and pleased I am to have Smith (and Suso/Purslow) in charge. People get very wrapped up in the moment and the fact that many are disappointed with not being in the top half of the premier league after what has been a very promising start blows my mind. 

One year ago we were 14th in the Championship with an ageing squad and not a shred of optimism - compare that to our strong start in the prem with a squad that oozes potential, which hasn't even got a glimpse of it's ceiling yet. UTV.

• Like 3

Â