Dean Smith

Demitri_C

You don't drop Wesley at this stage. Firstly, he's scored 2 goals in 7 games. If he scores again in the next 2 games then he is on for a 1:3 ratio which is pretty good. More importantly imagine the confidence lost if he gets dropped. He needs games to get used to the team, the league etc. 

50 minutes ago, omariqy said:

You don't drop Wesley at this stage. Firstly, he's scored 2 goals in 7 games. If he scores again in the next 2 games then he is on for a 1:3 ratio which is pretty good. More importantly imagine the confidence lost if he gets dropped. He needs games to get used to the team, the league etc. 

If you said this 3-4 matches ago I'd agree with you. He deserved to get a continued run of 6-7 matches. 2 goals so far isn't bad at all. The problem is that he's largely been very very poor. And it kinda was at his worst against Burnley. Nevermind him just playing poorly, not being able to shoot better than a 12 year old, but his playacting bullshit is enough alone to drop him for Davis.

It's not like his Villa career is over. It's a squad game. You perform you play. You don't you get taken out. That simple. If his confidence can't handle that after starting the first 7 matches, well then he's in the wrong profession. 

But if we were to rotate out Wesley, it wouldn't be for Kodjia haha. It would be Davis. Kodjia might be able to offer a magical unpredictable move every blue moon. Problem is that other than that he is completely shit. We need hold-up play in this league when we try to dominate by bringing the midfield into play. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 3

Great interview with DS. He challenges a couple of the myths that have come out about lack of fitness and whether we are throwing leads away for the same reason each time.

He also has some good stuff to say the Targett injury (nothing come up on the scan) and generally I think gives a good analysis of where we are.

Also great to hear what he says at the end about Davis and Wesley. Sounds like Wesley has the right attitude behind the scenes.

(Can we please find a better interviewer, though, he's such a helmet.)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, omariqy said:

I won’t argue with the first point as that’s fairly valid I suppose, Omari. 

It’s starting to get a little annoying though that people keep stating he can’t be dropped because it might upset him. Boo f****** hoo.

We might as well relegate ourselves now if we’re going to get into a routine of never dropping players because it hurts their feelings.

If Wesley has anything about him, when he’s dropped (which he deserves to be, no question), he should use that as a kick up the arse to come back fitter, stronger and fully firing. And by that I mean maybe win a header or two. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, omariqy said:

I don’t get why he should lose confidence if he’s dropped. It’s a squad game. He shouldn’t expect to start every game regardless of what we paid for him.

Does this mean Luiz shouldn’t have been dropped either?

edit: if anything what’s its doing to Davis’s confident when he gets a few minutes here and there and seems to make more of an impact than Wesley did the whole game. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Give it a month and Taylor will be getting Roberto Carlos like praise

Taylor is ok though, he came defend a bit at championship level.

He's good really, Welsh international, defends well and although isn't exactly Roberto Carlos, he does his best going forward.

He's actually very very good, classy defender who in fairness hasn't been given enough of a run in the team since we got promoted, would shore up our left side for sure and offer at least an outlet going forward, after all we need a defender to defend, and he proved he can defend.

Nailed on LB starter, the Roberto Carlos of the defensive LB, attacking left backs are overrated anyway we need a solid defence and he is a world class Welsh international defender, he's also pretty good going forward, similar to Roberto Carlos.

Taylor is literally Roberto Carlos in disguise, Deano is literally a fool for not picking him, sack Deano, out of his depth, we need our world class Roberto Carlos type left back playing, give him the managers job, Taylor would be a good player manager........

20 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

I think your wrong. How many goals has Kodjia scored out of nothing, or made something happen with little service? Plenty is the answer. Kodjia just like any other forward lives on confidence. What it is starting to boil down to is who would score the most goals per games out of our forwards....My money would be on Kodjia all day with what I have seen up to now. 

TBH we don't have many options. I also think Kodjia is the only natural goalscorer we have up front. And if we want to talk about effort on the pitch then the last couple of games Wes has been anonymous therefore we have nothing to lose. Davis isn't good enough to lead the line imo and should be used from one of the wide front positions if possible to get him minutes and where his work rate is needed more. Especially when our wide players are tiring. Kodjia scores goals when played up front. We need more goal threat. People are quick to forget how prolific Kodjia has been and just write him off through his work rate when played out wide. The work rate from Wes has been nothing short of abysmal since the Everton game. Maybe he needs taking out for a week or two. 

I'm not say Kodjia is the answer long term but he sure isn't the problem currently and never has been when he has put on the shirt. I think Wes will come good but it is obvious that he is not going to start banging in goals prolifically or create the spaces for others because at the moment he is far to static in games.

If you are basing your comments on the championship, this is a whole different ball game.

wes is being closed down and taken out.....they would have Kodj for breakfast, he is not sufficiently physically adept to impose his skill, they would reduce him to a passenger.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TRO said:

If you are basing your comments on the championship, this is a whole different ball game.

wes is being closed down and taken out.....they would have Kodj for breakfast, he is not sufficiently physically adept to impose his skill, they would reduce him to a passenger.

No... I am basing my comments on what I see as examples not what I haven't seen as you are. Your presuming he can't cut rather than having an example of which to base your own opinions. And here we go again with the whole, "Never done it in the top league crap". You forget Kodjia has played at international level. He isn't some obscure lower league player.

If we don't get a win against Norwich then don't let the door hit you on the way out our kid. Just a joke, and I've never said 'our kid' in my life. Really hope we can the three points though.

9 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

No... I am basing my comments on what I see as examples not what I haven't seen as you are. Your presuming he can't cut rather than having an example of which to base your own opinions. And here we go again with the whole, "Never done it in the top league crap". You forget Kodjia has played at international level. He isn't some obscure lower league player.

Not True.....you have no more idea than I do.....we are both predicting( he hasn't done anything in this league yet).....except you are saying he scored some great goals in the championship and I agree.....I am saying players/Defenders in this league give you no space, unless you make it.....I can't see Kodj being able to make that space to score the goals you champion him for.

I am not saying he will not do it and I have said before Kodj has talent.....having the physicality and determined will to apply it, is my concern....I just have doubts.

What I am saying is....judging by what I have seen of him,since he joined us... his overall play, not just his superb goals, I have doubts that he will make any great headway in this Premier league. I will be delighted if he proves me wrong.....such is my opinion of how defenders are so much more alert at closing down and denying forwards space to play in.

should he play on Saturday against Norwich?.....probably a good fit as Norwich are not as Aggressive as Burnley, But Its the Managers Call.

I also think its a bit pre-mature to be writing off Wes.....He has aspects he needs to improve on, no doubt.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I think the main criticism is making the right substitutions at the right time, Deano needs to bring players on at a time they can effect the outcome.

bringing Elmo on late in the game for Trez or El Ghazi does not make us any less likely to concede late goals.

Davis coming on for less the last 10-15 mins is also pointless.

He can't be afraid of taking McGinn or Grealish off if they have run themselves into the ground.

I personally would like to see what we would look like if we had two up front with Davis there to win balls and hold the ball up and Wes staying in and around the penalty area, even if this happened at the 60 minute mark to try and turn a game around.

On 02/10/2019 at 20:16, TRO said:

Not True.....you have no more idea than I do.....we are both predicting( he hasn't done anything in this league yet).....except you are saying he scored some great goals in the championship and I agree.....I am saying players/Defenders in this league give you no space, unless you make it.....I can't see Kodj being able to make that space to score the goals you champion him for.

I am not saying he will not do it and I have said before Kodj has talent.....having the physicality and determined will to apply it, is my concern....I just have doubts.

What I am saying is....judging by what I have seen of him,since he joined us... his overall play, not just his superb goals, I have doubts that he will make any great headway in this Premier league. I will be delighted if he proves me wrong.....such is my opinion of how defenders are so much more alert at closing down and denying forwards space to play in.

should he play on Saturday against Norwich?.....probably a good fit as Norwich are not as Aggressive as Burnley, But Its the Managers Call.

I also think its a bit pre-mature to be writing off Wes.....He has aspects he needs to improve on, no doubt.

I would argue any of the top ten teams in the championship can play with any of the bottom ten teams in the prem for 60 minutes. The gap in quality isn't that high especially compared to the top 6 in the championship. In my opinion the main difference is the energy.

The last 30 minutes of the game is where a prem team will beat a championship team. It is where we have lost our games. I know deano says our players have similar distance numbers in each half but I would like to know about how fast they are covering those distances. To me it looks like an inability to close down players when they have the ball in dangerous positions.

This is now where I switch to what I really want to say. Kodjia will be an alright player in the prem assuming he can get his fitness levels back up to where they were when he first played for us. If he can he will likely score quite a few goals. I'd still prefer him to be a wonder sub and maybe even play one of el ghazi/mcginn/hourihane as a striker if wes us crap in the next 3 games. 

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

I would argue any of the top ten teams in the championship can play with any of the bottom ten teams in the prem for 60 minutes. The gap in quality isn't that high especially compared to the top 6 in the championship. In my opinion the main difference is the energy.

The last 30 minutes of the game is where a prem team will beat a championship team. It is where we have lost our games. I know deano says our players have similar distance numbers in each half but I would like to know about how fast they are covering those distances. To me it looks like an inability to close down players when they have the ball in dangerous positions.

This is now where I switch to what I really want to say. Kodjia will be an alright player in the prem assuming he can get his fitness levels back up to where they were when he first played for us. If he can he will likely score quite a few goals. I'd still prefer him to be a wonder sub and maybe even play one of el ghazi/mcginn/hourihane as a striker if wes us crap in the next 3 games. 

It looks like that to me too.

I get your first couple of lines.....I would say the Prem teams are more proficient at closing down the opponent, better at reading the game off the ball and subsequently give you less space. I also think they have a better ratio of quality........example only....7/11 quality players v 4 or 5/11 in the championship.

We are not far away and its getting better, but I still see some traits today that we had in the championship.

but I still say.....as a player, you have to win your personal battles.

Jist watched a vid by stuntpegg (the Bolton fan), assessing villa, interesting watch.

Her opinion was a 4231 would suit us best with Luiz and Nakamba in the DM type roles, then Hassan, Mcginn and Grealish the AM 3 behind Wesley.

That line up has been mentioned on here a bit and gotta say I agree and thought it previously.

Even in a 433 I still think the players she chose were right, which were Heaton , targett, Mings, Engels, Guilbert, nakamba, Luiz, Mcginn, Grealish, Hassan, Wesley.

Defo think that is our strongest lineup tbh.

On 28/09/2019 at 18:21, Delphinho123 said:

He’s cost us the last 3 games. Change it you muppet. 

He also inherited a shower and got it promoted. Muppet. 

Â